P2P Extension Expected for FF

Corrine

Blogosphere goes wild for Firefox P2P extensionIngrid MarsonZDNet UKDecember 30, 2005, 11:20 GMT 'This moves Firefox into a realm that Internet Explorer can only dream of at the moment,' says one bloggerBloggers around the world have been talking about the latest Firefox extension, even though it isn't yet available.AllPeers, a company based in the UK, has developed a peer-to-peer tool for the open source browser, which it claims is "the best thing to happen to Firefox...since Firefox.""AllPeers is a free extension which combines the strength of Firefox and the efficiency of BitTorrent to transform your favorite browser into a media sharing powerhouse," states the company Web site.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/0,39020369,39244954,00.htm

This moves Firefox into a realm that Internet Explorer can only dream of at the moment
Well, that's odd. He says that as if Firefox hasn't already done this. :hmm:I know I'm looking forward to it! B) Edited by epp_b

Won't the courts and litigators go after this??? Sure, I'm all for free flow of information, but the government isn't. This can SO easily go the way of Napster, et al., don't you think???

One very handy thing that's already available is search.bittorrent.com in the search bar. Just click the arrow in the search box and "Add Engines"I have it set so the results page .torrent links can open in Azureus (or uTorrent B) inWindows) and start immediately.Great for Linux distros and :ph34r: TV shows. Oh, and live Grateful Dead shows. B)

• 7 months later...

Corrine, where can I get an invitation to participate in the beta? I'd really like to check it out.EDIT: never mind, I just remembered that I registered a while ago already. Registration keys are on their way! :)

Edited by epp_b

Just another way to steal protected content. This could very well blow up in FF's face. Are they responsible for what their users add to their client?

Just another way to steal protected content. This could very well blow up in FF's face. Are they responsible for what their users add to their client?
It depends on how it is used. Is MS responsible for what users install on their products? I think not. IMHO Mozilla is responsible for the Browser only. Al extensions are written by third parties, anyone that has the knowledge can do what they want to Firefox as it is open source.

Oh, just shut it, Marsden :angry:P2P is not stealing, it's a market option that the **AA is too stupid/ignorant/lazy/old-and-dumb to take advantage of. P2P, in and of itself, is not illegal either. It's a method of transfering bits from one PC to another online; as is email, HTTP, FTP, SCP over SSH...need I go on?
Al extensions are written by third parties, anyone that has the knowledge can do what they want to Firefox as it is open source.
Exactly; insulting Firefox because a completely unrelated third party writes an extension that you don't approve of is like someone writing a gadget for Vista and blaming Microsoft if you don't like that gadget.

Well I hear that Congress is considering a new law that would hold the developers of P2P software libel for the actions of people who use it. Whenever you mess with the money stream, people are going to get real pissy about it. That is just the nature of the beast...

Well I hear that Congress is considering a new law that would hold the developers of P2P software libel for the actions of people who use it.
Too bad congress is made up of a bunch of spineless, brainless geezers. P2P is nothing more than a protocol for trasfering bits back and forth. Just like all of the other protocols I mentioned before.

Are they responsible for what their users add to their client?
What about iPods and MP3 players? Are the manufacturers responsible for what users place on that hardware? Who is responsible for creating the software which allows CD or DVD's to be burned? Then again, I suppose if someone attempts to place pirated music on their Zune (whenever MS gets it on the market), the MS security force will zoom in on their Zune and *poof*.Point taken? I hope so. Let's not redirect this thread as yet another FF-bashing. The browser a person uses is their choice.

Guest LilBambi
Point taken? I hope so. Let's not redirect this thread as yet another FF-bashing. The browser a person uses is their choice.
Here! Here!Firefox is simply the browser itself. Its responsibility does not include extensions that folks may choose to create and/or install.P2P is a great technology. So great it can only be used for good or evil (a Firesign Theatre quote).Some choose to do good with it and some do not.It doesn't mean P2P is bad...it's all in how it's used.Like Bittorent, P2P has a great reputation for making downloading of large software downloads (legal ones like ISOs for Linux distributions, etc.) much easier to get.Just because some use that technology for bad things doesn't make P2P or Bittorent a bad thing.The sue happy nature of this country will be its undoing.

Like Bittorent, P2P has a great reputation for making downloading of large software downloads (legal ones like ISOs for Linux distributions, etc.) much easier to get.
Well, BitTorrent is a form of P2P.

Guest LilBambi

Very true epp_b ... but Bittorrent does things a little differently as compared to your run of the mill P2P:

BitTorrent is the name of a peer-to-peer (P2P) file distribution client application, its related file sharing protocol, and a company that maintains these, BitTorrent Inc., all of which were created by programmer Bram Cohen. BitTorrent is designed to distribute large amounts of data widely without incurring the corresponding consumption in costly server and bandwidth resources. CacheLogic suggests that BitTorrent traffic accounts for ~35% of all traffic on the Internet,[1] while other sources are skeptical.[2]The original BitTorrent application was written in Python. Its source code, as of version 4.0, has been released under the BitTorrent Open Source License, which is a modified version of the Jabber Open Source License. There are numerous compatible clients, written in a variety of programming languages, and running on a variety of computing platforms.BitTorrent clients are programs which implement the BitTorrent protocol. Each BitTorrent client is capable of preparing, requesting, and transmitting any type of computer file over a network using the BitTorrent protocol. This includes text, audio, video, encrypted content, and other types of digital information.

How is asking a valid question attacking FF? It seems too many people on this board have hair trigger reactions to the slightest bit of negativity. If you can't tell the difference between a valid question and negativity like (FF is total junk) then perhaps you are spending too much time on your computer. Head outside and chill.As far as bit-torrent or whatever you want to call is concerned, it was a direct result from server file sharing schemes like Napster being taken down and re-architected to hide the source of the "seeds" from the man... spin it any way you like but the bulk of bit-torrent traffic is sucking pirated (shared) music, movies, cracked software programs.I'm not saying that ALL bit-torrent traffic consists of pirated items but you can't hide behind the good use of a technology that was purposely created to fool the man... and deprive him of his income...As always, you are more than welcome to hide behind whatever Reality Distortion Field that floats your boat.

Edited by Marsden11

I currently use QNext { Thanx Gary for turning me on to it ! } because me and 3 other people collaborate on musical compositions...we use it to send our work to each other and re-mix etc etc.Because we live in different parts of the city this makes it extremely convienient and fast instead of meeting up somewhere as we used to have to do.So i agree with lil bambi that it's what you choose to do with a tool and not the tool itself.patio . :pirate: