Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 09 June 2016 - 06:28 AM, said:

You could always do a:

locate *.xbm

That's how I found the Openbox bitmap folder (OB uses *.xbm).  Fluxbox uses *.xpm (pixmaps), which is how I found the usr/share/pixmap(?) directory; but those pixmaps seem to be for icons in menus.  At this point I'm convinced they're "baked" into the FB software.  Not 100% certain, but convinced...

#52 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,027 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:48 AM

It could be but I still think they have to be sitting in a directory somewhere.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#53 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:59 AM

I would think also.  But if they are, they're the best hidden files/folder in the history of Linux...

#54 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 03:25 PM

I dug up this old thread (sorry!) because I finally got around to adding Fluxbox in Arch:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This Arch installation has only Openbox and Fluxbox. I generally prefer Openbox, but then I find myself falling in love with Fluxbox all over again!

#55 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,027 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:46 PM

Man, I haven't played with Fluxbo (or openbox) in probably 10 years or more. Those were part of my journey to minimalism. I went from KDE 3.x to xfce to openbox to fluxbox to XMonad to i3. You get to a certain point where it has nothing to do with system resources but it is instead a mentality.

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#56 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 09:13 AM

You get to a certain point where it has nothing to do with system resources but it is instead a mentality.
Indeed. I have far less capable hardware than you do and I can run the most bloated desktop with no problem.
It's a matter of horses for courses. I like Xfce a lot and it seems to be a good blend of efficiency and comfort. I just don't have the mindset to run the most minimal DEs. Besides I have other folks who want to use my machines and they wouldn't have a clue with some of these WMs. My wife has trouble turning off the machine even with Xfce.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#57 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 09:42 AM

Nice screenies Sat!  I had previously tried naked OpenBox and Fluxbox, but didn't really "get it" until you re-introduced me.  I guess it was "when the student is ready, the teacher appears".  I still LOVE Fluxbox, and you can add PekWM into that category...they are very similar, but Flux config syntax is slightly easier "plain english" and there are a LOT more themes for Flux than Pek, so Flux gets the nod.  If Flux went away (Wayland?) but Pek was still available, I could use Pek and be quite happy with that, but as long as Flux is an option, I'll be using Flux.

Which makes me think of this question...what would I use if Flux or Pek (or Openbox) were no longer an option.  It's a very real concern.  History shows that the VHS/Betamax war was won, but not based on the technical merits (I backed Beta).  And despite its lineage, the MS Zune was technically superior to the iPod in nearly every way, yet still lost.  In each case, I backed the wrong horse, despite superior technical merits.  Not sure it's a good analogy for desktop WMs, but I do have a history of choosing the superior product for the right reasons, only to make the wrong choice in spite of all that.  WTH?!

Point being, Wayland is on the horizon as a nearly useable everyday Xserver, with Lubuntu even identifying 20.10 as their projected switch date, 2 years after their first LXQt offering.  As it stands today, neither OpenBox, nor Fluxbox, nor PekWM are Wayland compatible.  Fortunately WMs in LXQt are extremely modular...just install the one you want, choose your WM from the pulldown menu in LXQt settings, logout, login, and your new session is now managed by your WM of choice.  Besides Openbox, some of the more popular WMs in LXQt seem to be XFCE4 and Kwin, as they both have built-in compositors and LXQt devs are on record as not being comfortable with Compton's seemingly "dormant" status.  Still works great, for now, but questionable for the future.

The "Killer features" in Flux for me are Window grouping/tabbed windows and the right click/keychain floating root menu....wherever you are on the screen, click and there's your menu!  Flux and Pek have both, while Openbox lacks the tabbed windows, which is why Flux and Pek get the nod.  Furthermore, OB devs have traditionally shot down any feature requests for tabbed windows.  They don't like it (forget the reason?) and have made it clear it's not happening.  I can use OB in a pinch, on some of my other household computers, like my media server and set-top kodi boxes, and my recording studio computer, but not my production machines.  It's too frustrating, as the tabbed windows are ingrained into my workflow.  I've since learned that Kwin used to have tabbed windows, but removed them in an earlier KDE transition, but are considering re-implementing them.  IF Kwin re-implements tabbed windows, that only leaves the floating root menu to be solved and Kwin could be a viable alternative.  Is anyone aware of a root menu project that could be added to a desktop?  Preferably Qt based?  I saw this project for Plasma desktops, so it looks like it might fit the bill, but recent comments indicate it's not being updated and is broken.  But even if this isn't the right project, this is certainly the concept I'm looking into:

https://store.kde.org/p/998904/

So theoretically, IF Kwin restored its tabbed-windows functionality and IF plasma-custom-desktop was updated/patched to work on Qt desktops, I would have everything in a WM that draws me to Flux & Pek.  I know there are other WMs with tabbed-window functionality, but it seems the combination of tabbed windows & right click/floating menu is quite rare.  I guess tabbed windows doesn't surprise me, but I'm somewhat surprised there aren't more standalone menu applications for linux desktops.  It seems everyone has different menu preferences and I'm surprised no one has developed a modular/standalone menu generator that can be customized for the preferences of the user and/or the desktop environment its being utilized on.  Or maybe there is, but it's a secret amongst developers because they keep the best stuff a secret?

But Flux was a secret until Saturnian whispered it in my ear.  Are there any other WMs with tabbed-windows AND floating root menu functionality?  Are there any modular floating root menu applications that I can install on ANY desktop and tweak to me liking?  Share your knowledge!

