xmms - suse10

gauchoperezoso

gauchoperezoso

it was 2 days ago i guess that i said that my suse was all perfect and i had absolutely no more problems.altough the statement was close to being true there still is one thing that i cant get to work no matter what i try and this thing is xmms player.for some reason it wont play anything , nor can i add some files to the play list, it always stays empty.i already tried installing xmms from packmans sources but no result.i believe i have all necessary packages installed like xmmslib, xmms plugins ,etc. how can i get it to work??i really like this player and i dont want to use amarok all the time - amarok isnt bad,mind you..i'd appreciate any help

Hi GauchoIf you start XMMS and press Ctrl+P . . . what is listed as the output plugin ?? And if it is the oss plugin, can you change that to alsa ?B) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

hi Bruno,i dont have arts, although it is installed.now this is what is present:auto,oss,jack,oggre,alsa,esound,diskwriter,sound stretchernone of those plugins worksboth arts and arts devel are installed - version 1.4.2-5-i586i am not sure if it is a matter of a plugin...if this was the only problem i still would be able to add some files to the playlist,right?

You don't need arts to play xmms . . . . . libALSA.so should do the trick . .

auto,oss,jack,oggre,alsa,esound,diskwriter,sound stretcher
you mean you have ALL those listed as possible output-plugin in xmms ???? ( Ctrl+P the lower part of that window )B) Bruno
i am not sure if it is a matter of a plugin...if this was the only problem i still would be able to add some files to the playlist,right?
Nope . . if you have the wrong plugin it can block other operations and even freeze xmms completely.Please set it to alsa and press "configure" and tell me what you see . .

gauchoperezoso

audio device - default - i can also choose two intel options but no changemixer cevice is set to PCMall input plugins are enabled and theres a lot of them but that shouldnt matter...

gauchoperezoso

oh boy what did i just do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i wanted to delete /opt/kde3/share/macosounds and so i did but then wanted to see what is left out there in ..share folder and instead of changing a command from rm -r i just left it like that out of distraction and pressed enter.i was surprised that it was taking so long.only after it was all completed did i notice that i removed the entire folder!!!!!is there a way to recover all the files????pls help me :thumbsup:

Hey GauchoIf you have disk , boot from disk 1, select install...it Should give you repair as an option and see if you can repair it. ( it will sfcan for missing files, and hopefully replace the missing ones..I think , if it bootd you could also go into yast and reinstall kde.

gauchoperezoso

that is what i did Barry, i.e. went to yast and installed kde but then it told me to reboot and it didnt work so i had to do reinstall. oh well,took about one hour but its ok now:)thanks for your help anyway.

oh boy what did i just do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i wanted to delete /opt/kde3/share/macosounds and so i did but then wanted to see what is left out there in ..share folder and instead of changing a command from rm -r i just left it like that out of distraction and pressed enter.i was surprised that it was taking so long.only after it was all completed did i notice that i removed the entire folder!!!!!is there a way to recover all the files????pls help me :)
Ouch !! . . . . I remember this happened to me once with the /boot directory, I completely wiped it by accident :thumbsup: . . . and it did hold all the kernel + initrd.img files for the other distros I multibooted . . . . a "repair" action did not help so a re-install was needed . . . . what a pain !;) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

in my case it wasnt so painful Bruno:) i just had to reinstall suse which took about an hour or so, but everything in my /home dir stayed intact and also all the apps i installed in / were ok too as it was just actualization. but i hope it wont happen to me anymore :)now for xmms, it works, i had to turn of the cd source and actualize it from packman's so pretty much the same as with kaffeine and xine. funny cuz i thought i had already done it but it didnt work, i guess i was wrong...so to sum it all up. my suse is now fully functional and even if i wanted it would be hard to pick holes in it :thumbsup: that is what i feel about it today at least.

GauchoSorry you had to do the reload...but glad it wasn't too painful ;) I think all of us do that that(ok..speaking for myself..some of us do it alot..I'm always trying something just to see what it does..(ummm which usually means a re-install when I goof it up :thumbsup: