If you want to build a deck.....

ross549

My dad figured that since I am home on leave, we should be\uild a deck that he and Mom have been talking about for some time.http://www.cowsmilk.net/index.php?module=article&view=182Now, it is not finished (and I am leaving for Norfolk today), but my sister will be sending me pictures to keep us up to date.Lessons learned:- If your right thumb gets in an altewrcation with the spinning blade of a sliding combo chop saw, it will always lose. Don't ask.- No matter how hard you try, the deck WILL NOT be perfectly square. The 80/20 rule* applies here.Adam B)* 80% of the result will require 20% of the effort, and the other 20% of the result will require the other 80% of the effort.

Well, I just got back to Norfolk, and my sister said that it was done. I have one of the pictures, but I must now pester her for the other three she took. ;)

Guest LilBambi

Welcome back Adam!Bet it was hard to leave knowing you were so close to being done with the project. And it certainly has come a long way from Page 1! :)You all did a great job and I am sure it will be beautiful when it's done. ;)

The thumb will be fine..... only took the top layer off. I should clarify what I meant by the deck being done. The decking surface itself is done. The Railing has not yet been started. My dad did not want to get a permit for this project, so he had to keep the costs below $1,000. Since he was at about ~$700 at the finish of the deck, he decided to go ahead and build the railing, instead of "making" it a "seperate" "project."For a while, he was also talking about using lattice paneling for the railing (which Mom was protesting), but after looking at it and the cost of simply building the railing with real spindling (and evaluating the budget so far), he decidedto spring for the pre-made spindling.Amanda will be sending the current picture to me tonight (hopefully), and I should be able to post an update. :)Adam

Adam, I think you need to tell Amanda that there is a large group of people following the progress of this project and she needs to "get a move on" and send the latest pictures! :hmm:

Well, she is quite busy too...... she said that she would try to get them sent, but she is trying to send a 1.3MB image over dialup.... so she would need some time. :hmm:

Hey Adam don't feel bad about the "Squareness" of the deck.My father and I built a nice square deck. It even has the extremely complicated herringbone board pattern (not recommended unless you like using double the wood and using the mitre saw till you've worn out the blade).Then it was onto building a gabezo. 8 sided. 10 foot tall. 8 foot wide. It looks nice from afar but every piece on it is custom cut. Nothing is square. No angle is correct except the roof supports are plumb. Even the roof shingles had to be custom cut by your's truly. Never again will I "Help" him build something without a prior plan of attack and following said plan to the letter. You can't build a complicated structure just by the seat of your pants.Good thing is the sense of great accomplishment when your finished.

Edited by FuzzButt

Very nice. When's you next leave so I can start buying the wood to build a deck? j/k (You're safe, we have a flagstone patio).

Nice! Congratulations to your family. I hope you get a leave again soon (well, after the railings are put up anyway) so you can relax on the new deck & enjoy a picnic with the family.

(and I am leaving for Norfolk today)

ooohhh... I'm sorry. I spent 5 years there on the CVN-71. I'm glad I joined, but glad I got out at 9 years (well, 8 years, 11 months, 13 days to be exact).