2200BG Install on Mandriva 2006

Ya`qub

First off thanks Bruno for helping with last week's install problem (don't I feel dumb!)Now that my Linux is running, I am slowly assembling the things I need--my nemesis continues to be installing the driver for my Intel 2200BG WiFi Card. I downloaded the FW (ipw2200-fw-2.4), driver (2200-1.0.8), and Wireless tools.27 tgz files, and uncompressed them using File Roller, and now there are folders on my desktop. I can't configure the WiFi connection directly b/c it says I am missing the FW. I read that this can be caused by the wrong location of the FW. So I tried to move the files to /usr/lib/hotplugs/firmware, but I can't because it says I don't have permission to move the files there! I entered root (the only accounts are mine and root), but don't know how to add permission or my account to the root group.I also tried an RPM file ipw-firmware-3-3.noarch to circumvent all of the other crap but upon attempts at configuration it says there is an "unsatisfied hotplug".Isn't there any simple solution to getting a Intel2200 BG WiFi card to work with Mandriva 2006?Sorry for the lengthy message,Ya'qub

Hi Ya'Qub So you are ready for the wifi adventure. Best of luck. I did a little google and found that most folks don't get that one working. Those that have had followed the basic ndiswrapper instructions. I would first start here and try to run it through the control center. See if that works for you. If that does not then I would go to the ndiswrapper tip. I can't quite follow what you are saying about root permission. Once you su to root you should be able to go anywhere and access anything. I am wondering if you did not go to root and do all this in the command line or if you did it in the command line and then went to other programs separate from teh command line? As far as hotplug, go to the Mandrake Control Center and look at services. Make sure that you have hotplug turned on and active.

merci beaucoup.ya'qub

Hi Ya'Qub So you are ready for the wifi adventure. Best of luck. I did a little google and found that most folks don't get that one working. Those that have had followed the basic ndiswrapper instructions. I would first start here and try to run it through the control center. See if that works for you. If that does not then I would go to the ndiswrapper tip. I can't quite follow what you are saying about root permission. Once you su to root you should be able to go anywhere and access anything. I am wondering if you did not go to root and do all this in the command line or if you did it in the command line and then went to other programs separate from teh command line? As far as hotplug, go to the Mandrake Control Center and look at services. Make sure that you have hotplug turned on and active.