IBM ps/2 keyboard w/ mac question

gmehl

Hi Scot and others using mac:I came across your description of starting to use a mac, and specifically where you describe trying to get your IBM keyboard to work with your Mini. You said that the PS/2 adapter that you had originally tried did not work and that you had to go out and buy another.... ok, I think I have a similar problem and am hoping you can shed a little more light on what you did to get your PS/2 keyboard to work with the mac. I have tried a $1.99 ps/2 to USB adapter to try using my IBM model M keyboard on my powerbook..... and it won't recognize it. I can't stand the apple bluetooth keyboard that I am currently typing on.... I am assuming that you tried the same, and then had to purchase some other kind of connector.... what was the name of the ps/2 adapter and does it actually work for a keyboard as old as the one that I want to use with the powerbook?Thanks for any insight anyone is able to provide.Garrett

found the answer myself so this is an update post. One must use a good quality USB to ps/2 adapter -- such as those available from clickykeyboards.com -- I got their 15$ model which is now working perfectly with my 1988 model M IBM keyboard. Yipee! lesson learned the slow way. The $2 adapters don't seem to work.

found the answer myself so this is an update post. One must use a good quality USB to ps/2 adapter -- such as those available from clickykeyboards.com -- I got their 15$ model which is now working perfectly with my 1988 model M IBM keyboard. Yipee! lesson learned the slow way. The $2 adapters don't seem to work.

I actually wound up buying a Mac keyboard that is very similar to a Microsoft Keyboard Natural Elite. The manufacturer is Adesso. Your solution is cheaper. It's also interesting to me. I didn't realize there were differences between USB adapters, though it doesn't surprise me.Thanks for the info.-- Scot