Trusted Platform Module on x86 Macs

inform

This is an interesting article about wether or not Apple is going to use TPM to protect their hardware market: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050805-5174.htmlI for one would continue to buy Apple hardware if they used TPM or not, I love the engineering and the user centric design. How do you feel about the subject? Would you continue to buy Apple hardware? If Apple didn't use TPM and OS X ran on any x86 machine would you pay the premium for Apple Hardware?I think that this is one of the most interesting problems to come along for any technology company and Apple had to consider all of the consequences before announcing the Intel decision. I for one am waiting for the intel based powerbooks to come out before buying my next one and will remain a loyal Apple consumer. Is Apple banking on consumers like me to not abandon? Or is the end of the Apple PC approaching and the beginning of a new Apple business based on appliances, OS X, iPod, iTunes and anything else they can invent.What do you think?

Let's wait and see.It could be that they will use TPM only to lock OSX to their hardware, in order to prevent widespread pirating of it.In that case I would support them 100% as that is what Steve Jobs said, OSX will be locked into running only on Apple's Intel PCS's, while they will not prevent other systems such as Windows and Linux being installed.In other scenario, where they would use TPM to cut down on more than locking OSX to their hardware, I would be inclined to say, .. good buy Apple.

Since Apple is, I believe, primarily a hardware company, I can't blame them at all for wanting to restrict Intel users to running OS X on Apple approved hardware. Of course, shortly after the Apple / Intel (Aptel?) systems are released, the cracks to get OS X to run on any Intel systems will be out. Will I still shell out some extra money for the Apple hardware? Probably. They just look better.