#58 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:55 PM

According to this, a few other window managers offer tabbed windows: https://en.wikipedia...window_managers

I don't use that feature in Fluxbox very often, although I use tabbed windows within individual apps, like with Geany, and with terminal emulators like Terminator, xfce4-terminal, etc.

I do set up a desktop right-click menu in KDE Plasma. I'm not totally satisfied with it, though; I'd like for it to be exactly the same Application Menu as what I use when I click on the panel's menu icon, but the right-click Application Launcher is a bit different:

Posted Image

It doesn't show the application names! I'd prefer to see "LibreOffice Calc" instead of "Spreadsheet," for example. Anyone know how to fix that?

#59 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:15 AM

Blimey all this huffin an puffin about features that have been around since time began. Window Maker has the tabbed windows and right click/keychain floating root menu.One day you all will realise what you are missing out on :Muahaha:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#60 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,027 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:38 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 04 November 2018 - 08:15 AM, said:

Blimey all this huffin an puffin about features that have been around since time began. Window Maker has the tabbed windows and right click/keychain floating root menu.One day you all will realise what you are missing out on :Muahaha:

Yeah, but they have not changed their interface since like 1998. ;) :hysterical:

#61 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:12 AM

haha!  touche!  WindowMaker eh?  Is that gtk2?  I'm wondering how "future proof" WM might be, but if it's survived 20 years with basically the same interface, I'd say it's resisted the future better than most (all?) DE that have come before it?!  :pirate:

#62 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,027 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:16 AM

View PostHedon James, on 04 November 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

haha!  touche!  WindowMaker eh?  Is that gtk2?  I'm wondering how "future proof" WM might be, but if it's survived 20 years with basically the same interface, I'd say it's resisted the future better than most (all?) DE that have come before it?!  :pirate:

No doubt!! :hysterical:

#63 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:50 AM

View PostHedon James, on 04 November 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

Not gtk2.

https://en.wikipedia...i/Window_Maker

Window Maker has a reputation for being fast, efficient and highly stable.[citation needed] Window Maker has been characterized as reproducing "the elegant look and feel of the NeXTstep GUI" and is noted as "easy to configure and easy to use."[4] A graphical tool called Wprefs is included and can be used to configure most aspects of the UI. The interface tends towards a minimalist, high performance environment directly supporting XPM, PNG, JPEG, TIFF, GIF and PPM icons with an alpha-channel and a right-click, sliding-scrolling application menu system which can throw off pinnable menus, along with window-icon miniaturization and other animations on multiple desktops. Menus and preferences can be changed without restarting. As with most window managers it supports themes and many are available. Owing to its NeXT inspiration, Window Maker has a dock like MacOS, but Window Maker's look and feel hews mostly to that of its NeXT forebear.
Architecture

Window Maker has window hints which allow seamless integration with the GNUstep, GNOME, KDE, Motif and OpenLook environments. Significantly it has almost complete ICCCM compliance and internationalization support for at least 11 locales. Window Maker uses the lightweight WINGs widget set which was built specifically for Window Maker as a way to skirt what its developers said would have been the "overkill" (or bloat) of using GNUstep.[5] WINGs is common to other applications including a login display manager called WINGs Display Manager (WDM) and many dockapps. Window Maker dock and clip applets are compatible with those from AfterStep's wharf.
History

Window Maker was written from scratch primarily by Brazilian programmer Alfredo Kojima as a window manager for the GNUstep desktop environment and originally meant as an improved take on the AfterStep window manager's design concept. The first release was in 1997.[6] For a time it was included as a standard window manager in several Linux distributions and is also available in the FreeBSD and OpenBSD ports collection.[7] Since the goal of the project has been to closely emulate the design of the defunct NeXTstep and OpenStep GUIs, further development has been light. In late 2007 the widely available, stable release version was at 0.92 from July 2005 with subsequent maintenance updates having been made to some distribution packages and ports.[8][9]
In late June 2008 a post on the project's website said active development would resume, noting, "...we are working very hard to revitalize Window Maker's presence on X Window (and perhaps beyond) desktops... We expect to once again provide the de-facto minimalist yet extremely functional window manager to the world."[10] On 29 January 2012, Window Maker 0.95.1 was released, making it the first official release in almost seven years. This was followed by a number of releases; As of October 2017 the latest release was 0.95.8, released on 11 March 2017.[11]
Name

The program's original name was WindowMaker (camelcased and without the space) but a naming conflict arose with an older product called Windowmaker from Windowmaker Software Ltd, a UK company producing software for companies that manufacture windows and doors. A 1998 agreement between the developers of Window Maker and Windowmaker Software specified that Window Maker (in the X sense) should never be used as a single word.

:breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#64 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:42 AM

Yeah, Window Maker is very nice. Folks might be put off by it at first, thinking it looks out-dated and all that, but as with several other window managers I've tried, as you spend time with it you might be surprised (like I was) to find yourself enjoying it more and more. I think I'm addicted to Openbox and Fluxbox, though, and for now I'm kinda settled in with those two.

View Postsecuritybreach, on 02 November 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

Man, I haven't played with Fluxbo (or openbox) in probably 10 years or more. Those were part of my journey to minimalism. I went from KDE 3.x to xfce to openbox to fluxbox to XMonad to i3. You get to a certain point where it has nothing to do with system resources but it is instead a mentality.

Wow, nice journey! And I agree, it does go beyond system resources!

#65 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:32 AM

Agreed x3 on the system resources comment.  I love Flux & Pek for the features that I want/need, all present natively in a single WM!  ...but the extremely low system resource usage is a very nice bonus!  How do you top that trifecta?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users