Associate an application with a file type

zillah

I have got problem with Real Player Files (example: rm, ram,rmvb,---etc) first they were opend by real player program , when I installed Nero, the files has been changed to nero's skin (associated with nero).Then I tried to default them by doing the following steps in this link:http://kb.iu.edu/data/adhc.htmlIt did not work.My OS now is Windows2000 Advanced Server

James M. Fisher

I would assume that there should be some options within RealPlayer to set file associations. Have a look through all the option settings.

...if not, you can change/set assocations via the Folder Options > File Types applet in the control panel; or by choosing the Open With... option in any of these files, selecting or browsing for RealPlayer, then choosing Always open....

Still I have got problem.I uninstalled and reinstall Real Player again
When I understand you correctly, you first installed Real Player and then Nero.After Nero got installed the file associations were changed.Is this correct?What happens if you uninstall both of them, and then first install Nero and after that Real Player again?

When I understand you correctly, you first installed Real Player and then Nero.After Nero got installed the file associations were changed.Is this correct?
Yes that is correct.
What happens if you uninstall both of them, and then first install Nero and after that Real Player again?
1- I uninstalled Nero, then I uninstalled Real second. I rebooted PC2- Then I reinstalled Real Player only (not Nero).3- Still the file association is not Real player , it is unknown

OK: go to the Control Panel, open the Folder Options applet, then click the File Types tab.Find all of the files you want to associate in that list, and one-by-one select them and click the Edit button, click the default action (usually "Open" or "Open with <program name>"), click the Edit... button.Click Browse... to locate the Real Player program file (should be something like C:\Program Files\Real\<program>.exe). Click OK, click Close.Rinse, wash, and repeat for all of the files you want to change the association for, and then click Close on the main Folder Options dialogue.

Thanks epp_b

OK: go to the Control Panel, open the Folder Options applet, then click the File Types tab.Find all of the files you want to associate in that list, and one-by-one select them and click the Edit button, click the default action (usually "Open" or "Open with <program name>"), click the Edit... button.Click Browse... to locate the Real Player program file (should be something like C:\Program Files\Real\<program>.exe). Click OK, click Close.
This is what I did before I posted my thread here, and I pointed to this link:
Then I tried to default them by doing the following steps in this link:http://kb.iu.edu/data/adhc.htmlIt did not work.
BTW, Can I upload an attachment to the forum ? Edited by zillah

Find a "real file" on your computer and shift+right click it. In the menu that opens, select "open With" choose Real Player. Also be sure to check the box that says change for ALL files of this type.

select "open With" choose Real Player. Also be sure to check the box that says change for ALL files of this type.
When I tried to do this I am receiving this erro message:" This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder options control panel."The association is there (Explorer->Tools->Folder optios----etc).If I click any file of one of these extensions (mp3, wmv, rmvb,----etc), real player program opens them, but the skin (appreance) of a file itself is not a real player skin. Edited by zillah

When I tried to do this I am receiving this erro message:" This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder options control panel."The association is there (Explorer->Tools->Folder optios----etc).If I click any file of one of these extensions (mp3, wmv, rmvb,----etc), real player program opens them, but the skin (appreance) of a file itself is not a real player skin.
Eh...do you mean the icon associated with it?

If I click any file of one of these extensions (mp3, wmv, rmvb,----etc), real player program opens them, but the skin (appreance) of a file itself is not a real player skin.
The skin appearance of those files : say an MP3 on your desktop, what icon does it have ? The one associated with Windows Media Player for example ? (this one :http://tinypic.com/f0sxg5.jpg )

Reading just now and checking my own system...The contents of that regfix are the same as on my machine, I downloaded it by rightclicking it and choosing "save as" and saved it on the desktop; I then opened it up with Notepad and compared it with my own registry,there's no difference.But I don't know if that will bring you the solution. I need a few moments to try out a trick here, I'll be back in a few minutes.

Reading just now and checking my own system...The contents of that regfix are the same as on my machine, I downloaded it by rightclicking it and choosing "save as" and saved it on the desktop; I then opened it up with Notepad and compared it with my own registry,there's no difference.But I don't know if that will bring you the solution. I need a few moments to try out a trick here, I'll be back in a few minutes.
I'm hesitating which way to go from here, but rereading this thread I would second James' suggestion to set file associations from within RealPlayer for those RealPlayer files, if that's possible. Look for Options or Preferences. Then restart the computer and post back with results.

but rereading this thread I would second James' suggestion to set file associations from within RealPlayer for those RealPlayer files, if that's possible. Look for Options or Preferences. Then restart the computer and post back with results.
I had done this earlier, and I have just repeated again without any success.

I had done this earlier, and I have just repeated again without any success.
Thanks for posting back.I'll have to pass on this one.Maybe someone else kicks in.Good luck ! Edited by striker

Given RealPlayer's long history of obnoxiousness, it would be reasonable to switch to RealAlternative anyway. That is, if you didn't need the one or two things which RP does that RA doesn't. There's no reason to think this would help, but maybe....

I tried to install Winamp and associate all audio files (mp3, rm, ram, ---etc) with Winamp.And I could not change the skin for those files (audio files) to Winamp (remain with unknow skin, I do not what the proper name for them).

I tried to install Winamp and associate all audio files (mp3, rm, ram, ---etc) with Winamp.And I could not change the skin for those files (audio files) to Winamp (remain with unknow skin, I do not what the proper name for them).
Zillah, you're talking about skin this and skin that, this might lead to confusion.What about a screenshot? You could make a screenshot and post it at www.tinypic.com and post the link to it here.Maybe that way we all know what you mean exactly.What do you think of it?

Given RealPlayer's long history of obnoxiousness, it would be reasonable to switch to RealAlternative anyway. That is, if you didn't need the one or two things which RP does that RA doesn't. There's no reason to think this would help, but maybe....
I totally agree :thumbsup:

Zillah, you're talking about skin this and skin that, this might lead to confusion.What about a screenshot? You could make a screenshot and post it at www.tinypic.com and post the link to it here.Maybe that way we all know what you mean exactly.What do you think of it?
See this pleasehttp://tinypic.com/f1xxtk.jpghttp://tinypic.com/f1y2xi.jpg Edited by zillah

Zillah,I'm guessing that what you are talking about is the icon associated with the file type.To change that icon, you need to go toMy Computer>Tools>Folder Options...>File TypesScroll down to RAMClick on Advanced and then click on Change Icon...The box that will then open will show you the path to where the file is currently finding the icon that it is using.If you wish to use a RealPlayer icon, for instance, you should change the path to that of RealPlay.exe, which should be something like the following; C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\RealPlay.exe

Thanks Merrick3Have you checked this :http://tinypic.com/f1y2xi.jpg
There's no icon associated with it according to your screenshots.The icon which is showing in those screenshots are the icons where windows defaults to if no icon is associated with the application AFAIK.So IMO all you have to do is change the icon to be the right one and you should be going. Just take one at a time and see what happens. Edited by striker