VMWare in action

Guest ThunderRiver

Guest ThunderRiver

Right now, I am installing Windows Xp in Vmware, and the host OS is SuSE 8.2 Pro..I will get back to this post with screenshot.. it wasn't soo bad after all. Pretty smooth. VMWare runs much better than it is in Windows at this moment. But we will see :huh:

Guest ThunderRiver

It works well, and Xp is running a lot smooth (even better than running xp within an xp/2003 for that matter). The only thing I noticed is that, ever since I installed VMWare, my south volume/mixer control tray icon in KDE is gone.. I don't how to get it back though :huh: The volume was also turned down, so I had to get in YaST control centrl to tune up the volume. For a sec I thought I lost my sound forever, but it turns out that only mixer/volume control missing..

Guest LilBambi

Good to know Thunder! Sounds like a successful venture. Glad you found your sound and that it wasn't gone for good! :)I take it YaST is the main OS control center in SuSE? (Sorry, haven't done SuSE yet :huh: )

Thunder, I knew Suse 8.2 comes with wine 20030217 but never noticed VMware as one of the included packages.This is great, my 8.2 personal edition is in the mail, hope it has VMware, too. B) I have 30 GB free on my c:drive. What do you recommend for Suse running XP? This is very impressive, glad you did it! ;) Ken

Guest ThunderRiver

VMWare is not free, and it was never part of Linux tree. You can check out the trial copy at www.vmware.com I recommend you to have sound card and video card fully functional before using VMWare, VMware runs very very natively under Linux. Perhaps, that's because of the management is diferent in Linux as opposed to Windows.

VMWare is not free
Thunder, it has to be free or trial for me to afford it. ;) I'll wait until I get my Suse up and running, then I'll try it.Ken

Guest ThunderRiver
VMWare is not free
Thunder, it has to be free or trial for me to afford it. ;) I'll wait until I get my Suse up and running, then I'll try it.Ken
Heheh. yeah give it a try, and find out the pro and con about using it. Only pay for it if you use it very often..

Guest ThunderRiver

Okay the main difference I have noticed of running Vmware in both Linux and Windows is that when VMWare is running in Windows, and if you multitask with other programs on the host, you can feel the significant slow down, but in Linux, even with VMWare running, you could hardly feel any performance slow down. Amazing. If you click on MS Word (yeah running with CrossOver Office), it will start at the same speed as if VMWare wasn't running :)