MS Office Question

LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

was wondering ...prolly a REALLY simple answer to this question but i sure as heck cant figure it outwhat im loooking to do is have the Calendar aspect of Outlook 2003 run on startup i dont need the entire suite to run .. i do have alot of appoiontments that are listed in the Outlook claendar and woudl like to be alble to have that aspect of oultlook run on startup so that when its comes time for the appointment reminder ill get the reminder that pops up ...any suggestions ????

I haven't been able to find exactly what you are looking for, but if you are a brave soul and don't mind working with your registry, you may be able to work something out. I don't what OS you are using, but know that WinXP has a folder that will start programs at windows startup if you place the programs shortcut in it.If you create the registry entry shown in the link below in office 2003's preferences file (I have 2002 not 2003 so I can't tell you exactly where it is located, but it should be relatively close to the location shown in the article) and then create an Outlook shortcut and move it to the startup folder in the your user name programs menu. On the Outlook shortcut you create in the start up folder, select Proprieties and on the Shortcut Tab in the Run: box, select Minimize.The registry key you create will minimize Outlook to the system tray whenever you minimize it and the shortcut you place in the Startup folder will start Outlook when Windows starts and because you set the shortcut to start minimized, it will open in the system tray rather than opening as it normally would.This is for office 2002/XP but the principle should be the same.http://www.windowplanet.net/articles/default.asp?article=78Edit: the starting minimized did not work for me, it opened to a window (it was a good try though) but by having it start at start up and being able to minimize it to the system tray will at least prevent you from forgetting to start it and keep it out of your way while you are working.

Edited by Ronbo

LoneWolfMage

sorry about not being more specific .. OS Win xp with SP 2 and all updates to presentOffice 2003 with all updates to present im kinda sheepish with workin with the registry LOL but ill give that reg modifcation a try ..thanks what im lookin for is the Calendar option to run on SYSTEM boot up not progam boot upEdited to add :that reg modification seems to exisit already .. and it seems to effect ONLY if the program is currently running

Edited by LoneWolfMage

I think you'll have to start the entire program and just set it to have the calender to be the section that opens. I believe there are simple desktop calendars (as part of either the object bar that mimics the bar in osX or the sidebar from longhorn) that can be tied to Outlook.I'm sure someone here uses one of those calendars, if not I'll be happy to do a little poking around and see what I come up with.

that reg modification seems to exisit already .. and it seems to effect ONLY if the program is currently running

Apparently M$ included that registry entry by default in 2003 because I had to add it myself in XP.I knew you trying to get just the calender to function by itself but I can't find anything that will let you do that, I don't think you can have access it without Outlook running. Other than using the shortcut in the startup folder and leaving Outlook to run minimized to the system tray I don't know what else to tell you. I did find that if you right click the Outlook 2003 icon you can choose to minimize Outlook to the system tray.This calender will tie into Outlook, I use it myself, but it doesn't pop up reminders like Outlook will. It may be of some help to you.http://www.ipi.fi/~rainy/index.php?pn=proj...ject=rainlendar