Palm to buy Handspring!

GolfProRM

Palm to buy HandspringAlthough there's been talk of this "reunion" for awhile, it still seems like a last ditch effort from Palm to try to stay in the market... As much as I'd hate to see Palm go, it looks almost inevitable unless they can keep up with the technology of the PocketPC.

Oh no. That makes me want to go out and sell my Handspring Visor. Is there any independents left? What about blueberry? I find no need to be part of the masses. Seriously, I hope it allows both to survive as a new combined company. I fear their days are numbered as more and more people are going to PC based hand-helds. I think my Handspring has become a necessity of life. It makes me wonder how we got by without it. I know I have a lot less to carry around since I no longer need a planner or address book. Of course, life was simpler when I could get by with a little calendar to tell me one or two things a day! :D It will be interesting to watch this one as they do their spin-off and then merge in the fall.

nlinecomputers

*sigh*I have mixed feelings about this. I have a Handspring Visor Edge which has served me very well but it is behind on the current tech. I not sure that Palm can catch up anymore. It is a shame because I have tried Pocket PC and I find it difficult to use. I perfer PalmOS and I'd love to see a BeOS bassed PDA.

I think this move makes sense. The founders of Palm, who started their own company called Handspring, coming back home, so to speak, from whence they left. I think its a good move for both as now they can compete more effectively against Microsoft.Didn't Palm buy BeOS? I've seen rumours that Palm OS6 will be based on BeOS. :D

Guest genaldar

If I was buying another pda (I used to have a palm m105 years ago) I'd just get a cheap casiopia or something. Since I'd only use it for organizing the current low end palms don't have anything to draw me to them. Granted you can get a bunch of different software but none of it really compells me to buy one. I'm hoping they come out with a really low end palm ($50 or less) that does just organizing, notes, calendar and syncs with outlook.Of course I'll deny I ever said this is I get that new fossil palm watch from my brother.