Open Letter to the All Things Mac Forum

Scot

All --Compared to the other forums on SNF, this one gets the least traffic. It also doesn't have dedicated moderation, and there's just not a lot happening.I like all kinds of computers and operating systems. I'm not limited to one or even three. So I'd like to keep this place open.But if there just aren't enough people to keep it going, it might be better if we did something else with this space of greater interest to the general membership.I want to know what you think. Please either post right here, or send me a message at:webmaster@scotsnewsletter.comTell me what you think. Anyone with both moderation and Mac experience who is interested in running this forum, I'm interested in hearing from you.Thanks!-- Scot

I usually hang out in ATL, but visit the Mac section from time to time.I expect a lot more interest to develop in the Mac platform over the next year. Their sales and market share have been increasing and OSX Tiger is starting to look really interesting.If you can, keep this section open.

I also read everything here but until my new Mac(s) arrive I have nothing to say that would make sense. If I did some cool new thing on my Performa running OS8 and posted it here I'm afraid everyone would laugh! :)So, yes, please keep it open if at all possible.

I totally agree about the Intel announcement bringing new life to Mac-dom. I think it'll be a while before it really has a serious impact, but it's one of the most fascinating announcements of the year in all of computing. Now, if Apple would just let us run its OS on our existing Wintel hardware, bam, that would change everything. But who knows? Maybe one day it'll happen. (Not while Jobs is alive, I fear, though.)Greengeek: Methinks you are not at all alone with your Performa and other older Mac hardware. I think a lot of people hang onto to older macs. And I don't think at all that people wouldn't know what you were talking about.And let me set everyone's mind at ease. I really have no desire to close this place. I was hoping, in fact, that people would post asking me not to close it.We also have one or two people who have offered to moderate ATM, so I hope that will bear fruit.What one of our admins noted, and I agree with him, is that for this forum to grow, we're going to need help both from our mods and our members. If you see something cool posted somewhere, drop a link to it here. Anything to do with Macs. Reviews. News. Rumors. Apple news. New apps. Updates. That's what spurs conversation, and brings value to a forum. I'm also still interested in hearing from anyone about what they'd like this place to be. Ideas, wishes, comments, what you don't want here, anything. You can send it in email too. B) -- Scot

I have read Scot's newsletter for a couple of years and have learned a lot about PC's and Broadband. I was ingtrigued by Scot's comments about the OS X and his use of the Mini. I have gotten real tired of MS XP updates and constant assaults by hackers. I decided to try a Mac (Imac) and have not been disappointed. I am in a learning curve that requires some study and practice. I have looked to this forum to help. I am sorry there is not more traffic in the forum for Macs.

We would need more Mac users here before instant answers are available like they are in the other forums. Unfortunately I don't know any other Mac users but I might be able to convince a couple of people on other Mac forums to join up.

I am glad Scot that you won't close the forum.There is a great chance as others noted that in a future will be more Mac users, especially with switch to Intel.Until than, well.. we'll just have to manage :D At work, I am using Mac on a daily bases, while Windows is rare thing.At home, I am 100% Linux user.The reason I did not buy Mac mini for home is fear that I would stick with Mac and ditch Linux.I really like Linux and I don't want that to happen but I really can not see a good reason for mass defection to a mac.It is safer, better, faster, and oh my god, does it look great ;) (comparison with Windows, not Linux)I think people are scared of unknown, so switch to Intel would bring releif in term that they wil be "safe" in case they don't like Mac, they can always install Windows on that machine.It all comes down to a perception.I think Intel switch is a good move but not enough, at least not fast enough.I promise, I will try to help here as often as I can.Thanks for leaving the forum :bangin:

Edited by zox

Scot,I have been a member of your Forum for 2 years, I think this is right, and I originally joined because of my interest in Linux and this is a great forum for Linux support. In fact this Forum made my Linux experience enjoyable. The wealth of information and eager members wanting to help is fantastic. When you created the ATM I was elated and I thought here is were I can give back to the Forum. I know OS X I have been working on Macs for years this is going to good. When I could I would try to answer as many request as I could and enjoyed it. I noticed that the traffic was slow and at first I was checking everyday several times a day and looking for posts that I could contribute to. I even started a few I was very excited about the Tiger release and I thought there would be more discussion on it here but there wasn't. Thats when I started checking less often, once a week.I agree with everything I have read in this thread. Things are getting exciting in the Mac world and I'm glad to see that you are going to keep ATM open. I hope that it grows and becomes as big and robust as the Linux group. I have often come here and thought about something to post but often I have nothing. I will take your advice and try to remember to bring cool Mac info to this Forum. Thanks,ChristopherP.S. Oh please keep ATM open.

I noticed that the traffic was slow and at first I was checking everyday several times a day and looking for posts that I could contribute to.
No need to check back. Let fhe forum software do it for you.Subscribe to this forum using the option at top right of the Mac section topic menu.http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showforum=29In the Subscription dialog select the "Immediate emal notification" option and then click "Proceed" to save the subscription for the the forum.You may also want to check "Email Settings" in "My Controls". I like to "include a copy of the post" with the email notifications.Easy way to keep up to date on a section without checking back. Edited by ian

SonicDragon

My vote is for definitely keeping this open as well. This is a great place. If we can help people with Mac problems or stir up interest in this area of computing -- all the better! I've been working with OS X and Macs almost exclusively for a year now and have found it to be an absolutely amazing platform. I wish I could be around here more often to help out!

While I don't have a MAC nor plan to acquire one I do think this forum should stay open. It fits in with what is covered in the Newsletter. Certainly better than last fall's Politics debacle, which did not reflect the Newsletter or technology in any sense.If you're looking to save space there's a thread or two in the WaterCooler that might help. :(

Edited by EdP

• 2 weeks later...

I don't own one either but I have worked on them and I believe with Apple's move to Intel Chips more people may be turning to Macs. Particularly if they can bring the price down.

I'm gratified to learn that so many of our experienced and thoughtful members want ATM to stay open, and are willing to contribute when and what they can.I want to let everyone know that we are working on a full-time moderator for ATM. There was a pause in that effort solely because of my schedule. But someone who email ed from this thread is a very strong possibility, and I will be in touch soon.Please know that my wife is due to have our third child, literally "any minute," so if there's another lull in my action on this, it's temporary!-- Scot

• 2 weeks later...
I'm gratified to learn that so many of our experienced and thoughtful members want ATM to stay open, and are willing to contribute when and what they can.I want to let everyone know that we are working on a full-time moderator for ATM. There was a pause in that effort solely because of my schedule. But someone who email ed from this thread is a very strong possibility, and I will be in touch soon.Please know that my wife is due to have our third child, literally "any minute," so if there's another lull in my action on this, it's temporary!-- Scot

By all means keep ATM open if you can. I mostly participate in the ATL forum and once in a while visit the ATW But I do have an old Mac with OS8 on it that I fire up a couple of times a year. I think that in the future the ATM forum will be seeing a lot more action.. Just my 2 cents worth.Mel >_<