Syntax - Firefox vs IE

theHammer

Discovered that none of my pages on a personal site are visible under TB but work fine under IE. Of course I suspect IE has taken some liberties but appreciate someone pointing out the correct syntax. I have used <A href="subfoldername\filename.html">Some heading</A>routinely to reference pages which are located on a subfolder beneath the home folder and page. What is the correct generic syntax or is there one?Ed

I wish it did Adam... and now I do recall the forward slash. However I have now tried

<a href="./subfolder/page.htm">Blah blah. </a> <a href="/subfolder/page.htm">Blah blah. </a> <a href="subfolder/page.htm">Blah blah. </a>

They all work in IE, none in TB. Now TB is handling the rest of the worlds code, why does it hate me. Oh, I have kept everything lower case and no spaces in file and folder names.

I am missing something obvious here that I now suspect has nothing to either absolute or relative addressing. To backup, I am attempting to reference a page on a folder called "subfolder" just below the root. This works fine with either of the following when accessing via Internet Explorer(leaving off the brackets<a href="http://website.com/root/subfolder/page.htm">Blah blah. </a><a href="subfolder/page.htm">Blah blah. </a> Actually I believe I should be able to also use <a href="/subfolder/page.htm">Blah blah. </a> but let's not muddy the water yet.Now none of these permit accessing with Thunderbird. I get a page cannot be found. Now Thunderbird as been handling all sites fine on this Windows SP-Home SP2 OS computer. Ed

Well, Thunderbird is not a browser, so how is it that you are browsing using it? Are you e-mailing yourself webpages? Do you have links in an e-mail that you are trying to pull up? Some of what you are saying is not making sense to me. Some more clarification would be helpful. :D

Ed, any chance you mean Firebird or Firefox? Those are web browsers from mozilla. Thunderbird is an email reader from mozilla which is like Outlook Express.

Maybe I am getting senile- certainly looks suspect. Yes I mean Firefox. Wondered why the question as to what I meant by TB. Never was good with names<g> let alone syntax. So why is Firefox giving me trouble only on the pages I create. I have gone back and resurrected pages I coded for a commercial site years ago and once I was straightened out on forward vs. backslash, I am consistent with that old syntax. A simple relative mention of the subfolder first I know worked 8 years ago for a couple versions of IE and a couple for Netscape - but that was also numerous versions ago. If they did not work for IE now I would think that there was something very basic I was goofing on such as not knowing TB from Firefox - but they do work for IE - just fine.Ed

I thank you Teacher. I do apologize for wasting the time of so many competent "volunteers." I have just carefully duplicated previous trials attempting to detect what else that I was screwing up (such a referring to my e-mail program as a browser<g>). The following hyperlinks all work under IE.<code><a href="subfolder/page.htm">Blah blah. </a><a href="./subfolder/page.htm">Blah blah. </a> <a href="http://website.com/root/subfolder/page.htm">Blah blah. </a></code>None work with Firefox. All display Not Found --The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it. Please inform the site administrator of the referring page.Now unfortunately I am the administrator of the referring page which and I have informed myself as directed -- to no avail.Again Firefox is working just fine and has been since I installed about a month ago. I am a long time user of Thunderbird which hopefully explains why that name slipped out of my brain and got thrown into the pot by accident.Ed

Problem solved.... solved while simplifying the index page to permit your viewing as Sonic Dragon suggested. Turns out that Internet Exploer was extremely tolerant of poor coding whereas Firefox required correct syntax. Hate to admit the full detail to you all, but you do deserve and at my age I accept my incompetence. Now I am not sure which of three misconstructions was fully responsible. First I will note that IE will tolerate a forward slash in a references. But the big problem was I never closed the <Head> until the bottom of the page and just below that was a <Body></<Body> with no content. This cover page on a personal site for the family put together hurriedly last Christmas to share some pictures. It grew over the year with several other pages added. The index page simply listed the hyperlinks to the other pages. I obviously opened a template when I created the home page and paid no attention to where I placed a brief title and a dozen hyperlinks.So I do apologize to all for my careless mistakes and the subsequent request for help. My New Years resolution will obviously be to be more careful in my coding. However you must understand I have been playing with these things from IBM's entry in the very early 80's, so I suspect there is little hope.Enjoy the balance of the holidays.Ed