Why I want to Use Linux

mhbell

Why I want to switch to Linux First of all I respect everyone’s Opinion in this forum and ask that you accord me the same respect that I accord you. For me this is not a Windows Versus Linux I want to switch to Linux because of Microsofts Monopoly on the Software Market. Their Heavy Handed ways, And Such things as Phone home and the control they are trying to gain over ones computer. There spyware and their trying to take control of the Internet. WPA (Windows Product Activation) I have had bad experience with WPA and have had to call MS for clients to get them to re-activate Windows XP Home I run Win XP Pro and Win2K. My reasons for wanting to run Linux. Is not for the reasons below. CHOICE Not for me I have 10’s of thousands of Choices. Lots of 3rd party programs to make windows do what I want it to do. I know that most Linux fans don’t consider that choice, But I do I don’t have to be a programmer or Linux Guru to Make it work. CRASHES No way. I have had One that’s (1) crash since WIN XP Pro came out. (and I recovered from that one with system restore). Sure there are times when you may not be able to recover But lets face it The General Public (Desktop User) has the same problems with Linux. Besides that is what Backups are for.STABILITY IMHO Windows XP Pro and Win2K have every bit as good a Stability as any version (Distro) of Linux I have tested or installed. Win XP is probably the best Windows MS ever came out with.SECURITY Nope no problems for me there. I use a Hardware Firwall and Router Hub. I use a software Firewall (Zone Alarm Pro) I use other 3rd party software for script and spyware detection and I use a good up to date Virus scanner. I download security updates that apply to My OS. I don’t use MS OE or IE I use (Mozilla Firebird) for my Browser and (Courier) for my E-mail ClientNETWORKING I can set up a simple Home / Office network in Windows Very simple very easy. Windows Recognizes that I have a External Modem for Dialup and an ethernet card for a Lan and does not try to force me to use the Lan card to access the internet. Like MDK 9.0 did. See My previous post about that one.EASE of INSTALLATION Linux is getting better But much needs to be done. XP recognized most of my hardware EXCEPT my VIDEO CARD. No problem (Are you Listening Linux programmers)? Install continued and installed a VGA driver it let me boot up to the GUI where I popped in the video driver disk and installed the drivers. Reboot and I was done. No XF86Config file to try and figure out to get it to work. Or to load drivers. No command Line, I am sure you get my point.No I have not given up on Linux. Maybe in a few years they will get it right for the general desktop user. If not then it will remain just another power users or geeks OS, or something to fool around and experiment with. I have played off and on with it for several years now and have spent more money on Linux for software and Books than I ever did for windows and still no Distro that I can make do what I want.Mel :D

You explained yourself quite well. It does seem kind of strange to see all that in this forum. I must admit my primary reason for learning Linux was becasue it was there. I figure I need to keep on top of what is happening. I have equal problems with Windows and Linux. I can't do much of anything in Windows on hubby's computer after a new install of XP. Don't know what it locks up and won't let me do some things. The Linux works great however. Yet when I tried live CDs on an old comptuer at school I was locked out of most programs do to lack of memory.The main thing is that we all have the option of choosing which software we wish to install and run. That is the good part. I feel comfortable in Linux, Windows, or Mac. It is just that each looks a little different and works a little different. I don't think Linux is quite ready for everyone. I don't think in ten years that will be the case. Glad you felt like you could post this here. We must be doing something right. :D

I must admit my primary reason for learning Linux was becasue it was there. I figure I need to keep on top of what is happening.
I'm the same way. I love to try whats out there. I love Windows XP and am very happy with it. I also love OS X.It sounds to me like you want a distro that just works. So far, out of what i've tried, Mandrake seems to be the best for the destop, in terms of running well without knowing a lot about linux. But, i have also heard that SUSE is very good for the desktop.I will agree. Linux is not there yet, at least not for the desktop user. Not to say that linux isn't great, but i think it does need more time. I hope you have good luck with linux, or whatever you may choose :D

Hi Mel,A very well written and accurate post...you have my utmost respect, for your beliefs. I, also, enjoyed WinXP (but not what was imbedded in it); it is the best I've ever tried from MS...in all respects. Now for "stability":

