Introductions

teacher

That's my horse, Raki and me in my avatar. Slightly GIMPed! I live in Melbourne, Australia and was born the year Elvis did "That's Alright Mama".I'm a "semi-retired" concert sound engineer. Can never quite leave as I love music, but touring and noise takes it's toll, so I look after a well-known hotel's sound system a couple of nights a week.I knew nothing of computers till about 3 years ago when my housemate conected to The Internet. Suddenly they looked interesting so I immersed in finding out all about using Windoze and apps. Mainly graphics and music. Tried Mandrake 9.0 from a magazine, but the mouse didn't work so left it. However I was encouraged by my partial success installing it, so downloaded Mdk 9.1 (on dial-up!) installed and the mouse worked and nearly everything else. I was hooked!Current distros of choice are Suse 9.2, Mepis 3.3 (update both soon) and the totally amazing Puppy! Puppy loads and runs completely in RAM, you can take the CD out and use the drive for other things, and runs like lightning!Oh yeah, I like horse riding, gardening and reading too. :huh:

Wow so many interesting people here. My favorite hat to wear is Mom, I have two teenagers, it is so much fun watching them grow up and learning from them. I look forward to having grandchildren - someday. I live in eastern Canada, its a great place pretty laid back. I have heard that people from the east of anywhere are crazy and judging from the people around me this could be true. (Although when you think of it everyone is east of somewhere) My Dad was in the Military so we moved a little bit, we lived in Ormocto NB when I was really little, Shearwater NS for awhile and then we moved to Petawawa ON, I moved to Alberta with some friends (four of us drove there with all our stuff packed in a little car) when I was sixteen. I worked at MacDonalds which believe it or not was a lot of fun. My Dad retired and my parents moved back to New Brunswick. I moved back to NB when I was 19 and I have been here ever since. I went through the GED program to get my grade 12 and completed a two year course for Office Technology (secretary) I took the course because I wanted to learn about computers they looked kind of interesting. I'm married, we will be celebrating our 20th anniversary this summer which is pretty amazing when you consider I had planned to NEVER get married. I work as a telemarketer, booking reservations for a chain of hotels it is a really easy job, but I'm thinking I might need a change for two reasons. The first one being it is boring and I am not getting enough physical exercise and the second being that being on the computer all day is bothering my wrists so it cuts into the fun reasons to be on a computer.I had heard about linux while I was going to community college and was intrigued by the concept but thought it was far to geeky for me. Finally I heard about Knoppix and how you could run it completely off the cd and so I ordered a copy from cheapbytes and tried it. I really liked it, I couldn't get online with it but I joined a LUG and the linuxchix group and googled alot. One of the people on linuxchix sent me a copy of Mandrake 10. With the help of this forum I was able to install it and get online with my winmodem. Finding this place has been a real bonus,I had been getting Scots newsletter, when Scot mentioned that he was starting a forum I decided to check it out and I signed up for it. I kind of forgot about it for awhile but every once in awhile I would stop by and finally I started finding all these great people here, I was stopping by quite frequently. What I find amazing is that I have got more help with LInux here than anywhere else although Linuxchix is pretty great. So now I have Mandrake10.1, Mandriva2005, Debian, on my system and I want to put Slackware on it. I will probably settle into one distro sometime but at the present I like them all and enjoy trying new ones.I also like gardening and reading

