Slackware Live Sonic

SonicDragon

SonicDragon

oooOOOOOoooo. I'm in Slackware Live CD!Not as pretty as knoppix, but cool! Absolutely no problems getting it working :)It doesn't look that much harder/different than the other things that i have tried. Is it really that much harder?

YO Sonic !! Great, Another Slacker And a happy Slacker I hope . . . . Have fun my friend !!!:D Bruno

SonicDragon
YO Sonic !! Great, Another SlackerAnd a happy Slacker I hope . . . . Have fun my friend !!!
Well, i don't know if i'm a slacker yet. I'm only in the live version :D

Yes but your doing the Slack-dance !!( you can ask Quint how to install the 9.0 version he just did it last week ):D Bruno

YO Sonic !! Great, Another SlackerAnd a happy Slacker I hope . . . . Have fun my friend !!!
Well, i don't know if i'm a slacker yet. I'm only in the live version :(
You can do it, Sonic - I did. :D The d/l get here:Slackware 9.0Get 9.0. :( You'll love it.

Sonic, Here's an interesting Slack install page (thanks to Bruno for the link to CDCopy - this was there, also). It is short and sweet, and NOT intimidating, like the Slackware website. :D Slackware 9.0 InstallYou will enjoy. :(

Hey Quint, great link, really easy setup howto . . . . . unbelievable, have to bookmark that !:D Bruno

SonicDragon

Thanks. I can't install under after the 20th though. I need my computer for school. I can't afford for anything to go wrong untill after i'm out of school.Mandrake, Slack, maybe a BSD?!?!? SO MANY CHOISES! *starts to twich*

Thanks. I can't install under after the 20th though. I need my computer for school. I can't afford for anything to go wrong untill after i'm out of school.Mandrake, Slack, maybe a BSD?!?!? SO MANY CHOISES! *starts to twich*
Understood; but you've got more self-control than I do...I'd probably go out and buy a new HDD, disconnect the present one, hook up the new, "...and aw-a-a-a-y we go"! :D

My condolences. The 20th will be here before you know it. DO NOT mess up anything until school is out. You can't afford to lose hard work!Can you tell I am a teacher?

My condolences.  The 20th will be here before you know it.  DO NOT mess up anything until school is out.  You can't afford to lose hard work!Can you tell I am a teacher?
"The Always Sensible Julia". Ignore my post, Sonic. :D

My condolences.  The 20th will be here before you know it.  DO NOT mess up anything until school is out.  You can't afford to lose hard work!Can you tell I am a teacher?
"The Always Sensible Julia". Ignore my post, Sonic. :D
Well, technically, if there was no due assignments on the computer, why not? I would! However, school grades can mean jobs, scholarships, money to buy new hard drives, etc. I am just thankful my daughter has figured all that out. Her lowest grade this year was an A. Of course, that could be because she loves art and is at an art college. If you wonder why I am also a proud mother, see my link below. I am playing with it right now and Bruno says it is slow.

SonicDragon
I'd probably go out and buy a new HDD
I was thinking about that....... but i'm a little scared of installing a new hd too. But i have plenty of space here so i don't really need a new one.
DO NOT mess up anything until school is out.
Good advice. I'm trying. For now, it's Knoppix and Slack Live :D

I'd probably go out and buy a new HDD
I was thinking about that....... but i'm a little scared of installing a new hd too. But i have plenty of space here so i don't really need a new one.
DO NOT mess up anything until school is out.
Good advice. I'm trying. For now, it's Knoppix and Slack Live :)
Listen to Julia. ;) School work comes first; two weeks is a very short time to wait. :) Then the whole summer for enjoying the rewards of your hard work. ;) Julia, "The Always Sensible Julia" was said with the utmost respect and admiration, and a smile.

Guest LilBambi

Yea! Way to go Sonic!No worries .. You can still enjoy the live Slackware and Knoppix till the 20th ... it's amazing how fast time can go! Like teacher said, the 20th will be here before you know it. ;)

Guest ThunderRiver

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I have never been able to make Slackware CD boot.. (I am talking about the original Slackware, not live cd). On my laptop where cd boot is enabled, it still doesn't boot Slackware. ..doesn't work on my desktop either..I did BIOS upgrade too.. and even with Smart Boot Manager, Slackware CD still isn't bootable ..hehe. I don't know why they can't get it work properly.. the only solution..well, create 5 bootable floppies.. what a pain

