Up and running

chr1s

Ok, so I'm up and running now with a wireless network at home (Linux only PC's at the moment).The kit I went for was a Netgear Wireless (802.11g) router+ADSL Modem+DHCP Server+Firewall all-in-one piece of kit! It's a very nice piece of kit indeed! Very easy to set up and use - no problems at all.http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.a...4934&GroupID=62Then, since I have a few PC's all in the same room I opted for a Netgear Wireless Bridge. This allows you to connect ANY ethernet device (or devices if you plug it into a switch - although I haven't done this yet) to your wireless network without any drivers/ changing network cards etc. It worked like a dream!http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_detai...rodID=209&view=The ethernet bridge was under £50 so it's well worth it if you're going to connect two or more devices to it :) Infact the Netgear PCI wireless cards were £43 each so I've actually saved money this way! Even if I only needed to connect one device I'd concider buying one of these just because of the ease of use (no hardware to install, no drivers)....Chris.

Looks like a great setup Chris ! . . Glad things were so easy to set up . . . no wonder you're happy ;):) Bruno

Sounds like a good solution. I will have to remember this one when I am ready to add a wireless connection.....Julia

My son bought himself a Laptop PC with build wireless 'g' standard and the Microsoft Wireless router. It works great for sharing my broadband connection in either WinXP or Mandrake 10. But just after he bought it, Microsoft announced it is leaving the wireless router market :huh: .

My son bought himself a Laptop PC with build wireless 'g' standard and the Microsoft Wireless router.  It works great for sharing my broadband connection in either WinXP or Mandrake 10.  But just after he bought it, Microsoft announced it is leaving the wireless router market :huh: .
The card will still work with any standard 802.11b or 802.11g router.