Let's look, to the future.

DarkSerge

Many years ago, people had 1 MB hard drives and thought "wow that's a lot" and many years later, hard drives were up to 100 MB and people were like "wow, that's a lot." Then as the years went on, they went up higher, even up to 1 GB, and that made people think "wow, all that space, I'll never use that." And in today's modern day, the sizes and capacities keep going higher and higher.As hard drive sizes went up, so did RAM. One time, people has 256K of RAM and thought "Wow that's a lot of memory" and, well, I have 1 GB of RAM.And another modern marvel, e-mail, is as well increasing in size. With Yahoo up to 250 MB and G-Mail breaking the 2 GB barrier, the days of 3 - 5 MB quotas are ancient history.So I post this topic of discussion, what do you think the future holds? Someday, will we say "2 GB, I really need more email space" or "Man, I only have 4 GB of RAM, yeah not much huh? That 3.8 GHz processor is slow as crap. I need a new system."There was a time, back in the year 2000, when my 500 MHz, 6 GB, 96 MB RAM laptop was the big kahuna of the household.

Guest LilBambi

Heck there was a time back in 1986 when a CoCo II or Commodore 64, or even an IBM 8086 was a smoking machine with 64 KB of RAM! LOL!Yes, things do certainly change ... course back in 1986 nearly all, if not all viruses, worms, trojans were not a problem at all. And things like SPAM, SPIM, SPIT, honeypots, malicious websites ... sheesh ... even real websites, IM, VoIP, IPTV, and more were not even a gleam in someone's eye.Yes, we have come a long way .... or have we?! LOL! ;)

I read a pundit the other day who opined that in the near future personal computers will move away from onboard hard drives, instead using online or network storage devices. I know one member of this very forum who is approaching 1TB of hard drive space. I think very soon terabyte hard drives and multi-gigabyte memory will be common in high end PCs. As always, the needs of gamers will push the need for more storage, memory and better graphics. And we have yet to see how popular BTX motherboards and PCI-Express graphic cards will be.

I am not yet at 1T, but I do have 1/2 T of external storage. It well over half full. With what? Several weekly backups of the paltry 80G hard drive in my computer and MP3s ripped from my CDs (for use on a portable MP3 player). Oh, yes. That paltry 80G drive replaced a 60G drive whose pants were getting a little tight around the waist.Amazing how quickly an empty attic, er...hard drive, fills up. The lesson I am learning from this is: never rent a storage box at "Public Storage". My stuff might check in, but it will never check out.Goodness, have I used enough conflicting metaphors?

Heck there was a time back in 1986 when a CoCo II or Commodore 64, or even an IBM 8086 was a smoking machine with 64 KB of RAM! LOL!Yes, things do certainly change ... course back in 1986 nearly all, if not all viruses, worms, trojans were not a problem at all. And things like SPAM, SPIM, SPIT, honeypots, malicious websites ... sheesh ... even real websites, IM, VoIP, IPTV, and more were not even a gleam in someone's eye.Yes, we have come a long way .... or have we?! LOL!  :thumbsup:

My first computer was a Z80 that had *2*kb of ram, a 16key keypad, 8 7 segment LEDs for display and used 300baud audio to record to a cassette recorder for storage.

My first computer was a VIC-20, and although it was bought for home use, I actually used it in connection with my job. I wrote a program in BASIC to take input material, labor and price, and using a formula for incorporating overheads, calculate profit and profit percentage. We used that to calculate profits at least a couple of times, and then we got access to a new spreadsheet program on our mainframe (Dynaplan, if anyone's ever heard of it), and I started setting everything up on spreadsheets. Dynaplan was the Excel of its day, even having "exec files" that you could run like macros to make routine, repeatable changes on the spreadsheets.

i suppose the next hurdle is voice recognition.i mean, as acurate as typing - we all mkae typos - but vr is only 95% - 98% accurate for home use, now.another hurdle for the intel/amd computing world is catching up to the mac for its image editing capacity; although silicon graphics workstations can currently display 4 (4!) simultaneous broadcast quality streams -and!- add visual effects to -each stream!- while playing in real time!

As lazy as I am, I really ought to be using voice recognition. I have it on my computer as part of Windows XP Media Edition. But I never have been able to get comfortable talking to a computer. LOOK OUT!!! Its HAL!!!!

As lazy as I am, I really ought to be using voice recognition.  I have it on my computer as part of Windows XP Media Edition.  But I never have been able to get comfortable talking to a computer.  LOOK OUT!!!  Its HAL!!!!

Daisy....  Daisy...

What I would like to see is away to take voice statement off a digital tape and have the computer type up the report.Natural Dragon Speaking can work for this some what - I need it to be able to take any voice tho, not just my own and convert it to a word doc. We have to do this in our office all the time. We get statement from people that are recorded on to a digital hand held recorder and than we have to listen and type them in. It's a very slow process.The technology to do it all would save me a ton of time, cause most of the time they need to be immediately done.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, speech recognition that just worked would be great.I can picture it now ... Scotty says, "Computer, Computer" ... and someone said he should try the keyboard to which he replies,"How Quaint.":thumbsup:

In the next couple of years I think that email attachments may include HDTV programs and things of huge size by todays standards. WiMax standards will make hi-speed broadbroad more common than the dial up and video and music (Hifi) files will continue to get bigger. Yes, I see where 4GB RAM and mult-terabyte harddrives become common in 3 to 6 years.

Yes, speech recognition that just worked would be great.I can picture it now ... Scotty says, "Computer, Computer" ... and someone said he should try the keyboard to which he replies,"How Quaint."B)

User: G'day computer, log me on...Computer: G'day to you to, I cannot log you on.User: Why?Computer: I'm not logging you on till you apologise for calling me a <<expletive deleted>> useless piece of <<expletive deleted>>User: Pretty please with sugar on it...Computer: <<expletive deleted>> :thumbsup:

With dual processors on a single chip in desktop environments with prbably multiple processors on a chip to handling HD DVD over internet with nantechnology and emplanted computer chips to Heads Up Displays on everyday glasses. All within 10 years I bet.

About 2 years ago i read that 3M had developed processors made of plastic...flexible,small, no silicon, not quite up to speed yet but moving that way.Needless to say i purchased some 3M stock that week. picture a vest with the glasses henderrob mentions, and neural transmitter controls and you're there...!!patio. :)