SonicDragon

My turn B) I'm a high school student and live on an island off the north-eastern coast of the United States. I grew up on a boat as a child, but now i'm land-bound full time. Growing up and living on an island has given me a strong appreciation of the environment and everything connected to it, especially the marine side of things -- I compete in a marine science bowl every year at MIT. I'm also vegan (i don't eat or wear anything that came from an animal...milk, eggs, meat, etc. i also try my best to avoid using other household products that have animal ingredients.) In addition, i'm currently working on a research project with local scientists on the reproduction of our local bay scallop population in order to better preserve its fishery. Music is also incredibly important to me. I have been playing piano for 6 or 7 years... mostly solo, but i have also collaborated with singers and violinists, as well as played for the school jazz band. I'm constantly listening to music... if i'm not near a sterio, it's going on in my head B) I love a little of every kind of music -- from classical and opera to rap. I love discovering music new to me, regardless of it's time period. I'm also very involved in the school paper -- i will be co - editor this year. Currently, i'm working part time for the local paper as a graphic designer (which i kind of funny, 'cause i have no artistic talent! ;) ) Of course, i love computers... though i mostly work with OS X now because of the two news papers, i also love to play around with linux. My favorite distro is slackware. I haven't gotten to try as many as i'd like because the hardware i have here is... rude. It doesn't really like anything else besides slackware.... i guess i'm the kind of kid that loves school and academics and tries to love life as well :) what i look forward to most in the immediate future? a trip to tanzania next summer. I'll be spending a month out of my backpack with a school group, doing community service, going on safari, and ultimately climbing Kilimanjaro. have i put you all to sleep yet? ;)

Edited by SonicDragon

Guest LilBambi

It is great to see a little bit about everyone!Quint, I love the way you did it.And just think ... there isn't a textual 'gleaner' out there that could put anything together about you because you never 'said' a thing ... LOL!Edited typo: gleamer changed to gleaner ;)gleaner definition - (1) someone who gathers something in small pieces (e.g. information) slowly and carefully; (2) someone who picks up grain left in the field by the harvesters. (according to wordreference.comgleamer definition - (1) A brief beam or flash of light: saw gleams of daylight through the cracks. (2) A steady but subdued shining; a glow: the gleam of burnished gold. (3) A brief or dim indication; a trace: a gleam of intelligence.v., gleamed, gleam·ing, gleams. ... [Middle English glem, from Old English glǣm.]gleam'er n.

Edited by LilBambi

I have heard that people from the east of anywhere are crazy and judging from the people around me this could be true. (Although when you think of it everyone is east of somewhere)

I thought at the international date line, there was nothing but a drop off and sea monsters. :"> I live east of a nuclear power plant. Does that count? :thumbsup: Now that I think about it, the water does taste kind of funny. B)

• 3 weeks later...
longhaul606

Just found this forum today. Looking for help on auto-install of Mandrake. I found exactlly what I was looking for. Thank you, Bruno.I am an over-the-road truck driver. Have been using windoze for several years. My son recently started running Slackware 10.1, so I thought I would try a different distro.Born and raised in Texas.

Just found this forum today. Looking for help on auto-install of Mandrake. I found exactlly what I was looking for. Thank you, Bruno.I am an over-the-road truck driver. Have been using windoze for several years. My son recently started running Slackware 10.1, so I thought I would try a different distro.Born and raised in Texas.

Welcome aboard!

I imagine you drive through Little Rock on occasion. It's about the only way through Arkansas.

misunderstruck

I joined today after discovering the forum via an email from one of my students. I teach high school math and I recently convinced the technology director to let me make a Linux lab out of a number of old computers the school would otherwise throw away. Throughout the past year I've enjoyed expanding my students' knowledge of the world of computers just a little bit. A typical conversation:Student: What version of Windows is that?Me: It's not Windows.Student: So it's a Mac?Me: No, it's Linux. Student: What's Linux?A brief explanation of Open Source and what not follows. I gave away a few Knoppix CD's as well. I had used Windows for a long time and UNIX for a short while in college before really getting into Linux about a year ago. I started with Fedora 2 and Mandrake 10.1, and now I have Fedora 3 on our apartment desktop and Gentoo on my laptop. Why Linux over Windows? Openness, configurability, and community.

Welcome aboard and it sounds great at what your doing!!Keep us informed of how it goes and it's great to see another Gentoo user!! We Gentoo users are kinda out numbered here.

