1394a, 1394b

Gus K

Tried to install an external firewire HD for a friend (told him it would be a snap). No go, it shows in Disk Management (XP) and partitions but would never finish formating, always an error at the very end. Popped it onto my rig and it set up easily. I am assuming it must be his firewire port, it's on a Pinnacle (one of 2) vid capture card. Make sense? Does moving the card to another slot help in cases like this?My second question is if he needs a new card will a 1394b (800) work in a 32 bit computer (his drive is 1394b)?

My second question is if he needs a new card will a 1394b (800) work in a 32 bit computer (his drive is 1394b)?
I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't.

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't.
In searching around I found this... don't know if this is specific to this brand or all 1394b cards: System Requirements for PYRO 1394b PCI Card * PC o Pentium III 500 MHz or faster o Available 32-bit or 64-bit PCI slot (64-bit slot required for full FireWire 800 1394b speed) o 128MB RAM o Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP or newer

In regards to the Drive it's self.... I'm assuming it came with a 800 (M) to 400 (M) cable? There shouldn't be any issue when using that cable... I use a similar cable on a number of different brands of external hard drives on systems that dont have 800 ports.Just curious, how large is the HD?

o Available 32-bit or 64-bit PCI slot (64-bit slot required for full FireWire 800 1394b speed)
Well, Firewire 800 is roughly 800Mbits/sec, which translates into roughly 100MB/sec. In order to max out a SATA133 IDE connection, 2 74GB Raptor drives were required in a RAID 0 configuration. Following these numbers, I don't think that there is a need for full 800mbit/sec speed for a hard drive, but your results may vary.I may be completely wrong though. :hmm:

In regards to the Drive it's self.... I'm assuming it came with a 800 (M) to 400 (M) cable?  There shouldn't be any issue when using that cable... I use a similar cable on a number of different brands of external hard drives on systems that dont have 800 ports.Just curious, how large is the HD?
It's a LaCie 500 GB. No adapter cable it has both a and b ports. The drive works properly on my rig, firewire on Audigy SC, XP sp1 (he installed sp2 on his). In looking into the problem it's probably an sp2 issue (this sp2 stuff is so annoying). Seems LaCie has an sp2 firmware flash that they prefer to be done on a non-sp2 rig.