Odd Problem in XP

genegold

James M. Fisher
Give Fran aka LilBambi a big prize and hug!  The regedit file you linked had the solution: there was no 'none' in my \Drive\Shell data column.  Many thanks to all for trying to help.  Now I can move onto posing the next XP puzzler that's been plaguing me for a good year, but first I should look through Bob Cell's Windows Tips.

Good work Fran! :thumbsup:

Guest LilBambi

Thanks James :)BTW: I found a great tip on that page listed above..actually quite a few, but this one was one that was annoying me no end. It always took way too long (IMHO) for the Start Menu|All Programs to come up (I have a lot of programs :thumbsup: ). This made all the difference in the world with this little PIII 600mhz w/256MB Ram.

Speeding Up the Display of Start Menu ItemsAdded 11/8/01An easy way to speed up the display of the Start Menu Items is to turn off the menu shadow.  1.      Right click on an open area of the Desktop  2.      Select Properties  3.      Click on the Appearance tab  4.      Click on the Effects button  5.      Uncheck Show shadows under menus