Hello all my name is Ken been around computers for a longtime. I also help out on other boards.I just started playing with linux ( debian ) and not doing tobad with it but still a beginner:).you wont see me post for a bit as it looks like you have a greatresource here and I best do some reading before I ask a question.lil history:I started in dos with a trc model 1went through 286 and 386 in dosbefore I went to windows 3.1.I have run win95 and win 98seat present its my main system.I don't care for xp.now I have taken an interest in linuxits a learning curve to say the least.my goal is a small one to run the basics oflinux files, internet, networking and to gaina full understanding of the linux file systemand architecture. I just don't want to use linuxI want to understand it. so here I am:)I hope to get help and in time to be able tohelp others.Ken

Edited by kenver1_5

Hi KenWelcome to the forum . . . . . . as you will have noticed it is a place where we all are friends . . . . so be sure you can feel like one of us right from the start !We have only one rule here that is different from other forums on the net and that is the use of the n**** word ( newbee, noob ertc. ) . . . here is my favorite quote from 2 years ago:

We try to avoid the word ¨newbie¨,  it does no justice to the efforts we, also the beginners, put in to learn a new operating system. I think the wish to learn Linux shows a brave attitude and deserves a better qualification.  --Bruno
:DB) Bruno

Guest LilBambi
I joined today after discovering the forum via an email from one of my students. I teach high school math and I recently convinced the technology director to let me make a Linux lab out of a number of old computers the school would otherwise throw away. Throughout the past year I've enjoyed expanding my students' knowledge of the world of computers just a little bit.

Welcome misunderstruck!You and Peachy (another admin here) have some things in common - Linux lab!

Guest LilBambi

Welcome Ken!Looks like you took a similar path as we did ... except we started with the CoCo II before moving on to an IBM 8088 as the first x86 computer .. from there it's similar. Currently running a PIII 600mhz with a love/hate relationship with XP Pro. :ermm: Fortuntately I also have Redhat 9.x and Mandrake 10.x on this computer as well! I have Fedora Core 3 on a second PIII 450. Gave my PII 450 with Win98SE to a dear adopted nephew in need of a computer.

Welcome, misunderstruck! You will enjoy the neighborhood here...speaking of neighborhoods, I was born and raised in Ridgewood, Queens, about half a block from Brooklyn (St. Nicholas Ave.).

Just found my way over here by accident, was searching for all things linux. A little about myself, Born in '45 so been around a while. Retired, work in pottery, play bagpipes, build and paddle kayaks and play on the computer. All that keeps me out of trouble most of the time.I built my first computer in 1978 (heathkit Z80 with a whopping 64K memory and 7.25 inch drives.) It's been all downhill from there. B) I got real fed up with windoze last year, so asked my son (to whom I taught the rudements of programming) what he is running. He's been with redhat for many years and has had good luck with it so here I am.Don't feel obliged to visit the following sites, they are just listed for those of you with plenty of time on your hands and already have your socks sorted.For those interested in Kayaks, check here:http://tonyolsen.com/kayak/Pottery, http://tonyolsen.com/up/Quilting,http://tonyolsen.com/quilt/all my pictures,http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyolsen/Take care, hoping to learn a bunch from this group and may be able to contribute when I get more up to speed on this sys.TonyOOPs.. prolly should have put this as a reply to the sticky above. Moderator, can you move it?

Edited by Jeber

Hi im jetman (jet is my dog) B) im not one of them cra"z" dog lovers they are ok(Dogs) B) i started linux with knoppix 3.4 went for mandriva and then tryed lots of other oses and settled with mandriva suse and my own os (Based on Mepis) :) Have fun with Linux BR:) Jetman

Edited by jetman

• 1 year later...

Look What I found in the archives!I was searching for info on an HP F380 PSC and I stumbled upon this thread,weird huh? :P Anyway in the spirit of the original thread here's my intro...snminc is a shorthand way of writing S & M IncorporatedI'm s (Scott) and I've been with M since 1987. We have two daughters (18 & 14) and live on the east coast of Scotland near EdinburghI tried dabbling with Mandrake (now Mandriva) & Suse with no success (Due to an alcatel adsl modem) after buying a wireless router I had more success with PCLOS, subsequently I've tried Suse 10, Kubuntu 6.06, Mandriva 2007 & (K)ubuntu 7.04, PCLOS still likes my hardware best although I'm now playing with the 64bit of kubuntu 7.04 on M's laptop (Much to her annoyance)As for a picture I think my avtar is quite a good likeness. The good looking fella (without the hat) is an 8 year old Lab called Tarl who's almost as grey as me now.Any other recent converts to ATL out there fell like an intro?Thanks for reading this far Scott