Bodhi Linux releases 1.1.0

ChipDoc

As most of you know, I've been into Bodhi Linux since the 1.0.0 release in March. It's Enlightenment based and runs on the Ubuntu 10.4 LTS foundation. It's a minimal distro, which means that you set it up however you like rather than taking the default load-out of programs most distros offer. Because it's small, it's fast as lightning and very solid. Bodhi also has an active community working towards improving the overall experience.Well Bodhi 1.1.0 was released today. To be honest, I'm going to wait till I get to the lickety-split connection at work tomorrow night to download the thing, but I'm looking forward to seeing it. If you're fortunate enough to have unmetered internet, you can go HERE to check it out right now.It's a Live CD and the real beauty of it is that it seems to work on everything right from the CD without installation. It even picked up my Verizon AirCard, which is a pretty rare thing. It's got Linux Kernel 2.6.39, Enlightenment SVN Build from 05/23/11, the Intel 2.15 Drivers, and nVidia Driver 270.41 - all the basic stuff is nailed down tight and there is a Bodhi Software Repository where many common applications are set up in .BOD files specifically tailored to run with Bodhi. If a problem pops up, Jeff Hoogland (the creator) is right there on the forum ready to help; he's really dedicated to making this a good experience for everyone.It's a great combination - solid Ubuntu underpinnings, the beautiful and flexible Enlightenment DM, software tailored to run in this environment, and a friendly and enthusiastic community. If you're looking for something fresh to try, give Bodhi 1.1.0 a shot. :thumbsup:

I presume apt-get dist-upgrade will bring a 1.0.0 install up to date. I just installed it on my EeePC a couple of days ago in preparation for my upcoming trip to Vietnam. I dist-upgraded already and it pulled in quite a few things including a new enlightenment package.So far it's running very nicely and the install was hassle-free. :thumbsup: B)

I presume apt-get dist-upgrade will bring a 1.0.0 install up to date.
Yes it will, but...A slightly larger change is that the Ecomorph (Compiz) profile has been replaced with a "Compositing" profile. This profile uses E's built in compositing manager to render effects. E's compositing manager works with both hardware and software acceleration. This means it can provide sleek effects even on older hardware. For those that still prefer Ecomorph, you can always set it up yourself.I take this to mean that the update will leave Ecomorph in place. I'm going to run the LiveCD to see the difference between Ecomorph and the E compositor. I don't honestly know if this is a significant difference or not.Glad you're enjoying Bodhi! :thumbsup:

securitybreach

Is there a 64bit version available yet? I kind of have to run 64bit otherwise I will not even use a 5th of my ram. :thumbsup:

Is there a 64bit version available yet? I kind of have to run 64bit otherwise I will not even use a 5th of my ram. B)
Yeah Josh, it would only run at 3/4's the speed of light on your rig. Simply UNEXCEPTABLE!!!! :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: Just giving you a hard time.I have been saying I am going to install this on FrankenstIAN for quite some time now. I have all the room for other distros and all I have up and running is Arch and SlackwareDL now, and HOPEFULLY will be able to install in one of my many empty partitions tomorrow. Look forward to it. :)All the best and I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!!!!Ian

securitybreach
Yeah Josh, it would only run at 3/4's the speed of light on your rig. Simply UNEXCEPTABLE!!!! :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: Just giving you a hard time.All the best and I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!!!!Ian
B) Right!! Thanks and you too!!

Is there a 64bit version available yet? I kind of have to run 64bit otherwise I will not even use a 5th of my ram. :hysterical:
Though a 64-bit version is in the works, it's not ready for release yet. But you needn't worry that four fifths of your RAM will languish in disuse. You can nab THIS version of the 2.6.39-2 kernel which is specifically adapted to take advantages of machines with more than 4gigs of memory.Something tells me it'll work with any distro - not just Bodhi...

securitybreach
Though a 64-bit version is in the works, it's not ready for release yet. But you needn't worry that four fifths of your RAM will languish in disuse. You can nab THIS version of the 2.6.39-2 kernel which is specifically adapted to take advantages of machines with more than 4gigs of memory.Something tells me it'll work with any distro - not just Bodhi...
Kewl, thanks for the info :hysterical:

