CD player

hodgy

I am using Mandrake 9.1 with the Gnome Gui and my cd-player does notfeel in the mood to work. I have a print of the terminal screen with a fault, but i don;t know how to rectify :o ken@localhost ken]$ su Password: [root@localhost ken]# /usr/bin/gnome-cd (gnome-cd:2394): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed. ** (gnome-cd:2394): WARNING **: Error reading CD header ** (gnome-cd:2394): WARNING **: Error reading CD headerAny ideas?Thanks hodgy

/usr/bin/gnome-cd
???? Your CD is in /mnt/cdrom . . . . . $ < cd /mnt/cdrom > is a command I do know . . :o Bruno

linuxdude32

Are you trying to play a music CD or access a data CD? What happens if you try to play it with a different program?

Hi linuxdude32I was trying to play a music cd with CD player. No joy!Am i correct in thinking i have to download a plugin for Xine so i can play Dvd's?Thanks hodgy

Hodgy,To play music from your CD:Menu --> Multimedia --> Sound --> KsCD and youre set !Xine should have the plugin to play DVD´s already in it, or install the ones on your CD, be carefull downloading because they have to fit the version xine you have.Just insert a DVD, go in the menu to XINE and push the dvd button for the DVD to load, then push the Play button.:P Bruno

Hi BrunoI am using the Gnome Gui and when i launch cd player and insert a music cd it just ignore's it. The only button that does anything is he prefs. one. and the info.screen of cd player shows "drive open" Double clicking the CD-rom icon on the desktop brings up an error message"sorry couldn't display all contents of cdrom" :P Hodgy

when i launch cd player and insert a music cd
Normaly I first insert the CD and then start the player . . but I think you have an other problem. Did you try the other media players too ?Hodgy if you browse your directories and click on the /mnt dierctory ( CD in the player ) what does it show ?Also if you login in KDE do you have the same problems ?:P Bruno

BrunoWhen i put a music cd in the drive and double click the CDrom iconi just get the error message "sorry couldn't show all contents of cdrom"Will log out and try KdeHodgy

Well Kde was a complete washout. Same problem with the cd player (sorry can't remember it's correct title) Then the sound module crashed!One consolation is XMMS is working in gnome, I can listen to Internet radio :P Hodgy

Witn a music CD you should not doubleclick the CD icon, only with data CDs. Music CDs play with the multimedia stuff.I´ll wait for the KDE expirience . . :P Bruno

Bruno How do i check that my cdroms- I have two- CD/RW as master. DVD as slave.are mounted correctly?The master drive recognizes the mandrake install disk. It didn't auto load though.I had to d-click the desktop icon.Hodgy

How do i check that my cdroms- I have two- CD/RW as master. DVD as slave.are mounted correctly?
They are auto-mounted, should be OK . . . master is: /mnt/cdrom slave: /mnt/vdrom2
The master drive recognizes the mandrake install disk. It didn't auto load though.I had to d-click the desktop icon.
There is no autorun in Linux . . . . . but you have to boot from the installdisks to make them run . . . you can however check their contents by clicking on them.:P Bruno

BrunoOn the cdrom properties/permissions it says i am not the owner, I reminded it whose credit card was used to purchase it, but i think it just ignored me!! :P How do i enable these permissions? If i need too.Thanks hodgy

HodgyNever mind who´s the owner . . . .if there is a cd in the drive and you click on the icon you can see the contents of that CD can´t you, you can click on a textfile and read whats in it ? You can copy and paste a file from it in your /home dir. What more would you want ?:P Bruno

Guest LilBambi

You have some great ideas there Bruno!And as you say, data cds (including music files such as .mp3) can be mounted and viewed in a normal file manager.But music CDs (.cda) that also play in plain old CD players in your car and entertainment CD players, are not viewable outside of multimedia players and rippers. We do not mount them nor are they mountable or viewable outside these multimedia programs.To test that ... you can do a cold boot and get into the GUI. Then put in the CDA music CD and wait -- it can take about 15-30 seconds depending on your system. It may just open the player (it does in RedHat 7.3), but I can't remember if the version of Mandrake I was using did or not. (Bruno would know)If the player doesn't come up on its own, wait till the light goes off on the CD drive after loading the CD, which means the computer should know by then what's in the drive, and then open the CD Player in Gnome and see what you get.Another test, would be to go to a terminal window and type cdp (commandline CD Player) after you have the CD loaded. It should open the pseudo graphics player and automatically start playing (as long as you have cdp installed).Sometimes with what appears to be a conflict like this, it is sometimes best to start with a fresh boot to try these types of things out.

BrunoThat is true. Is there any way i can check the path from my cdrom to the cdplayer?It looks like something has put a gate up.In the thread from johnnywylde you mentioned about doing a checksumon the iso's, which i did not do :P Is this a possible problem? I believe its too late to check when the disks havebeen burnt?So perhaps a new iso download?Hodgy

Thank you Fran, you can phrase is so clear . . . . I just hope we do understand what his actual problem is . . . . not 100% sure.If it is no sound you are getting it might also be the mixers that are set to MUTE as default after a new install: Aumix and Kmix.:P Bruno

Hodgy:Page 8 of the tips: Md5sum of already burned CD´s :P !Haven´t I thought about you ?? :DB) Bruno

Bruno/LilBambiSound is not the problem.It's just Cdplayer, If i insert a music cd -commercial. not home made.without first opening cdplayer. the cdrom light stats on for about 4 secondsdisk does not rotate.The same if i open cd player first . just no activity. the eject button on cd playerdoesn't work. The only button i get a reponse from is the prefs. one.As i said earlier it's as if the link between the cd rom and the cd player is brokenThanks for all your assistanceWill check page 8Hodgy