USB 2.No?

GolfProRM

I've got the same problem with my dell inspiron 9200... the 2.0 USBs are slow and give me the message that it can perform faster with a high-speed USB! Did anyone come up with a fix other than buying a new mobo? I still have a warranty. Should I press Dell to fix it? Thanks for any help.
Isn't the Inspiron a notebook? If it is, do you mean buy a new notebook? I'd look in the manul and see what description it has for the USB and check if it is Basic-Speed or Hi-Speed. See the discussions above for the distinction. Remember, both are USB 2.0 standard, but one falls short of the other in throughput. Put another way, it is "legal" to have a USB 2.0 device that runs only up to 12 Mb/s.

• 2 months later...

Okay...I've seen you guys try to be helpful but you're going off on an unnecessary tangent. Buying a new motherboard to get USB 2.0 to work when it should have worked in the first place? That's overboard. The solution is more simple than anyone here has thought it to be.For USB 2.0 to work you need several things:1. A motherboard that supports USB 2.02. Windows XP3. Service Pack 2Assuming the computer doesn't have any other problems install windows XP, install service pack 2, and then view the device manager. Most like you will notice a USB controller with an exclamation mark meaning it's got a problem (no !@#$, right?). Going to Microsoft's website for their USB 2.0 update is not the answer. It will only say the update (SP2) is newer than it. Simply uninstall the troublesome USB controller and then have your computer "Add new hardware". If all goes according to plan it will simply find the drivers (embedded in SP2) and pop up your new enhanced PCI to USB host controller (or whatever applies to you). This may not work for everyone, but its all "I" have to do to enable USB 2.0 to work on my system. Install windows xp, get the SP2, uninstall the controller in question, have the computer find it again...done.

Okay...I've seen you guys try to be helpful but you're going off on an unnecessary tangent. Buying a new motherboard to get USB 2.0 to work when it should have worked in the first place? That's overboard. The solution is more simple than anyone here has thought it to be.
Cylverion... the board was just not laid out for USB 2, simple as that. I had the reseller confirming this.The main board in question (now my wifes pc) has XP SP2 on it, and guess what ... NO USB 2.(No it's not an upgrade XP SP2, it's the full retail version.)So there goes your theory.