Network Calendar

johnwhorfin

Our office needs an application that will serve as a docket management calendar. Ideally, anyone can enter information in the calendar, so that all users can access the data. We do not run M$ Office, but instead use Corel Work Perfect Suite 10. I have experimented with Corel Central's Dayplanner and Calendar, but it lacks the funtionality I am looking for in a shared calendar. Anyone have a suggestion as to an easy to use, low cost application I could test? Thank you for your input.

You could try Novell GroupWise, but that would entail installing a Novell server, which is probably not what you want. The Mozilla Project is working on Mozilla Calendar and currently have Mozilla Sunbird in development. It's not ready for prime time but you could check it out.Other lesser known apps are WinDates and Microsoft Works.And I just came across iCalShare, a web-based calendar sharing system using iCal compatible clients. The clients mentionned above can work with this, although I've never tried it or know if it is something that might interest you.

Thanks to everyone that provided input. I like the look of Essential PIM suggested by striker. I especially like the fact that it is free and easy to configure. I will try it out and post a review later (provided I remember).

I will try it out and post a review later (provided I remember).

John, I hope you do remember! We have a small network for our home office (Windows 2000 server) and I couldn't find anything that (a) was suitable for multiple users, (B) had an interface we would willingly use, and © wasn't overkill. GroupWise, as Peachy and Temmu mentioned, is wonderful, and I think they'll let you try it for a month, but it's probably way more than what you need.I made a basic month-by-month calendar in Quattro Pro and set it as a shared file in a central location. We usually don't have more than a couple of appointments a day, so this basic calendar, which I did in one evening and, uh, repaired the next evening, works just fine for us. You'd kinda think Quattro would have a template for this already, but naah. Edited by Epistrophy

Essential PIM is my choice for the moment. The other person who needs to use the calendar, unfortunately, has been on vacation until now, so I can't say for certain this will work. I will post again later. As far as using a calendar I set up with Quattro Pro, I have never been that fond of Quattro. Maybe it is time to roll up the sleeves and dig in? Regarding templates, I do miss my WP8, and the many templates it contained. I am working with version 12, and while it performs great, I do wish it came with more preset items that I could tweak to my liking.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd disinter this thread.... These guys have released a beta of something called Essential PIM Pro, which claims to be network-smart. I installed it this afternoon and put it through a few paces, signing on as two different people (the ever-popular Administrator as well as yours truly) and creating a couple of calendars. So far, so good.The interface is somewhat less customizable than I might have expected, but is attractive and well-designed to begin with. It's very fast (of course, I don't have much in there yet). All the databases I have designed are easily accessible, no matter who I'm signed on as (there is a password-protection scheme).EPIMPro is $40, but it's $20 for the next few days. The difference between this one and the freeware version is in the shared databases. It is still in beta and the printing appears to be somewhat screwy, but anyway you can try it out. This might be a keeper, and I'm picky about these things.http://www.essentialpim.com/

• 2 years later...

I realize that this is an old topic but I thought I'd mention an application that's free, easy to use and simple to set up. I've been using UK's Kalendar ( http://freenet-homepage.de/ukrebs/) in my office for the past 5 months with 7-users and it's worked perfectly.It's also available from SnapFiles.com (http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/UK_Kalender/kalender.html) where you can read some user reviews.

Edited by Jason

I don't see any mention by essentialPIM or UK_Kalender that they are 'groupware' capable .
This is taken directly from the UK Kalendar site:Network support"UK's Kalender" supports a shared event file, where every user can enter events that'll show up in each other user's calendar. For using the network functions it is neither required to install special server software nor to keep the computer with the shared event file permanently running. "UK's Kalender" will synchronize the local event file as soon as the shared event file is accessible. This is taken from Essential PIM's web site (Pro vs. Free Comparison):Multi-user access to databaseEssentialPIM Pro database can be put into a shared folder, accessible by multiple users. This database can be opened by multiple users simultaneously, creating an easy to use and powerful groupware solution. All changes made by each user will be recorded in a shared database.The RC1 release of EssentialPIM 2.0 uses the FireBird database for multi-user access. Edited by Jason