Fonts & Routine maintenance

markrob

I am still glad that I purchased a Mac mini a couple of weeks ago to become my primary computer at home. I work in IT and deal with Windows and Unix at work all week. It's nice to come home to a Unix based OS with a great UI.I have a couple more questions for you veteran Mac users.1. The one thing that I disappointed with so far is how bad fonts look on OS X. I'm use an LG L1930B 19" LCD in Digital mode using the DVI port on the mini. I have tried all the different settings for font smoothing, but they still look aweful. Any suggestions?2. As much as I would like to believe that the Mac is maintenance free and will keep on just working, I know that there must be some routine maintenance that needs to happen?Thanks,Mark

A lot of the routine maintenance happens in the wee hours of the morning, assuming you leave the system on 24/7. If you don't, check out MacJanitor. I use this on my wife's iBook. On my iMac, which is on 24/7, I don't have any routine maintenance scheduled. I let the OS take care of that for me. I will run the repair disk permissions function every month or two. You can find this under Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.

Markrob,This is a good article that talks about OS X maintenance issues: http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/features/p...sters/index.phpbjf123 is completely correct about maintenance scripts that run at night. However if you are like me, I own a powerbook I often don't leave my computer on over night. There are third party applications that provide an interface to run the scripts manually. This article provides a god list of most of them. I'm using Onyx now and I like it. As for your Fonts I'm not sure I have enough information. The fonts on my system look great. I have noticed that some external monitors or Over head projectors that I attach my powerbook to sometimes have an issue with fonts. Can you be more specific than aweful. Is it all system fonts or application specific fonts. What is the refresh of your LCD?

I'm in Safari and Mail most of the time. The fonts look blurred, almost like they are not focused correctly if I was using an overhead LCD. My monitor refresh is 75hz.Thanks for the link to the Macworld article.Mark

SonicDragon

I don't know about the fonts... i've never really had a problem, they look great to me ;)As for regular maintenence, be sure to get the system updates regularly, and it's not a bad idea to verify and repair the disk permissions using the included disk utility after every major update