Is there a 64bit version available yet? I kind of have to run 64bit otherwise I will not even use a 5th of my ram. :rolleyes:
Install that PAE kernel chipdoc linked to and 32bit Bodhi will address up to 64gig of RAM ;)~Jeff

securitybreach
Install that PAE kernel chipdoc linked to and 32bit Bodhi will address up to 64gig of RAM :rolleyes:~Jeff
Thanks for the info!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have Bodhi installed and running in VirtualBox 4.08 as a Windows 7 guest. I haven't played around much with a minimilist distro so it's fun. To get the Guest Additions going I had to install build-essential and the proper linux headers for the kernel. After building the Guest Additions Bodhi behaves pretty well as a virtual system. I've found that the answers to most of my questions are out there either in the forum or the Wiki,I installed Light Office and Firefox 4 through the Bodhi software site and the browser based installer works just fine. Getting the Microsoft TTF package installed with the non-free codecs was a bit tricky but I eventually learned how to approve the licence "OK" (tab-enter) and then all went well.The window minimize, maximize, and kill controls all look the same in the particular desktop I have so it's a bit confusing until you figure out which one does what.

Edited by raymac46

Cluttermagnet

How ironic- I just installed my first ever Bodhi 1.0.0, went to Scot's Forums, and found this thread. Heh! Anyway, I'll play with this release a while but grab a copy of 1.1.0 right now. I think this is going to be fun... :thumbsdown: Oh, BTW the platform is a relatively modest P4 1.8GHz 400Mhz FSB 512M DDR 80G HD. It's an old Biostar M7TDF, as I remember.Midori is behaving slightly odd- some of the graphics for 'show all icons' in the Compose window are doing a sort of rapid flashy thing at the moment. I think I'll throw FF on here for starters.

I have an old whitebox tower system that belonged to my late parents - hated to dispose of it for sentimental reasons. It dates to around 2003 I think.It's got an ASUS A7V400-MX mobo with an Athlon XP 2100+ processor. I upgraded the memory to 2 GB and installed an Nvidia 6200 AGP card.Based on my good virtual experience, I decided to install Bodhi Linux on it to replace the current Mandriva Gnome system. It flies! I've installed the Nvidia proprietary driver and that seems to work very well with a Philips 17 inch CRT monitor.I've gone with Chromium as my browser, installed the Ubuntu non-free codecs, Light Office (Gnumeric and Abiword), Banshee and Sound Juicer. Edited by raymac46

Midori is behaving slightly odd- some of the graphics for 'show all icons' in the Compose window are doing a sort of rapid flashy thing at the moment. I think I'll throw FF on here for starters.
I was getting the flashy thing when I first upgraded to 1.1.0 - it turns out there's some conflict between my hardware and kernels 2.6.38 and newer. I went back to the 2.6.35 kernel and upgraded it over the net. In Bodhi, upgrading the kernel is a separate operation and you can upgrade from 1.0.0 to 1.1.0 without a kernel upgrade.

As usual for me, what works for everyone else simply gives me problems. My experiment trying to get Bodhi to work is over. I won't spend the time downloading and creating a bootable USB stick.Version 1, I had no wireless connection.Version 1.1.0 looked promising. I saw the screen with the leaves then my screen blacked out and that was it. I tried it twice and staring at a black screen is frustrating.Since I do have other distros on USB sticks, I'll use one of them to surf.

Wireless worked on the ASUS/AMD whitebox desktop because I have a Linux-friendly Atheros PCI card installed. I did have to disable the stupid keyring password so that it would connect automatically on boot.As far as X goes I could probably have stuck with the FOSS Nvidia driver but the proprietary one gives a few more options to set the display. Fortunately my GeForce 6200 card is still supported by the latest driver and kernel. Anything older would not be.

Getting the Microsoft TTF package installed with the non-free codecs was a bit tricky but I eventually learned how to approve the licence "OK" (tab-enter) and then all went well.
Yes, I have seen that with Java, but I have never run into it just downloading the TTF package alone; no codecs involved. I think it would be helpful if they would explain that on their software site; I originally found out about this here when I got into trouble with Java, but I was just sitting there wondering why the bar stopped moving, and then I clicked on the activity display deal, and there was the screen with the "OK" waiting for me and it dawned on me what was wrong.
As usual for me, what works for everyone else simply gives me problems. My experiment trying to get Bodhi to work is over. I won't spend the time downloading and creating a bootable USB stick.Version 1, I had no wireless connection.Version 1.1.0 looked promising. I saw the screen with the leaves then my screen blacked out and that was it. I tried it twice and staring at a black screen is frustrating.Since I do have other distros on USB sticks, I'll use one of them to surf.
Well I nearly went nuts trying to figure out how to make the desktop work and the only reason I persevered was the old laptop I wanted to use something on, worked well wi-fi wise (and I am glad it was suggested in my thread about "what distro"), and the laptop has such a minimal memory and CPU that nothing else seemed to run or install properly on it since the several year old PCLinuxOS had become obsolete and was no longer supported. And Bodhi at least is light weight enough to work well for me in that respect. One odd thing I notice is that it takes significantly longer to shut down than most "heavier" distros seem to require; however, that again may be due to the minimal computer I have it installed on.Bill Edited by BillD

