Having trouble downloading AVG

rolanaj

I have tried to download AVG a couple times in the last few days but I keep getting an error when I try to install it saying that some of the files are corrupt please download another copy, same results each time. Is there a problem with the newest version of AVG does anyone know?

Is it the free version? Are you downloading manually then trying to install?I just downloaded an update to my free version thru the program and it worked fine. (98SE).

Yes it is the free version and I am downloading manually and trying to install. I just removed nortons antivirus off the computer and tried to put AVG on instead.

Did you download it from here? http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/ And this from the FAQsHow to reinstall/uninstall or repair installation of AVG Free? Open the directory with AVG Free installed in and run the SETUP.EXE file or download the current installation file of AVG Free from http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/ and run it to start installation process. The following screen will be displayed during an installation process:Add/Remove Components - choose if you want to add/remove some AVG Free component or reinstall the entire AVG Free programRepair installation - this option repairs or reinstalls missing or damaged components of AVG FreeUninstall - this option removes the AVG Free program from your PC

Edited by zlim

Yes that is where I downloaded it from. I never actually got it installed to do a repair because as soon as I click on it to install it tells me that it cannot install it as some of the files are corrupted and I should download another copy of it. I am downloading it yet again but if it doesn't work I have an older version on disc that I may put on for now so he has some sort of antivirus on his system. Or would it be better for me to try a different antivirus software that is more up to date?

Well it looks like I got a good copy this time, but I bookmarked the other links for backup. Not sure what was different this time but I am glad I finally got it to work. Thanks for the help.

I just removed nortons antivirus
Are you sure you removed every little piece of Norton/Symantec in your registry ? This has got to be the single most intrusive software around. It's extremely difficult to remove manually.The 1st time I had to re-install XP (in June 2002) was due to this. You may still have conflicts between both AVG and Norton because of orphan entries still remaining in the reg.IMHO, I'd suggest using RegSeeker to do the job. Just use the 'Find in registry' button, and type in norton, let the scan complete, 'select all', right click on any file, and delete them. Do the same for symantec.You'll be surprised by what shows up... B)

Thanks Guitar Man you weren't kidding I downloaded regseeker as you advised and did a find on nortons that got me five registry keys, when I typed in symantec it got me 26 more. I removed them all and things seem ok. On a side note, my dad went probably 24hrs without any antivirus, he checked his email and went to one government site that he frequents, after I installed AVG and updated it I ran a full scan and it picked up two dialers. Hopefully they didn't get the chance to dial home, I have zonealarm on his system partly to keep things from dialling home. The Internet sure isn't a safe place to play these days.

Edited by rolanaj

The next step is to check your Startup tab in msconfig. Make sure nothing is enabled at startup that you don't want or recognize.Then get Mike Lin's StartupMonitor

StartupMonitor is a small utility that runs transparently (it doesn't even use a tray icon) and notifies you when any program registers itself to run at system startup. It prevents those utterly useless tray applications from registering themselves behind your back, and it acts as a security tool against trojans...When you choose not to allow a program to register itself, the program's entry becomes disabled in Startup Control Panel, so you can go back and enable it later if necessary. StartupMonitor watches the Start Menu's Startup folders and the Run entries in the registry.

Do you think that one is better than winpatrol? I have winpatrol on my system and really like it, I also already have it on disc so I could easily install it. If the other one is better though....

Edited by rolanaj

Win Patrol is different from Startup Monitor, I believe. I always install Startup Monitor as one of the first apps on a new computer. It will popup a box any time ANYTHING wishes to load at startup and ask whay my wishes are. I usually deny. Some things would load at startup without you even being aware that they were running. I also install StartupControl Panel (also Mike Lin). This adds an icon to the Control Panel. I can go in and check or uncheck things as I want them to load at startup. Sometimes I want my scanner to load at startup, other times I don't I can't decide which I want thru this app.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the problem was related to this post I just read at another site:

Update infrastructure improvedPosted by: kodl - Grisoft TeamDate: February 3, 2005 11:08AMAs many of you found 'the hard way', update servers for the AVG Free Edition were really overloaded last weeks. The number of active users of the AVG Free Edition has risen dramatically in recent weeks - much more than we anticipated when the new version was released. Consequently, the update infrastructure was not able to provide sufficient capacity. Last week, update servers were serving more than 5000 users concurrently practically whole day, providing constant throughput of several MB per second. We were well aware of the problem and during the last month, we were working on improvements of the infrastructure. As you may imagine, further increase of such a capacity is not just about "turning a knob", the process was a whole lot complicated.I'm really glad to announce, that as of February 3rd, update server infrastructure has been moved to a different provider. Now the capacity was greatly enhanced and users of the free edition should not experience any (big) problems with update server accessibility. Of course, the AVG Free Edition still does not offer the same level of the update service as the full version - both in terms of capacity and reliability. However, we believe that the current solution will provide appropriate and acceptable functionality to all users of the AVG Free Edition.
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?2,22133,backpage=
Copied from http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showt...indpost&p=24422

rolanaj Posted on Jan 25 2005, 12:00 PM   Do you think that one is better than winpatrol?
rolanaj, I'm sorry in not getting back to you earlier, but I see Liz gave a pretty good description of both apps by Mike Lin. I don't use StartupControl Panel myself, but consider it somewhat similar to Win Patrol, in that it gives a good picture of what's in those tabs in msconfig.And thanks to you, Corrine, for the 'heads up' on the AVG slowdowns. I mean, like, what does one expect from a free service for a superb a/v app, eh ? Be patient. Your turn will follow...(BTW, nice avatar ! In time for Valentine's Day ???) :D I wish you a bed of roses ! ;)

Startup Control panel is new to me.I have Win Patrol, and wonder if SCP will do anything different or better than WinPatrol. I think everyone should have WinPatrol.Jerry