slackware kernel 2.6 easy way

steel

wolf@wolf:~$ uname -aLinux wolf 2.6.12 #1 Sat Jun 18 22:03:08 PDT 2005 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linuxwolf@wolf:~$
used the same directions to upgrade to 2.6.12, still can't get nvidia to install tho. First distro that has ever barked at an nvidia install** Do note if you use the directions posted earlier, that they changed the naming, use the following:
wget http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.0/packages/cli/AAA/kernelhdrs-2.6.12-i586-4vl5.tgz  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.0/packages/cli/AAA/kernel-2.6.12-i586-4vl5.tgz

I really like the 2.6.12 kernel, things just seem to work without fussif anyone has a method to get nvidia to work, please share.

Edited by havnblast

• 3 weeks later...

Noted in 2.6 easy kernel upgrade that in lilo sexn there is reference to /boot/slack/vmlinuz* but my lilo has /boot/vmlinuz*. The upgrade/install yielded error message 'cant find /boot/slack'. Should a ln -s statement be used to use the 2.6.11 kernel? If so what? Otherwise how does one get the kernel to work without the '/boot/slack'. Thanx.

Hi lestoilWelcome to the forum !!The "/boot/slack/vmlinuz" is only if you use another lilo then the Slackware one . . . but if you use the Slack lilo the entry should be "/boot/vmlinuz<version-number>" ;):thumbsup: Bruno

hi everyone i just wanted to share with you all the easiest way i know of having a 2.6 kernel .. after updating my vector linux i was curious if it would work on my slackware 10.1 so i tried it and its been 5 days and nooooooo problems at all,nothing broke and everything works excellent... here is what i did ...
wget http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.0/packages/cli/AAA/kernel-headers-2.6.11.2-i586-2vl5.tgz  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.0/packages/cli/AAA/kernel-2.6.11_2-i586-2vl5.tgz

i also made a backup just in case but never needed em but you should always backup so

cp /etc/modules.conf /etc/modules.conf.oold cp /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.conf.oold

# installpkg kernel-2.6.11_2-i586-2vl5.tgz# installpkg kernel-headers-2.6.11.2-i586-2vl5.tgz

then dont forget to add your new kernel to your lilo

image = /boot/slack/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.29       root = /dev/hdaX       label = Slack 2.4       append="hdc=ide-scsi"       vga=787image = /boot/slack/vmlinuz-2.6.11       root = /dev/hdaX       label = slack 2.6

X is where you have your slackware partition, and /sbin/lilo  and thats it your done  :thumbsup:

Thanx bruno. What I meant is that following easy 2.6 kernel install gave that error message 'cant find /boot/slack' after adding 2.6.11 to lilo menu without /boot/slack and was left with 2.4.29 kernel. Thanx.

HI lestoil

image = /boot/slack/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.29      root = /dev/hdaX      label = Slack 2.4      append="hdc=ide-scsi"      vga=787image = /boot/slack/vmlinuz-2.6.11      root = /dev/hdaX      label = slack 2.6      vga=787
This entry above was to add to a foreign ( other distro ) lilo.conf and not the Slackware one . . . if you want the entries for the Slackware lilo.conf they should be like this:
image = /boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.29      root = /dev/hdaX <<<========  change to the partition number of / )       label = Slack 2.4      append="hdc=ide-scsi"      vga=787image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11      root = /dev/hdaX <<<========  change to the partition number of / )       label = slack 2.6      vga=787
:thumbsup: Bruno

Thanx bruno.  What I meant is that following easy 2.6 kernel install gave that error message 'cant find /boot/slack'  after adding 2.6.11 to lilo menu without /boot/slack and was left with 2.4.29 kernel.  Thanx.

Thanx again bruno : :thumbsup:

You're welcome . . . . let me know if it works this time ;):thumbsup: Bruno

Yes it boots fine and after updated alsa files have sound, but now neither as root nor as user do I have access to /dev/cdrom or dev/cdrom1. I noted that fstab is same as for 2.4 kernel where I had permissions as root and user. Thought 2.6 kernel would have different fstab. Tried chmod 660 /dev/cdrom but message said this device doesnt exist. Same for chmod 660 /dev/cdrom1. How to change fstab so devices are seen? I can copy /etc/fstab from Kanotix or Xandros3 or Libranet 3. A similar situation occurred on previous SLW10.1 installs then after reboots. Problem solved. But at least lilo menu has both kernels listed. Lilo is at root partn. So I have access to regular SLW. Thanx again.

Hi lestoilThe 2.6 kernel uses everything the same as the 2.4, only the kernel modules and the kernel itself are different . . . so the fstab is the same one too . . also the permissions for the devices and files are not changed from 2.4 to 2.6, so I wonder why your cdrom acts differently . . .

I can copy /etc/fstab from Kanotix or Xandros3 or Libranet 3.
Well you better back up the original one before you start experimenting with that !! And if you take the fstab from another distro make sure you change the /dev/hdaXX numbers to reflect the partitions in use by Slackware !!:thumbsup: Bruno