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I have never been able to make Slackware CD boot.. (I am talking about the original Slackware, not live cd). On my laptop where cd boot is enabled, it still doesn't boot Slackware. ..doesn't work on my desktop either..I did BIOS upgrade too.. and even with Smart Boot Manager, Slackware CD still isn't bootable ..hehe. I don't know why they can't get it work properly.. the only solution..well, create 5 bootable floppies.. what a pain
ThunderRiver,Try Bruno's "magic bullet": at the initial boot prompt type: < bare.i root=/dev/sda1 noapic > (without the "< >")Best of good fortune to you...that's the only thing that worked for me. ;)

Guest ThunderRiver

Eh no .. basically the entire CD is not bootable. it is not soo much about loading kernel. I can't boot the CD at all. That's the only CD that I can't boot at all.. other Cds work fine.. such as Windows cd, SuSE, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and etc.

Eh no .. basically the entire CD is not bootable. it is not soo much about loading kernel. I can't boot the CD at all. That's the only CD that I can't boot at all.. other Cds work fine.. such as Windows cd, SuSE, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and etc.
Sorry to here that; perhaps it's a faulty CD or d/l? :lol: Maybe downloading from a different mirror would be successful - good luck to you.

Julia, "The Always Sensible Julia" was said with the utmost respect and admiration, and a smile.
Why thank you. :lol:

You see, Julia. All of us penguins are well educated, full of charm and good manners. :DB) Bruno

SonicDragon

Its strange how some cd's only boot on some computers. I have a computer that "can" boot from cds, but i'm lucky if i can get anything to start. Mandrake doesn't work with out a floppy. But then when it installs the screen is all funny.FreeBSD 5.0 doesn't work even with 2 floppies.FreeBSD 4.8 will boot, but freezes at hardware probing.Slackware wont boot either. I can't make the boot disks either... strange.I have a stack of cd's 5 inches high that are useless now :(Well, i'll keep trying with those slack boot disks.Later!

Sonic I have those problems too on an older computer. But for a few of your listed distro´s there is a cure:

Mandrake doesn't work with out a floppy. But then when it installs the screen is all funny.
Hit F1 at the very first screen and try some of these codes:linux vga=0linux noapiclinux noagplinux nodmalinux noscsilinux vga=normalThere are many more other codes, you will find them listed as you hit F1
FreeBSD 4.8 will boot, but freezes at hardware probing.
Here the noapic, noscsi, noagp might work aswell.
Slackware wont boot either. I can't make the boot disks either... strange.
I know you had problems with the rawwrite in windows, can´t help you there, but a bootfloppy is easy to make once you have a Linux system running.I will look for more ¨cheat-codes¨ for you and edit them in this post as I find them.Edit: This was the Slack Silver Bullit: ¨bare.i root=/dev/sda1 noapic¨ the last part ¨root=/dev/sda1 noapic¨ might help in some cases too.Hope this helped you in any way . . . . :o:lol: Bruno

SonicDragon

Thanks. Next time i install mandrake i will keep those in mind.As for FreeBSD... i don't remember a time where i could type things in....i will try again though.As for slack, i've been trying to create a boot disk from knoppix, but it doesn't seem to be working. When i open up 'home' i can see the file, but when i go to the konsole and type dd if=bare.i of=/dev/fd0. The last character is a zero in that. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I get the message: dd: opening `bare.i': No such file or directory :lol: I'm assuming you just can't drag and drop the file onto the disk right?

Sonic,No dragging is out of the question with this operation, however you might try:dd if=/home/sonic/bare.i of=/dev/fd0 ( where of course you replace the ¨/home/sonic¨ with whatever the directory is called the bare.i is in.Knoppix has his limitations though.:lol: Bruno

SonicDragon

Thanks, but i get the same error message.I looked in freeBSD... i couldn't find anywhere where i could type those commands in, or hit F1. Thanks anyway :o

Guest ThunderRiver
Its strange how some cd's only boot on some computers. I have a computer that "can" boot from cds, but i'm lucky if i can get anything to start. Mandrake doesn't work with out a floppy. But then when it installs the screen is all funny.FreeBSD 5.0 doesn't work even with 2 floppies.FreeBSD 4.8 will boot, but freezes at hardware probing.Slackware wont boot either. I can't make the boot disks either... strange.I have a stack of cd's 5 inches high that are useless now :(Well, i'll keep trying with those slack boot disks.Later!
Mm..darn.. I have 3 ft tall of CD stack.. it is always a pain to find what I need heh