OS X Unix Under the Hood; Use it.

inform

I am not a Unix geek but I like knowing whats going on under the hood. In OS X that means you have to discover the power of the terminal. There is nothing you can't do from the terminal, and whats more you can do more. If you have been using Linux you will be familiar with a terminal however, Darwin, the unix kernal that OS X uses, is a bit different than Linux. So when I started to learn Unix on OS X my first thought was get a book. But I soon learned of a resource that is invaluable to me and it's free. http://www.osxfaq.com/Tutorials/LearningCenter/It's a great place to learn a lot about OS X Unix.Take a look and start learning.Another great resource is http://www.macosxhints.com/A lot of hints and great little gems can be found here.I'm still learning myself but would love to get a group of people interested in learning and using OS X Unix. Maybe we can get a Tutorial running in this Forum like they have in the Linux Forum? The more I learn about this OS the more excited I get.Enjoy,Christopher

SonicDragon

Great links! I also love the command line :)Just a quick note for the first link - Much of it was written for OS 10.1 and 10.2. Nearly all the commands will work and be the same, but OS 10.3 and 10.4 use the bash shell instead of tcsh. :)Now i have lots of extra reading to do! There are soooo many hints at that second link hahah!Thanks again

Edited by SonicDragon

SonicDragon,Thank you for pointing that out. I was aware that it was written based on an older version of OS X but I wasn't aware of the tcsh. There are several books which I'm considering getting they are for for the most part brand new and based on Tiger.Learning Unix for Mac OS X Tiger, 4E Dave TaylorMac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood Kirk McElhearn

SonicDragon

Both look like great books B) I've never read either of them, so if you get them you'll have to let us know how they are :) I looked through that hints site the other day. The Safari Bookmark Exporter is really cool, and so are emas games! i didn't know emacs had games in it! ;) I also didn't know that TuxRacer had an OS X port :) or there was a version of X Emacs for OS X. TONS of cool stuff to discover from that site. Thanks for the link!