AMD Sues Intel

GolfProRM

Well I guess I am officially on the all Intel bandwagon now. "Things are not going well and the lawyers have a good idea so let's go with it and sue our top competition" is really a stupid idea.The consumers a want good product at the least cost. Drving it up with litigation is bad for everyone involved.In the end consumers are the ones who pay for this.

Do you think the following is fair or should be tolerated?Forcing major customers to accept exclusive deals.Withholding rebates and marketing subsidies as a means of punishing customers who buy more than prescribed quantities of processors from AMD.Threatening retaliation against customers doing business with AMD.Establishing quotas keeping retailers from selling the computers they want. Forcing PC makers to boycott AMD product launches.

Do you think the following is fair or should be tolerated?Forcing major customers to accept exclusive deals.Withholding rebates and marketing subsidies as a means of punishing customers who buy more than prescribed quantities of processors from AMD.Threatening retaliation against customers doing business with AMD.Establishing quotas keeping retailers from selling the computers they want. Forcing PC makers to boycott AMD product launches.

Sounds like Wal-Mart. ;)

When AMD first launched the Athlon back in 1999, none of the major Taiwanese motherboard makes would admit to making a Slot A motherboard, but there were rumours that they already had them built. No one wanted to annoy Intel. It became really silly at one point when Slot A motherboards started coming out in white boxes with no branding, markings, not even on the motherboard itself except the model number. ASUS was one of those companies. I remember finding product info on their web site for their first AMD motherboard but there was no official acknowledgement of said motherboard on the main product pages for at least 3 months, yet they were already providing covert support for it in terms of driver and BIOS updates.

I'd like to know where they have proof of these claims...
AMD will have to prove the allegations in court, which probably would not be hard to do.In Japan, the Japan Fair Trade Commission (JFTC) already directed Intel to stop its sales practices that shut out competitors from the Japanese microprocessor market. Intel has admitted to the allegations of unfair sales practices, and that will probably be used in the US case. (In Europe, the European Commission's Competition Directorate is also investigating Intel for its trade practices, most likely with similar conclusion as that of JFTC with whom it collaborated in the Japanese probe.)But Japan is Japan, Europe is Europe, and the US is US. The US court may have a different opinion on the Intel 'coercion', 'threats' and 'bribery' as alleged by AMD.

When AMD first launched the Athlon back in 1999, none of the major Taiwanese motherboard makes would admit to making a Slot A motherboard, but there were rumours that they already had them built. No one wanted to annoy Intel. It became really silly at one point when Slot A motherboards started coming out in white boxes with no branding, markings, not even on the motherboard itself except the model number. ASUS was one of those companies. I remember finding product info on their web site for their first AMD motherboard but there was no official acknowledgement of said motherboard on the main product pages for at least 3 months, yet they were already providing covert support for it in terms of driver and BIOS updates.

Yep, I am proud owner of such a motherboard.It is Asus K7M and came in white box with no markings whatsoever.(it works til todays date as my server, 24/7, the best Mobo I owned)I remember being pissed off at the time when I found out that they had to "hide" it, otherwis almighty Intel would snap their necks :icon8: :lol: It actually pushed me into other direction and since that day I bought only AMD and Asus (noone else except Asus at the time was brave enough) since than.I think they should sue them, if nothing than for past times :) Edited by zox

Grasshopper

I heard about this on the radio during a quick business news spot. The announcer mentioned the lawsuit and a very brief synopsis of it. She followed it up with something like, "stocks for both companies have gone up since the announcement was made." :thumbsup: I used to be an underdog, AMD guy, but now...eh...it's all business. Part of me wants to think that AMD should kick Intel in the jewels, but I sure hate mudslinging.

I don't think AMD is helping themselves by wanting to have money in an instant at the expense of their main competitor. What they need to do is work harder towards a mobile platform to rival Intel's and maintain their spectacularly low CPU prices in comparison with Intel's. They also need to advertise the beans out of this fact.

Edited by epp_b

I don't think AMD is helping themselves by wanting to have money in an instant at the expense of their main competitor.  What they need to do is work harder towards a mobile platform to rival Intel's and maintain their spectacularly low CPU prices in comparison with Intel's.  They also need to advertise the beans out of this fact.

It's not a question of getting money from Intel. It is a question of stopping Intel from violating anti-trust laws. Do you think that monopolistic tactics are *good* for business?

I didn't say they shouldn't, I just said that it simply doesn't shine well from some perspectives.

To each his own. Personally, if AMD can prove the charges, I feel that it is Intel who's reputation will be hurt. There should be no need for them to compete in such an underhanded manner. They should leave that to** They do a much better job of it.

To each his own.  Personally, if AMD can prove the charges, I feel that it is Intel who's reputation will be hurt.  There should be no need for them to compete in such an underhanded manner.  They should leave that to**  They do a much better job of it.

Ack!! Bite your toungue! :hysterical: