NORTON SYSTEMWORKS

Doug

I am considering installing Norton SystemWorks on my Mac. However I am confused by conflicting information about whether or not it is needed on Mac. On my PC, it was not a question as to needing a good antivirus system. It seems to me that NSW is very intrusive and at times causes problems on its own. Doug

When I first got my Mac, I installed NSW on it. I had it on my Windows system and used it all the time. On the Mac, I never used any of it. Some of the maintenance related tasks are automatically taken care of at night, assuming you leave the system on 24/7. For anti virus, I use Virex which is included with my .Mac subscription. I'm not sure, however, if it is compatible with Tiger. The main reason to have an anti virus on your Mac is to keep you from forwarding an infected file to a Windows user, that had no impact on your system.

SonicDragon

I've never found a need for an anti-virus program on the mac. Like bjf said, they are more for protecting windows users who might be receiving something that you unknowingly passed on. I would explore what's out there for free mac anti virus programs before spending the money on something like that.