User Experience

Jeber

I've recently become a local "ambassador" for a group concerned with user experience. We aren't focused on one area. We want to represent users in dealings with software and hardware manufacturers, retailers, business, etc. In other words, we aim to champion the user when it comes to everyday items, a user-centric view.So I'm seeking input from anyone regarding those things they use or encounter daily that fail to be user-friendly.What are your gripes about your own experience? Have you encountered things that aren't designed to be used with ease? Do you have any ideas for improving the user interface or experience with something? If you have a specific item in mind, please mention it. Then groups like ours can approach the makers of it with suggestions to improve their product and increase the user-friendliness of it.

I think the one message that needs to be spread is the fact that those co's that decide customer service will outsell their competitors 4 to 1...Maybe if this concept was taught to those that choose not to we would have better choices as consumers...patioi, B)

Childproof lids on any type of container are not user friendly to anyone who suffers from arthritis or even old people whose hands are not as strong as they used to be.

Newer VCRs (of course they may be obsolete soon). I do know how to set the clock so I never had 12:00 flashing for years. Over the years, I must have owned 5 or 6 VCRs and set up 1 or 2 for my parents. I have a Sharp brand that I can't get to record; though not for lack of trying! (I have a master's degree and can read at college level yet I can't figure out what I miss when I try to record any program). Believe it or not, I finally resorted to buying something called a VCR-Co-Pilot just to be sure that I will get the program I want to record. Picture of one here http://wonderfulbuys.com/vcr.asp?source=googleI&prod=vcr

Just about any small programmable device such as a stereo with a clock, most things with a tiny little LCD panel and one or two buttons, monitor OSD controls (see exception note below)...you know what I'm talking about. The kinds of things that control minor functions, but are so obscure, you just want to give up and live without those little adjustments.Exception: my AOC CRT monitor has the best OSD controls I've ever used. It's simply a dial and one button. That's it.Hit the dial or the button and the OSD goes on.Scroll through the circular OSD menu with the dial (selected icon is highlighted in red, item details and setting is displayed in the center), hit the dial to select your option, and adjust with the dial. Hit the dial again to go back the menu. Rinse, wash, repeat.Hit the button at any time the OSD is on, and the OSD goes off. It's the best OSD I've ever used.Most other monitors I've used have terribly arcane menus and about ten different buttons that do ten different things in 30 different modes...ugh. Don't Make Me Think!

So I'm seeking input from anyone regarding those things they use or encounter daily that fail to be user-friendly
"user experience"? ... I want to know why bras are so tricky to unhook when you're in a hurry. :devil: Edited by Tushman

Childproof lids on any type of container are not user friendly to anyone who suffers from arthritis or even old people whose hands are not as strong as they used to be.
I'll drink to that greengeek... <_<

Hey now...this is a family-friendly forum <_<
Who made you a moderator here? I would say if you really have an issue with it - then ask one of the MODs to remove it. It was all meant in good fun so there's no need to get uppity about it.

• 1 month later...
Use a hammer.... It opens them real quick! B) Edited by Ohmygosh

All you gotta do is sign a waiver at the pharmacy....just ask. Childproof lids are there because of the litigious society we live in.

All you gotta do is sign a waiver at the pharmacy....just ask. Childproof lids are there because of the litigious society we live in.
I think things are done a little differently in Australia. We also have childproof lids on some house cleaning stuff sold in the supermarkets, things like toilet cleaners, floor cleaning liquids, some polishes and even on one brand of dishwashing liquid. There's usually a workaround by just getting a different brand but it's still most annoying! :thumbsup: