Ubuntu 8.10

lewmur

I followed the instruction found here Wicd but I still don't have Wicd in synaptic.

deb http://apt.wicd.net intrepid extras

and then ran this from a terminal

**** -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

Then I clicked the Reload button in Synaptic and all of the files dl'd without any errors. But when I search for wicd, nothing shows. What did I do wrong????Edit: The command that should be where **** is, apparently makes the post illegal. Does "wget" anywhere in the post cause problems?Edit #2: Apparently not. How should that be done?

Edited by lewmur

Edit: The command that should be where **** is, apparently makes the post illegal. Does "wget" anywhere in the post cause problems?Edit #2: Apparently not. How should that be done?
Hi Lew . . . read here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=21483 . . using WgetPicture.png in a command triggers an error on the server.An alternative way to post that command would be: WgetPicture.png -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -:( Bruno

put a sudo in front of the w g e t command.
I don't recall having to sudo wget...If that works great.You could also try
sudo apt-get install wicd

this will give you an error code if there is one.

Now this is odd. I just checked my intrepid repo and apparently I have the hardy extras installed. I didn't think to substitute intrepid for hardy in the original command from the wicd website. It worked anyway.Looking at the second command (the "wget" one) doesn't the last part of the command

sudo apt-key add -

preclude the need to add sudo at the start of the ("wget") command.Lew when you run the "wget" command there should be a pause, prompt for your password and then an OK if everything is alright.

Edited by Frank Golden

nlinecomputers

no the commands are two separate commands. They both need sudo. "wget" can run without sudo but it will not put the downloaded file in the same directory as when run as root. So I bet you are getting an error on your apt-key command because it can't find the file you downloaded.

2 ideas1.i went to http://apt.wicd.net/dists/intrepid/extras/ and there's a package called "wicd_1.5.3_app.deb" there.i clicked on it and the dialog said "open with debian package manager"i said ok"package installer - wicd" said - error conflicts with the installed package 'network manager' "i'm not sure if you'd have to uninstall network manager first.------------------------------------------------------------2.however, if you go to synaptic and do a search on wicd, you can install it from there.- you'll have to add the repository per the wicd instructions on the wicd page, then the search and install works from synaptic.
Bruno is right, Temmu. If you use the static wicd .deb package you do have to uninstall Network Mangler first. Dpkg isn't setup to do that.However when using synaptic, assuming the extra repo is installed, it will automatically uninstall Network Mangler first. I guess apt-get is more intelligent in that respect. Even bypassing Synaptic and using the command line
sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install wicd

will automatically remove Network Mangler first. This makes sense since apt-get is really the back end to the GUI program Synaptic.I think it's cool that you can install programs from .deb packages just by clicking/double clicking in later versions of Ubuntu (thanks to dpkg), especially programs not available through the repos. But as you found out Temmu it can cause issues.Dpkg is smart enough to warn you if the package you are installing is available in the repos.There is even a program available in the repos called alien that will convert a .rpm to a .deb that you can install with a mouse click.More examples of Ubuntu becoming more mainstream, IMHO.

Edited by Frank Golden

Now this is odd. I just checked my intrepid repo and apparently I have the hardy extras installed. I didn't think to substitute intrepid for hardy in the original command from the wicd website. It worked anyway.Looking at the second command (the "wget" one) doesn't the last part of the command
sudo apt-key add -

preclude the need to add sudo at the start of the ("wget") command.Lew when you run the "wget" command there should be a pause, prompt for your password and then an OK if everything is alright.

I got it working but now I can't figure out how to switch from my wireless net to the wired. I only see the available wireless connections.edit: Never mind, I found the answer.re-edit: At least I thought I had. Now it does show the wired card in the list of available connections, but when I click on the connect button it says it is obtaining an IP address for just a couple of second at then quits without connecting. The wired connection worked fine under network-manager. Edited by lewmur

I got it working but now I can't figure out how to switch from my wireless net to the wired. I only see the available wireless connections.edit: Never mind, I found the answer.re-edit: At least I thought I had. Now it does show the wired card in the list of available connections, but when I click on the connect button it says it is obtaining an IP address for just a couple of second at then quits without connecting. The wired connection worked fine under network-manager.
do you have the wi-fi disconnected when trying to connect to the ethernet? They can't both be connected at the same time.Edit: I just tried connecting my ethernet card in intrepid 64 bit. Connecting with Ethernet seems to automatically disconnect the wi-fi and vice versa. Have you tried your browser to make sure you aren't connected? Edited by Frank Golden

do you have the wi-fi disconnected when trying to connect to the ethernet? They can't both be connected at the same time.Edit: I just tried connecting my ethernet card in intrepid 64 bit. Connecting with Ethernet seems to automatically disconnect the wi-fi and vice versa. Have you tried your browser to make sure you aren't connected?
With the wireless disconnected, I can click on Connect for wired card over and over again and still don't have access to the web. Click the Connect for the wireless and here I am.