Spam trick

ibe98765

This is great! Very creative. :P I got the email below in my inbox, which just happened to come after I had sent an email. I was ready to try to open the attachment, when I said to myself - huh? Looking closer, it became clear that this wasn't a response from my ISP, it was an email that was sent to me. I immediately noticed it was from a hotmail account which raised my suspicions. Then I caught the poor English "Here were errors processing you[sic] mail". I wonder how many people are going to be caught by this, open the attachment and get an infection?---------------------------------------------------Here were errors processing you mail. Please, read detailed information in the attachment ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- myaccount@myaccount.com (reason: 550 myaccount@myaccount.com unknown user account) ----- Transcript of session follows -----... while talking to mail.hotmail.com.:P>> RCPT To:myaccount@myaccount.com<<< 550 myaccount@myaccount.com unknown user account550 5.1.1 myaccount@myaccount.com... User unknown

This is, in fact, a common spam trick. It's often employed -- in my experience -- by random email address generators that are just looking for a cheap way to validate your email address.-- Scot

brucekrymow

Hi, ibe ~Nathan is correct - this is not a spam trick - this is simply a bounced e-mail from someone else's machine from which a virus was/ is resident that had spoofed your address from their address book.

I've been receiving several of these emails in the past few days. The message always has a .pic or .hta attachement.At first I thought it was from someone who had my address in their book. Then I started receiving the same messages in an address that I never send from. Wouldn't it be something if a spammer is infected? Tens of thousands (millions?) of infected emails being sent and no way to stop them.