Decent Conky Tutorial

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Awesome System Monitoring with ConkyWe’re going to make our Linux desktop look awesome with a tool called Conky. It’s a lightweight system monitor that you can customize to fit with your desktop theme. You can configure how it looks and also what it displays. It can tell you almost anything about your computer (OS,Kernel Version, IP addresses, Fan speeds, CPU Temperature and much much more).... read the rest of the article at bhaviks Blog --> http://bhaviksblog.com/02/awesome-system-m...ing-with-conky/Enjoy! :devil:

V.T. Eric Layton

Been playing with Conky tonight. It's really neato and all that... but MAN! What a pain in the posterior area to set up and customize. :)

securitybreach
If I get impatient, I may just set my ol' gkrellm back up instead. :)
Oh but you can do so much more with conky. I have seen some amazing shots of it.

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, I thought you meant like running my audio player or getting my emails.gkrellm can do cpu and eth0, plus temps, power supply voltages, etc.

securitybreach

Yup gkrellm is nice but I prefer conky whenever I use non-tiling wms. I find it more customizable than gkrellm. Easer to edit a config file than install plugins.

Oh, I thought you meant like running my audio player or getting my emails.gkrellm can do cpu and eth0, plus temps, power supply voltages, etc.
I think Gkrellm can run audio player and check emails! :( gkrellm-mailwatch - GKrellM plugin to watch mailboxes in multiple panelsgkrellm-radio - FM radio tuner for GKrellMgkrellm-volume - A mixer plugin for GKrellMgkrellmss - Plugin for GKrellM that has a VU meter and a chartgkrellxmms2 - GKrellM plugin to control xmms2And I bet Conky doesn't have a duck!gkrellm-bfm - system load plugin for gkrellm with a duck :P :D

securitybreach
I think Gkrellm can run audio player and check emails! :( gkrellm-mailwatch - GKrellM plugin to watch mailboxes in multiple panelsgkrellm-radio - FM radio tuner for GKrellMgkrellm-volume - A mixer plugin for GKrellMgkrellmss - Plugin for GKrellM that has a VU meter and a chartgkrellxmms2 - GKrellM plugin to control xmms2And I bet Conky doesn't have a duck!gkrellm-bfm - system load plugin for gkrellm with a duck :P :D
Nope no duck but both applications are very nice. I was not meaning that one is better than the other. It was just my opinion.