STABILITY IMHO Windows XP Pro and Win2K have every bit as good a Stability as any version (Distro) of Linux I have tested or installed.
Just one question - have you tried the Linux distro: Slackware 9.0? It will prove far more stable than WinXP (if installed properly); I cannot speak about Win2K, since I've never tried it. Then again, this is from my experience, and I hope for the same affordation of respect. :D

Good post.Actualy your post made me go and find comparison between Microsoft EULA and GNU GPL.I posted it here ComparisonFor me, I am semi-geek user, therefore I "have to" try everything out there.I've been through many many installs and reinstalls of different distros, OS's and applications, out of pure curiosity.It took me a while to get into Linux properly and now it is my favorite OS.At work I have all Macs with systems from 7.5 to Jaguar, at home several PC's that used to be Windows only, than dual boot and now only my main PC has dual boot with XP, all the others are Linux only.My wife is hairstylist, therefore not a techy person at all.She has problems setting VCR or taking pictures with digital camera or Mini DV camcorder, and when I switched her to Mandrake and Firebird she didn't complained, I don't think she noticed either <_< That is the reason I say Linux is ready for the masses.Most of the people need only browser and mail, eventually some easy game like solitaire and such.If you get Linux preinstalled on PC, most of the users would use what is there without problems.No problems there unless you go into maintenance mode and try to configure/reconfigure something.Having several PC's at my home I have to think about money too.I can buy/download 1 distro and legaly install it on all my PC's.I can't do that with XP, not legaly anyway.With Linux GPL (General Public License) is giving me right to do whatever I want with that software which is fantastic.By the way XP is probably the best OS from Microsoft to date and it showed very stable on my PC, but not as stable as Linux.I have dual boot with Mandrake 9.1 and Mandrake just rocks.I has yet to crash (Mandrake), while XP does occasional crash, especially if I abuse it more and say play game which is not case under Linux.

Hi MelVery well spoken Sir...For me..it's just because I can (rather fancy myself a a Quasi-Geek..and Penguin in Training with large training wheels). I don't have a bone to pick w/ MS about their software...business methods are a different story..but even some of that I understand. I run mostly Linux, different distros..( SuSE 8.2 Pro on main Box..but also Redhat, Mandrake DSL,Knoppix..even tubrolinux and dual (multi)boot..and running everthing from Win98/Me, WinXP Home and Pro..W2k and W3Server..all at home ( I have to make suggestions to clients..I figured it is better to have firsthand knowledge rather than say "wait, I'll find out" ( gotta talk the wife into a MAC..hee hee)I haven't had a problem with any of them...But for me linux is different..I like the fact it takes more work and a different approach, because I play in the command line with Windows too (or DOS Prompt with 98/ME)Is Linux there yet? ..in many ways yes.(depending on the user).in others not (also depending on the user)..and then in all cases depending on system configuration (but I also find the same issues with windows..but not as frequently)My crystal ball thinks linux is now a viable contenter, mostly at the enterprise level..and my thoughts are within 2 years will be a perfectly acceptable option to Windows especially when some companies are really starting to focus on the desktop( I think MS knows this too..)I think much of this(development issues) has to do with direction of OS birth...MS (IMO) orginated from the desktop target and moved to server , with linux came from server to desktop..We saw MS suffer huge growing pains in the server area and (again IMO) I think linux is doing the same in the desktop, but both are growing in these areas...

That is the reason I say Linux is ready for the masses.Most of the people need only browser and mail, eventually some easy game like solitaire and such.
Zox has a good point. For most folks surfing, email and few games would work for them. Linux can handle this.But what Mel is talking about is getting Networks - Dialups to work with Windows. I thought we had solved this problem by using ICS. Then after I rebooted MD 9.1 nothing worked. <_< Yesterday I tried NVidia drivers for Lycoris - wouldn't boot into X. Tried to reconfigure the display - nothing. I had this same thing happen when using updated NVidia drivers for SuSE 8.2. :ph34r: But I still like Linux and believe it will someday offer a truely viable alternative to Windows. :angry:

