Getting past startup login

FuzzDuckie

Is there a way to do this?MAC OS X PantherNo install disk I looked on google and what I've found is that you need the install disk and choose "Reset Password".Person is locked out of computer by evil sister. No access to install disk.

The install disk is the only way... unless there is a "Master Password" assigned for the computer (this has to be created by the owner prior to the situation). A Master Password will reset any other passwords, to see if there is a master password on the system, try entering a username (if required) and or entering a password 3 to 5 times, if there is a master password it will request it to reset the password.There is one other alternative, but it requires that the account you want to access doesn't have File Vault active. I'm very hesitant to post the directions to do this... Send me a PM if you want the directions, HOWEVER: It requires access to another Mac or a FW HD with an OS X install on it.The system SHOULD have a copy of the install disks, all Macs come with system CDs.

Thanks Arena. As far as I know there is no access to another MAC so your second suggestion would not really help anyway.I am pretty sure there are installation disks etc. Just that the person does not have access to them as far as I know. (its a long story....)Thanks for confirming what I found on google.

• 3 weeks later...

Being that OS X is based on a Darwin BSD core, there must be a way to boot into "single-user" mode. I've never watched a mac boot but with every other UNIX there is a way to boot into single-user mode which is basically the root account with no passwords, no network, etc. From that single-user shell you could use `passwd` to reset the desired user's pass.I guess that might work, anyway.

Edited by nilson

Nilson,Yes there is a way to boot the computer using that method. And if the user knows Unix commands, they could probably reset the password...Mac OS X startup shortcuts (saved as PDF from the OS X Help system): LINK