Question for other apartment renters......

ross549

I am getting ready to move off base (finally!), and I have found an apartment. The last thing I have to do before move-in day (Jan 18), is get my renter's insurance set up. I have a quote here from Allstate, and was wondering if the premium is high, low, or in the middle.

Coverage                 Amount       Premium----------------------------------------------Personal Property        25,200         95.00(replacement cost)----------------------------------------------Family Liability        300,000         35.00(each occurance)Guest Medical             1,000       (each person)Deductible                  500----------------------------------------------                   Total Yearly Premium: 130.00

This policy also has coverage for any damage caused by hurricanes. I felt that it would be necessary in Virginia. So, what do you think? Is this a reasonable premium to pay for the coverage?

Here's a place that will gather a few quotes for you quickly.http://www.netquote.com/Default.aspxYou can get better deals if you are insuring a car or two at the same time too.I had a policy from State Farm insuring two vehicles and renters insurance, and combining the three actually reduced the total premium by MORE than the cost of the renters insurance.

Edited by Specmon

Thanks for the link, Specmon, but I am not too crazy about giving out that much personal info to a website like that. Sounds like an invitation for spam. :unsure:I am more interested in how this stacks up against other folk's premiums.... :D

Edited by ross549

Looks reasonable to me.  Does that Personal Property coverage cover theft as well?
I beleive it does. And it is replacement cost, not based on value, since many of the things that I will have in the apartment I will be getting for "less than wholesale" and "used." :D

Guest Paracelsus

Sounds about what I'm paying Travelers.I was going to address replacement cost vs. current value...But you've already done your homework :thumbsup:Like any kind of Insurance or Service Contract...It only seems like a waste of money until you need it...Or the premium begins to approach the value of what's insured.

Just a suggestion, but take pictures - or even better, a video of the apartment before you move in. -------------Previously burned by one landlord (only one - the rest of the folks that we rented from were great!)

Just a suggestion, but take pictures - or even better, a video of the apartment before you move in. -------------Previously burned by one landlord (only one - the rest of the folks that we rented from were great!)
My mom suggested the same thing. :"> Thanks!PS- Mom and Dad have a house that they rent out... so I am at least somewhat familiar with the particulars of renting.

Guest Paracelsus

Just received my renewal notice from Travelers.144USD for '05. Not sure off hand what my coverage amounts are. I'll have to check for the other paperwork that probably arrived over the Holidays.

You should get a quote from USAA, too. They're very good and have very competitve rates. Although I can't comment specifically on renter's insurance. I have homeowner's and auto insurance through them and am very happy with their price and service. They specifically service the military community.

You should get a quote from USAA, too. They're very good and have very competitve rates.
You have to be an officer, retired officer, or family member of an officer just about to use USAA. I have been with them for over 25 years and they are hard to beat. I have never had renter's insurance (I did not have that much stuff of any value when I had apartments) but usually keep the house insured as well as our "fleet" of cars with them. In fact I am up to car #20 with them. ;)

I know a lot of elisted folks here use it, so it is accessible to us. In any case, I went ahead and got the policy. From what I had found here locally, it was a very competitive rate. Also the complex manger recommended them. :)It is only just over 10 bucks a month I am not too worried about saving a buck or two over the course of a year ;)

You have to be an officer, retired officer, or family member of an officer just about to use USAA.  I have been with them for over 25 years and they are hard to beat.
When I left the service in 1998 they had just opened up their services to enlisted personnel, too. That's how I was able to get an account from them. prior to that, as you said, it was officers only. ;)

Guest Paracelsus

Don't forget to do one last walk through of your current digs. Even if you're absolutely certain you haven't forgotten something!Moving day(s) have a way of confusing a body :">

Don't forget to do one last walk through of your current digs.  Even if you're absolutely certain you haven't forgotten something!Moving day(s) have a way of confusing a body :">
The barracks staff has to go through this room anyway... to be sure I don't miss anything, and make sure the place is clean. Now I just have to find some boxes. This could be a lot simpler if I was not going to Pascagoula, Mississippi, to witness the christening of my ship. I will be leaving early tomorrow morning, and coming back either Saturday night, or Sunday morning. Fortunately, the power will be turned on tomorrow, and cable will be turned on Monday night around 5pm. So, my presence here will be sparodic at best. :PI ordered my office furniture today. The desk and chair should be ready for pickup tomorrow, and I will simply pick up Monday morning. The file cabinet is backordered, and should arrive sometime. Not sure when though. The desk and the chair is the most important part. :D

Guest Paracelsus
The barracks staff has to go through this room anyway... to be sure I don't miss anything
:D :D :lol:Famous last words!! What's to say they might not pocket something you forgot? o:)Have fun with the Christening :">

:D  :D  :lol:Famous last words!!  What's to say they might not pocket something you forgot? o:)Have fun with the Christening :">
I will be there with them.... :D