One odd thing I notice is that it takes significantly longer to shut down than most "heavier" distros seem to require; however, that again may be due to the minimal computer I have it installed on.
I'm not sure if this is the problem you're experiencing, but if you've got something sitting in the tray, shutdown goes a lot quicker if you manually close those active programs before beginning the shutdown. For instance, if I've been running Rhythmbox, I click on the tray and close it, then I do the shutdown. If I forget, the machine simply waits for Rhythmbox and eventually asks me if I want to close it.

Are you running the 2.6.39 kernel? I'm running some pretty old hardware and had video problems when I upgraded to the 2.6.38 kernel. They were resolved when I dropped back to 2.6.35 (which is what shipped with Bodhi 1.0.0). When I loaded the Bodhi 1.1.0 LiveCD, I saw the same problems with the 2.6.39 kernel, so I didn't install from there, but instead upgraded through

sudo apt-get update & & apt-get upgrade

Since this doesn't upgrade the kernel, I am now running 1.1.0 under 2.6.35 and it runs like a champ. You might consider trying the older kernel, which can be found HERE. Even with my older hardware, I'm not experiencing most of the problems folks are griping about over in the Bodhi Forum.

I couldn't get Bodhi to install into several partitions. I tried installing to just a large / partition and it works fine.Go figure

• 2 weeks later...

I have Bodhi on a USB stick made by UNetbootin. It worked just fine on my netbook but gave me all kinds of errors on my normally Linux friendly Athlon X2 4600+ desktop. This desktop has an ASUS M2A-VM motherboard. An upgrade to the latest BIOS solved the problem.

Edited by raymac46

Chip--->>>Maybe THIS IS the ENLIGHTENMENT I need for those nVidia deskies - to replace my SEEMINGLY never ending search for the PERFECT distro for ALL machines.Even though it is a "minimalist" distro that does not sit well - ( without Open/Libre office ) in the install :hmm: --->>> " AS it has JUST finished DOWNLOADING " so will burn try out and see WHICH " DESKIE " needs this Cheers for YearsColin :hysterical: EH???

Edited by kamicota

Sounds like something I'll want to try when a 64-bit version comes out. I run boinc, so I need to run 64-bit for maximum computation performance.

OOPS!!!--->>> :"> :"> :"> :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: have just been shown --->>> Bodhi is NOW - going to replace PCLinux Spring Fairy on the AMD Dual even while Mageia is being installed on the AMD Quad Intel Thanks CHIP :) :w00t: :hug: EH!!! :rolleyes: WHAT a WAY to LIVE LifeCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota

Sounds like something I'll want to try when a 64-bit version comes out. I run boinc, so I need to run 64-bit for maximum computation performance.
Rather than waiting for the 64-bit version to come out, you might consider installing Bodhi with the 2.6.39-2 PAE kernel - specifically designed to recognize memory spaces over that 4 gig limit. I believe it's WAY over the 4 gig limit, but can't find a quick reference to confirm it. At any rate, HERE is the link.

Rather than waiting for the 64-bit version to come out, you might consider installing Bodhi with the 2.6.39-2 PAE kernel - specifically designed to recognize memory spaces over that 4 gig limit. I believe it's WAY over the 4 gig limit, but can't find a quick reference to confirm it. At any rate, HERE is the link.
It's really not a question of memory. It's more a matter of efficiency and 64-bit calculations. Some boinc projects don't even offer 32-bit apps. On some apps. 64 vs. 32 bit has no impact on the speed of the calculation, but others, such as a Primegrid sieve, benefit greatly from running 64-bit. Any machine I've got that's capable of 64-bit is running 64-bit.I'll wait.