98SE & XP units won't play nicely

ByllD

I've had a happy and healthy home wireless net working for some time, but my 98SE laptop died and I replaced it with XP, figuring I'd have to some day. (I am the little-known and less-loved "late adopter" who will change nothing until necessary.) The XP interface wss a pain to me (old man) but I'm mostly used to it. However....The 98SE desktop is cabled to a DSL box and to a router. The XP notebook sees the internet just fine. The desktop can access the notebook files but not vice-versa. The permissions are all set ("Sharing" settings) the same both ways. Can you fine folks direct me to a step-by-step for a mixed-marriage network so I can get this thing working properly?I did read through the posts before putting mine up; if I missed my answer somewhere already posted, my apologies. And thanks.Bill

Make sure your Win98 network name, pc name and shared folder names don't have a space at the end of them. Win98 systems ignore it but XP doesn't. It took me quite awhile to find that one years ago when one system was blind to the others.

Make sure your Win98 network name, pc name and shared folder names don't have a space at the end of them.  Win98 systems ignore it but XP doesn't.  It took me quite awhile to find that one years ago when one system was blind to the others.

Thanks for the idea, Ed, but no: there are no extraneous spaces after the network name, the pc name, or the folder names. Any other ideas?Bill

XP's interface does take getting use to when comingform Win98 but as you've found it doesn't take long once you're immersed in it.XP has a network wizard which creates a disk for configing other machines. When I had troubles with my son's Win 98 machine one time I ran the XP disk and it resolved the problem. I don't know what it did differently than what I had configured but it solved the problem.I'm not sure how to create that disk at this point. Try the XP Network Troubleshooter, there's probably a link to it in there.RIGHT click on Network Places>Properties. The Troubleshooter should be at the top of the left hand column.