Yahoo Mail difficulties

crp

Guest LilBambi

First Yahoo screws up by giving away people's email addresses if they haven't logged in within 6 mos. Now this!

Users are outraged that they can no longer organize their Inbox by Tabs or Sort by Sender, they can't view their Folders unless they leave the inbox, new emails are no longer bold, and the delete button is turning out to be disastrously placed next to sender name.

Another widely repeated issue is the redesign's missing-in-action print button.

An astonishing number of users report broken functions that include autosave, draft deletion, Use SSL and more, with some reporting contact emails being deleted and their emails disappearing.

It has been reported that Yahoo is removing email addresses from user address books without consent.

What a load of horse hockey...

Edited by LilBambi

They have just about totally ruined Yahoo Mail. Redesign after redesign for no reason whatsoever. And now they've ruined or broken just about everything. I think Marissa Mayer & Crew are all on dope while at work. Or maybe they're all just dopes. Addresses and emails disappearing into nowhere, multiple functions broken, and absolutely zero customer support. Mindless change for the sake of change. They don't give a rat's azz. And if you can believe it, it's going downhill from here. I think the place is owned by the spammers whose mail they allow in 24/7.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... I never noticed any of this. I access my Yahoo primarily via Thunderbird.

The main reason I've always used an email client and remotely access my email providers using POP3 or IMAP is because I alone determine how my mail interface should look and function. I customize my Thunderbird to be just what I want it to be and function just how I want it to function. The providers can change their web interfaces all they want. As long as POP3 and IMAP work, I don't care. I never see the websites.

woops, thanks fraper for reminding me it is Marissa and not Melissa. Marissa is a G :runaway: :runaway: gler and at this point appears determined to make Yahoo a junior version of her former employee. All of the good stuff that happened when she first came on board where items already in place or in the pipeline when she got there. I really don't understand how she ended up with the job to begin with (well, I have my guesses ...)

oh boy, it is getting worse.

Now YahooMail is not delivering email I send claiming that no MX record exists for the domain i am sending to. yet network-tools.com (and others) do indeed show a valid MX record.

for those wondering, 'really how bad can it be'. well, here are a couple of screenshots.

First, here is the display of messages. In this case it is a lonely message in the Spam folder (a false positive by the way)

th_818665294_ym_1_122_375lo.jpg

th_818665294_ym_1_122_375lo.jpg

They took away most of the menu guidance and there is no way to open the message in any sort of tab. Regular left click on the message subject just opens up the message, not quite what is wanted. Oh, there was a mention that using the Right mouse click will bring up the menu options. Okay ...

th_818666236_ym_2_122_14lo.jpg

th_818666236_ym_2_122_14lo.jpg

Sheesh, didn't anyone test this?

Edited by crp

1. Yahoo is delivering email; I'm now getting spam in my inbox as well as my spam and trash folders. (I've turned off conversations).

2. When you delete a message, after reading it, you get to stare at a blank screen.

3. You can not add any new block items to the block list. It appears to work but when you check the count on your blockable items, the number has not increased and the domain you typed in is not in the list.

I voiced a complaint here: https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/210695-yahoo-mail/category/69082-bug-or-error

Warning: you have to give your email address and a name. I did give my proper email address but thankfully I did not give my proper name. I was afraid that would start showing up, along with my email address when people searched.

• 2 weeks later...

You can block domains in XP; you can not block domains in Win 7. In 7, you have to type someuser@domain.ext. It looks like when I want to block certain domains, I have to fire up the XP computer.

You can block domains in XP; you can not block domains in Win 7. In 7, you have to type someuser@domain.ext. It looks like when I want to block certain domains, I have to fire up the XP computer.

sounds like an IE problem. Have you tried firefox or seamonkey in W7 to block domains?

sounds like an IE problem. Have you tried firefox or seamonkey in W7 to block domains?

Not an IE problem since neither of us use IE. This quirk is in FF, and is as zlim explained, it varies whether you're on XP or Win7. Same on my machines as on hers. I've tried it in IE and get the same results with both OS's as described for FF. It's something the goofs at Yahoo did.

securitybreach

Moving to Social Media as that is the place for browser discussions:

Social Media will cover all topics related to Social Media, Web 2.0, browsers and web applications, email, and more.

Moving to Social Media as that is the place for browser discussions:

No , this is not a browser discussion , it is an email discussion. Please put it back where I had it.

securitybreach

Email questions do not belong in Mobility. Please read the descriptions of the sections:

Social Media

Social Media will cover all topics related to Social Media, Web 2.0, browsers and web applications, email, and more.

Mobility

Topics related to ANY AND ALL Mobile Platforms, Mobile Devices, Mobile Operating Systems, Mobile Apps, and more.

Now if this was an issue on email with Android, iOS, etc.; then it would belong here but otherwise it does not.

Email questions do not belong in Mobility. Please read the descriptions of the sections:

Now if this was an issue on email with Android, iOS, etc.; then it would belong here but otherwise it does not.

Then why did you say in post 13 (http://forums.scotsn...74) that this was a browser issue?

and

Was there a change made recently in the descriptions? Would have 'sworn' email was not listed with browsers.

Edited by crp

V.T. Eric Layton

"Was there a change made recently in the descriptions? Would have 'sworn' email was not listed with browsers."

No changes have been made.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My ISP (Mr. Rogers Neighborhood) recently sent me a note that their email (Yahoo!) will require SSL for both POP3 and SMTP protocols - so I had to go into Thunderbird and change the ports manually and enable SSL if I wanted to continue to use a real email client.

Of course Rogers has never heard of anything but Windows so they don't support Thunderbird - although it works OK if you know the drill yourself.

Domain blocking is broken - again. I think they make 1 or 2 tweaks daily trying to fix something and manage to break something that was working.

If domain blocking is restored, I have to go in quickly and edit my blocked addresses so I can replace a dozen with one block.

I wish they'd up the block amount to 1000 from 500.

On the positive side, sign in is working as it was before October 7th. I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get my username and password to fill in. Since I'm a senior citizen, as is my husband, and we have no children, it's pretty safe to allow my username and password on my workhorse computer.

Edited by zlim

• 2 months later...

bit by bit , Yahoo is giving back UI features they took out.

They are now in the process of allowing viewing of all folders when using the Inbox.