Hurricaine

lewmur

I suspect, lewmur may have to relocate. From what I've been reading, today is worse than yesterday because levees broke and the water is rising.

I suspect, lewmur may have to relocate. From what I've been reading, today is worse than yesterday because levees broke and the water is rising.

Nah! The news of our demise is greatly exagerated. I'm in Jefferson Parish and our levees held and as of early this morning we are high and dry. But even in Orleans the lake has dropped to normal levals and the water has stopped rising. They claim it is going to take 30 days to pump out all of the water but my estimation is about a week. The pumps are capable of lowering the levals by 2' per day and the entire city is not under water. Our biggest problem is lack of running water. Within a couple of days we will be able to buy gas and portable generators. But the trees that were torn out by the roots broke so many water mains that there is no water pressure and no one has said how long it will take to get it back.

Nah!  The news of our demise is greatly exagerated.

Lewmur, I am glad you are OK. I'm surprised to hear of your comments -- either you've got a great attitude or you're in a very lucky area. B) From what I have been reading on the internet, the situation is as dire as the reports suggest. The Pentagon has initiated the largest search & rescue operation in the history of the USA and several ships and Navy SEAL teams have been dispatched to the stricken areas. The Superdome is no longer a viable option to house the refugees and the US Gov't is sending several hundred buses to transport the 23,000 some thousand homeless people to the Houston Astrodome.On the side, I have relatives that live in Biloxi, MS. If anyone on this board has some accurate knowledge of the situation in that city, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm very concerned about my aunt & uncle and can't get through on the phone. Considering the reports I've heard on TV, it seems Biloxi is one of hte worst hit areas. B) Edited by Tushman

Lewmur, I am glad you are OK.  I'm surprised to hear of your comments -- either you've got a great attitude or you're in a very lucky area.  B)  From what I have been reading on the internet, the situation is as dire as the reports suggest.  The Pentagon has initiated the largest search & rescue operation in the history of the USA and several ships and Navy SEAL teams have been dispatched to the stricken areas.  The Superdome is no longer a viable option to house the refugees and the US Gov't is sending several hundred buses to transport the 23,000 some thousand homeless people to the Houston Astrodome.On the side, I have relatives that live in Biloxi, MS.  If anyone on this board has some accurate knowledge of the situation in that city, I would greatly appreciate it.  I'm very concerned about my aunt & uncle and can't get through on the phone.  Considering the reports I've heard on TV, it seems Biloxi is one of hte worst hit areas. B)

Without a doubt this is the worst disaster to hit anywhere in the U.S. in its entire history. Probably by a factor of ten. But I get very distressed with the "doom and gloomers" that are ready to write this city off as a lost cause. And I know for a fact that the politicians are intentionally painting the picture in as dire a light as they can in order to get the "civilian" population to leave. They feel this will make their jobs a lot easier. But I resent this attitude. These are OUR homes and businesses. This is OUR city. And it is the PEOPLE of this city that make it what it is. It is the politicians that screw things up. The levee that broke was a POLITICAL fiasco. The lake should never have been allowed to double its depth in the days and hours before the winds hit. And the levee that broke is NEW. Built within last ten years.

Good to hear some positive news, lewmur. Glad you're OK, too. The only thing I know about Biloxi is the pictures I've seen on the news. It looks the streets are filled with debris though not with water as in areas of New Orleans.

Well, I'm still here in Metairie, just outside of New Orleans. We're still dry. Back in my own place. There is a swimming pool across the street that we're using for "flush" water, and a natural gas fired barbucue pit. Have plenty of bottled drinking water and enough food to last awhile.Getting madder and madder at the politicos. Drove for miles through Jeff Parish and there is NO reason not to let the people back in. They would need to bring supplies with them for a few days but that's all. By then we could clear the debris and get enough businesses open to sustain ourselves. But there is NOTHING being done. No crew repair power lines, no crew clearing fallen trees and no crew repairing broken water mains.I know the rescue work in Orleans Parish take precedence, but in the meantime there are thousands of Entergy (power co) workers waiting for the orders to start work. They are NOT assisting in the rescue effort. They are sitting around and waiting.This is the first dialup connection I've been able to get since my last post but hope it won't be as long next time.

Thanks for providing us w/ the update Lewmur. I know it's easier said than done, but hang in there - I'm glad you have atleast the basic essentials to sustain yourself.

Agreed, rescue work must take precedence, but at the same time repairing the infrastructure is also critical and as you pointed out, performed by different personnel. Are there many other people in your general area, Lewmur? Have you seen any relief agencies yet? Salvation Army has a breakdown on their website about a certain amount of money providing two days' worth of food, water and essential clean up supplies for a family, so I hope that means they are already distributing in some areas. Take care of yourself.

Edited by ebrke

Guest LilBambi

So sorry to hear about the losses in the Hurricane Katrina affected areas. It has certainly been a terrible thing. I have no idea why politics has to enter the picture at all. This should be search, rescue, humanitarian aid, and reconstruction. They should just do it and get it done. I get so sick of hearing each political side, and ethnic group trying to use this as a political platform. Why don't they get off their own butt and just get their hands dirty and help make this happen.These folks need help not political rhetoric.

So sorry to hear about the losses in the Hurricane Katrina affected areas. It has certainly been a terrible thing. I have no idea why politics has to enter the picture at all. This should be search, rescue, humanitarian aid, and reconstruction. They should just do it and get it done. I get so sick of hearing each political side, and ethnic group trying to use this as a political platform. Why don't they get off their own butt and just get their hands dirty and help make this happen.These folks need help not political rhetoric.

It's not really the politiics, as bad as that is, that is the worst part. It's the blinkity blanking beaurarcy that is getting truely maddenning. Mayor Nagin said it himself and I quote "There are just to ****** may cheifs." And they are all countermandding each other. They diverted the large helicopter that was needed to plug the levee and sent it to "rescue" a few people. Thereby drowning many others. And it was a day later before it occured to ANY of them that it would be MUCH easier the D*** the mouth of the canal, which was only 50' wide, rather than repair the breach, which was 300'.But, IMHO, the biggest fiasco is still the fact that the beaurocrats won't let the residents and business owners to come back and clean up the mess in Jeff Parish. Most people don't realize that Jeff Parish's population is larger than Orleans. Or that Orleans only represents about 25% of the metro area population. And that the criminal element is limited almost exclusively to Orleans.The Red Cross is refusing to send workers because "it is too dangerous." That is pure malarky. There are only three people on our block but we aren't in any danger at all. SO FAR! But how long it will take for the drug culture of Orleans to discover the "easy picking" here is the question. If the Parish Pres insist on keeping the resident from coming back, it is only a matter of time.

Will have some picture of the devistation in N.O.  when we get power back.  I'm operating on notebook batteries and can't waste them posting pics.

Well, each day things get a little bit better. Saw two place to buy gas open and my roomate was able to buy beer and cigs. The biggest thrill was to turn on the bathtub tap and actually have water emerge. Took ten minutes to get three inches of water but when you've had nothing but sponge baths for a week, it is marvelous!Actually saw some power co and trash cleanup crews today. Better late than never.They're letting Jeff Parish residents and business owners back into to the parish tomorrow. But just for a visit. They want them to take pictures of their damage and do what they can to prevent fuirther damage and then to "get out of Dodge." Don't know what they'll do when tens of thousands refuse to leave but that is what is going to happen.