memory problems

thesarge

Yes, you can dump freeRamPro XP. I keep Fast Defrag on my desktop (it doesn't install, it is just an exe file). When I feel the computer is getting sluggish, I click on it then click on the Clean button. When it's done, I click the close button - that's it.To locate your Swap file/Virtual memory, right click on My Computer, select Properties, then the Performance tab and finally the Virtual Memory button. Let us know what the minimum and maximum values are.I have my max and min both set to 384megs because I read it is good to set it to 1.5 times the amount of RAM in the computer. Since I have 256 megs of RAM, I got 384 for swap file.After you do this...please let us know if things seem better, worse or the same with your computer.
Thanks Liz, I found the swap file it was set at 0 min 11771 max. Now it is set at 384 and 384 as you have suggested. I also deleted the free ram, but I had already installed the defrag program and it is in the task bar, should I deleted it and re install?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thesarge

• zlim

• b2cm

• Peachy

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you can let it where it is.Work a few days on your computer then tell us what it's doing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the page file was a contributing factor to your icon problem and that it will now behave!

No, you can let it where it is.Work a few days on your computer then tell us what it's doing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the page file was a contributing factor to your icon problem and that it will now behave!
I'm getting a couple error msg 1. pk archive "cant find" and 2. WUVBOOT also "cant find" These msg have appeared after the computer has open to the desktop and was idle for a couple of minutes.

Be specific with errors. I don't know what pk archive is and there is no mention on google of "WUVBOOT". If there are numbers are words such as general protection faults - please copy them down and post exactly what errors you get so I can do some searching.

Be specific with errors. I don't know what pk archive is and there is no mention on google of "WUVBOOT". If there are numbers are words such as general protection faults - please copy them down and post exactly what errors you get so I can do some searching.
pk archive is a dll file I did not write down the ext of the wuvboot, but there was no number associated with the two error msg. Also it just said it caused an error, there were not general protection faults error msg.

There is no pk archive nor pkarchive.dll. The only listings for pkarchive have to do with websites pkarchive.org and pkarchive.comDo you visit either of those?Do a search and see if you have a pkarchive.dll anywhere in your computer.

Edited by zlim

There is no pk archive nor pkarchive.dll. The only listings for pkarchive have to do with websites pkarchive.org and pkarchive.comDo you visit either of those?Do a search and see if you have a pkarchive.dll anywhere in your computer.
The full line is pkarchive70b.dll, I found one line in the registry editor and I deleted that but this morningthe line appeared again as I clicked on the start menu. Also this morning I spent over an hour trying to start my computer correctly.When I was trying to correct the boot problem today, I started the computer in the saft mode. I clicked onthe restore and this is what I got:An error has occurred in the script on this page.Line: 43Char: 2Error: Automation server can't create objectCode: OURL: hcp: //help/tshootOO/wOsafemode.htmDo you want to continue running script on this page?Also when I restore in the help and support the first line said:app:%SYSTEM%Restire\rstrui.exe is online.When I tried to click on this link the computer freezes, I can getout by ctrl and alt and cancel the task. By the way I have cableso I'm hooked to the internet, but I did not have my connection openat the time.Well do you think now?

1. You don't have to have your connection open. If you are on cable, anytime the computer is on, you are attached to the internet.Do you run a router?2. IMO, that pkarchive70b.dll acts like a piece of malware.edit seems like someone else has it and it is malwarehttp://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:Z4oZdy...&client=firefox3. As far as the script error, they are common. I turn mine off because I don't understand them so there is no point in windows calling my attention to something I don't understand and I can't fix.4. explain this

when I restore in the help and support{/quote] in a bit more detail. Are you trying to restore to an earlier point in time using System Restore in the Accessories?5. Is this correct?
app:%SYSTEM%Restire\rstrui.exe is online
If so, I'll have to search for Restire.edit I found rstrui.exe errorhttp://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267511Please check that the year on your computer is correct.
Edited by zlim