SuSE file system errors

longgone

is that what you meant
Yep! Small enough to burn to a CD-R in Mandrake if you want to. But I see you've already backed it up in Mandrake now. :) All the 'du -s' command does is to count up the size of the directory your specify. The 'h' in 'du -sh' tells it to give you easier (more human-like) numbers. M is for MB, K is for KB, etc. That way you don't have to count how many digits there are.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• teacher

• linuxdude32

B) :) ;) ;) :o ...Wellllllllllllllll ..... fudge (with pecans and walnuts) it tells me that hda10 has a corrupt file system and to repair it manually (without -a or -p options) ... so now what .. it won't let me login in as root .. so now the next step is ................

.. so  now the next step is ................
I would say: since you have backed up your /home . . . . do a quick reinstall . . . get all the updates . . . have it running and restore your /home directory so you have all your mail, personal settings and bookmarks again.:) Bruno

It is very simple. Put in your SuSE disk and reinstall the program. You did it once before, so you should be able to do it this time. Select the same partitions and you should be good to go. Since you have Mandrake you can go into the Mandrake Control Center and reformat those partitions before you begin so that there will be no errors there. Your Connection Errors ThreadInstall Party of PastI believe you last installed SuSE way back in June. You have grown a lot since then. I bet you can install this one without too many problems. Good Luck! ;)

Julia ............. The insts I refer too are how to get the back-up from Drake back to SuSE ... I don't have a problem with what you mentined ... that problem arises when I attempt to do FreeBSD ,,, ????

mkdir /mnt/hda10mount /dev/hda10 /mnt/hda10cp -rp   /home/dale/Backup_SUSE/*  /mnt/hda10/home/dale/

You simply reverse what you did before. This time from Drake you mount your hda10 and then copy them back.

Allow me one addition to that command . . . . because you will get a few 100 of "do you want to replace this or that file" questions if you do not add "--reply=yes" in that command :) :D

# mount /dev/hda10 /mnt/hda10# cp -rp  --reply=yes  /home/dale/Backup_SUSE/*  /mnt/hda10/home/dale/

B) Bruno

:hmm: :lol: :thumbsup: :huh: .............Now that the re-install of SuSE is done (or so it appears) and I am about to embark on the insts contained in the two previous posts (Julia/Bruno) .. another problem arises (good one , too) the consol terminal in Drake 10.0 has ceased to function (?????) ... I can click on the icon in the task bar ,, it opens up ,, but it is missing the normally visible info and I cannot make any entries in it ... any ideas where it went to .....

There is usually more than one konsole option. Have you tried one of the others or do you only have one installed? Do you have something labeled terminal? or SuperUser Konsole?

How did you boot that Mandrake Dale ?? . . It sounds to me as if you used the wrong kernel to boot Mandrake.Maybe first write the Mandrake lilo to the MBR

# /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda

And reboot to be sure you have the correct kernel before you start copying over those files to SUSE.:thumbsup: BrunoPS: Is SUSE fully updated with the very latest updates ??? . . . That should be the first step before you do anything else !

:thumbsup: :lol: ...Well ... there is the icon in the task bar that I mentioned ...... in the menu >system >terminals it lists Konsol and RXvt ,, I would make a guess that RXvt sort of means prescription virtual terminal or something to that effect ... then under monitoring it lists Xconsol .. which comes back with "unable to open consol" and RXvt does not seem to do much at all and Konsol is thesame as the task bar ... any other suggestions ?????????????????

:thumbsup: :lol: :hmm: :huh: :huh: :huh: Have no idea what you mean ... did a re-boot and the only error that comes up that I can see (can't read that fast) is something about hdc has the wrong file system, to many file systems, incomplete file system ... guess you take your pick ... BUT hdc is the dvd rom so I am at a loss as it gives me the impression that the boot cd is bad ,, but it has been fine up until now...

Does the console work now ??If not open the MCC --> Boot --> Bootloader . . and just keep clicking next till the lilo is written to the MBR . . . then reboot from your usual lilo and see if there is any improvement . . . ( I hope ! :thumbsup: ):lol: Bruno

:thumbsup: :lol: :hmm: No .... it say that I need root privileges ... I enter the p/w and get what I just posted and it also tells me to check the path ... this path is giving me GERD

Reboot from your 1st Mandrake install CD --> Press F1 at the first screen you get and at the next screen type

rescue

Then select restore the Lilo bootloader from the list and OKThen select reboot and remove the CD . . . and start to pray that the Lilo will be written to the MBR and that booting Mandrake from that entry helps . . . If not: I fear your HD is going south . . . :lol: ( First SUSE, now Mandrake . . . ):thumbsup: Bruno

:P ...Don't know about the hard drive ,,, but ,,,, Drake 10.0 is on hdb ... when I put the first install disk in and followed what you said .. all was good until that "restore the bootloader" came up (lilo was not mentioned) ,, I selected that and the response I got that it was going to write Dolphin boot loader (Drake 9.0 which is on hda in the same place as Drake 10.0 on hdb) ... I canceled everything out and came back here ... BTW in SuSE since I forgot to put the Drake 10.0 boot disk in before I re-booted...

My time is up Dale . . . we will continue tomorrow . . . add Drake to the SUSE lilo and see if we get less errors after booting Drake then.For now just use SUSE . . . . . . are you fully updated ??:P Bruno

Bruno,,,, Okay what is my entry to do that I know it will be in either kedit or gedit ... to the best of my knowledge ... all the available/security/recommended updates are done .. the only ones still on the site are for NIC cards which I do not have an for a Nvidia driver that I do not need ...

Hi DaleBack online . . . let's go for it !Here are the first commands you give when booted in SUSE:( !!!! As soon as one command gives an error, don't do the next one but stop !!!! )

# mkdir /media/hdb 1# mount /dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1# cp -r /media/hdb1/boot  /boot/drake# ls -al /boot/drake

:thumbsup: Bruno

Bruno,,,Afternoon/evening ..... first entry good ,, second entry "does not exist" ,, should or should not the hdb in line 2 be the same as the hdb in line 1 ???