I'll just add for the list in general my practice here -- I periodically dl the new kernel source and headers -- like done at the top of the thread -- and then compile a new kernel strictly for the box it is to run on. This requires a little bit of research ahead of time to get your mobo chipset and various peripheral chipsets -- for the first time you do this. Later, you can reuse the .config file as you like. Then go through the steps to gen a new kernel, which means you'll spend a bit of time in xmenuconfig -- where you'll check to include inside the kernel drivers for all of your known hardware, and to exclude all others -- then do the final commands to make the kernel. Aside from whatever time I spend pondering the many options in xmenuconfig, the whole thing takes no more than 25 minutes or so. If you missed something, do it again. That done, the vmlinuz file, the system.map file, and the /lib/modules/rev_of_ kernel tree can all be copied off to some safe place [use tar] -- and then just unpacked into any distro you might want to run on that machine. Edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst to inform grub of the new kernel, and reboot. So, at this moment, I'm running a Mepis 3.3.1 that I particularly liked, but the kernel is my custom A64 compile with just the driver parts for this puter. Generally -- this works like a charm. Have had one or two instances where it didn't, but so far this kernel has worked well on mepis, kanotix, suse, ccux, and 2 slacks. Very peppy in use. The Mepis renders the fonts I like the prettiest, for which I have no explanation, but that's enough to keep me coming back to it. Plus, it never complains when I want to compile something. Of course, you've still got the original kernel there if something goes wrong -- but I've rarely had to resort to running that.Edit: -- just to add, I have no clue why distros are still being sent out in 2005 compiled to i386 and i486 instruction sets. Can't be that many people running on those ancient cpus -- or even low-standard first-gen classic Pentiums [i586, no MMX] for that matter. There are several all i686 [P2] distros out there - and you can get Athlon and Athlon-64 distros and P4 distros also. Running i486 code [e.g., Slackware, Knoppix] on this A64 is like ignoring overdrive in your car. Waiting patiently here for the A64 version of Vidalinux -- too old to start with Gentoo.

Edited by burninbush

On a side note, concerning kernel headers.... It's strongly recommended not to upgrade them. If you compile stuff anyway.... If you don't link against the same kernel headers that were used to compile your glibc, all sorts of nasty stuff could happen with your new proggies that you compile.... :thumbsup: arghh!!!Kernel modules are another story however (nvidia,alsa-driver,modems,et. all) because they look for the running kernel headers by way of /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include... Those are the headers that come inside your kernel. The all-knowing "they" say that you should only upgrade your kernel headers in /usr/include/{linux,asm} if you upgrade glibc, AND they need to be the kernel headers that that particular upgraded glibc was built against....If you only install binaries that come from your distro, then it really doesn't matter because they build all their binaries against the same glibc and headers that shipped with the system... If you see an update to glibc in your distro's repository, they will always build it against the same kernel headers that were shipped with the system...Man, that was really long winded... :thumbsup:havnblast, I'm curious what your nvidia error was. I have a uniquely painfull/long expierence with troublesome nvidia drivers and have become quite adept at getting them to play nice. If your still having problems, let me know what it's doing... I don't remember seeing any specific errors that you posted...

Here... :thumbsup: This is what I was talking about... The MAN can explain it better than I.http://uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0007.3/0587.htmlThe part about not compiling your kernel in /usr/src is a tad anal and IMO there is nothing wrong with it. But the part about the kernel headers is on the money. I know we are not talking about the traditional symlink that Redhat started years ago in /usr/include, but if you replace your kernel headers, your effectively doing the same thing... :thumbsup:

havnblast, I'm curious what your nvidia error was. I have a uniquely painfull/long expierence with troublesome nvidia drivers and have become quite adept at getting them to play nice. If your still having problems, let me know what it's doing... I don't remember seeing any specific errors that you posted...

ummmm off the top of my head I can't remember. I still get the Xwindows, just not the nvidia drivers installed. I would try it again but I am at work at the moment. I'll give a whirl tomorrow morning when I get off and see what the exact message is. Normally nvidia is not a problem with me.

• 3 months later...

I have been using Mandriva a few months now i follow all the steps posted and also Bruno's URPMI Sources in Mandriva 2006 AND NEW UPDATES Mandriva 2006 i am considering installing slackware, i would really like to learn linux better and also run my own server heard that Slackware made a great server. I am a little worried some of the steps posted in here are over my head. Advice would be appricated thank you in advance Briss

Hi BrissonYou have to know that the default Slack 10.2 install comes with the 2.4 kernel . . . . because Pat ( the Big Boss of Slack ) thinks it is more stable then the 2.6.So, myself I run Salck 10.2 happily with the 2.4 kernel and am not tempted at all to use the 2.6 ( do not see the need of it )So if you want to install Slack get these 2 ISOs:slackware-10.2-install-d1.isoslackware-10.2-install-d2.iso Here: ftp://ftp.bit.nl/mirror/slackware/slackware-10.2-iso/Then study the install procedure here: http://www.bitbenderforums.com/vb22/showth...p?postid=311808 ( Very important is the screen that says: "INSTALL LINUX KERNEL" ==> cdrom . . . Use kernel from the Slackware CDFinally remember that at first boot you will only get a GUI if you login and type "startx" !!!After that there are 3 Tips to help you configure your Slackware install:Slackware Tips 1Slackware Tips 2Slackware Tips 3:hysterical: Bruno

LOL . . . yep the installer is "slightly" different . . . :hysterical: . . . . but if you read the texts on the screens accurately AND remember that the "tab-key" is for hopping from "yes" to "no" and the "space-bar" is used for marking lines ( putting an X in the "box" to say you want that one selected too ) . . . . ( so basically you use the arrow keys, the spacebar, the tab-key and the enter-key during the install ) . . . . . . . so beside all that the installer is pretty straight-forward, just give it a swing and maybe you will have to do it a second time because you took the wrong decision somewhere, but then you will get it right !Slackware is a bit of work . . . but if you want to learn something it absolutely is worth it !:D Bruno

2.4 more stable?? wow I don't see that at all. 2.6 handles hardware better, which in turns makes the software work properly. I guess it may depend on the hardware your using?Slackware does make a great server. I'm very close to dumping my gentoo system to run slackware. All my machines would than be slackware based, I'm still warming up 10.2 tho, I am very happy with my 10.1 system and don't plan on changing it one bit as that is my backup server.