My crystal ball thinks linux is now a viable contenter, mostly at the enterprise level..and my thoughts are within 2 years will be a perfectly acceptable option to Windows especially when some companies are really starting to focus on the desktop( I think MS knows this too..)
I totally agree. It will be so interesting to see where linux wil be in 2 years. But, i want to learn it now to get a good head start <_< I also love to try everything, and need to keep up with what is happening in the tech world. :ph34r:

But, i want to learn it now to get a good head start :) I also love to try everything, and need to keep up with what is happening in the tech world. :)
SonicDragonCouldn't agree more. ;)

Hi Mel,A very well written and accurate post...you have my utmost respect, for your beliefs. I, also, enjoyed WinXP (but not what was imbedded in it); it is the best I've ever tried from MS...in all respects. Now for "stability":
STABILITY IMHO Windows XP Pro and Win2K have every bit as good a Stability as any version (Distro) of Linux I have tested or installed.
Just one question - have you tried the Linux distro: Slackware 9.0? It will prove far more stable than WinXP (if installed properly); I cannot speak about Win2K, since I've never tried it. Then again, this is from my experience, and I hope for the same affordation of respect. :)
Hi QuintYes I have tried Slack 9.0 and about 20 to 30 other Linux distros. As a PC Consultant and Tech I have to pretty much try them all because of my clients. I am also tech adviser for a 100 plus computer group and president of another one. I also put out a news letter to my Clients and members of the computer groups. I have formed a Linux users group (Lug) although not sanctioned. Just an informal group that gets together about 9 months out of the year when I am in Arizona. I spend the hot summer months in Nevada at my summer home about 2 to 3 months of the year.As for stability Most except beta's were very stable, But none were any more stable than the XP Pro that I run on my Arizona and Nevada Machines. I have found that XP Home is less stable than XP Pro. Most of the time when A Client has stability problems running XP I find that it is Faulty Memory or not enough. Heat is another problem that crops up alot. insufficient cooling. and then there are the tinkerer's me included can't keep my fingers out of things got to figit this or twist that or change something to see what it will do. ;) and then there is the client or person who has a 10 year old computer with 32 megs of ram and a 2 Gb HD and a pentium 166 cpu who thinks he can run XP on his computer. :lol: here are the spec's on my main machine in Nevada. Not the latest or greatest but it runs anything I care to run. ;) IWILL KK266-Raid MB512 Mb Crucial 133 SDRam AMD Athlon Tbird 1.4 Ghz CPUraid (not being used at the time)IDE-0 Primary Removable hard drive rack and carrier Hot Swapable w/Maxtor40 GB Ultra ATA 133 7200 RPM hard drive I have extra carriers and hard drives that I swap out to test various software and OS But that one is Duel Boot with XP Pro and whatever flavor of Linux I am running at the time.IDE-0 Secondary another rack and Carrier with a Internal Zip 100 Drive which I swap out with a hard drive now and then or to clone a drive for backup.IDE-1 primary Memorex 48x cd driveIDE-1 Secondary HP CD Writer 9500 seriesRealtek 8139A 10/100 ethernet cardZoom External Serial port ModemD-Link 704P Router HubVastech 4 port KVM SwitchCannon BJC2100 USB Printer and a HP deskjet 722C Parallel port printerGeneric S-3 Savage 4 32 Mb agp vid card.BTW my Win XP is highly Modified (hacked) all of the spyware and imbedded Junk removed that I could remove.Mel :D

Hi Mel,Thanks for a most informative and well-presented explanation; your credentials alone, are light-years ahead of me. ;) Your system specs look terrific to me (who uses a "generic home-built" computer [by me]), and to all those OS's, also. I am but a novice, who is fascinated by computers in general, and by Linux (all "flavors"). :)In your post, you make reference to:

IDE-0 Primary Removable hard drive rack and carrier Hot Swapable...
What I'd like to know - because this interests me very much - do you make each one the "master" or "cable-select"? :lol: I have filled up two hdd's with distro's, one of my "keeper's", and the other including WinXP and my "back-ups". Your setup intrigues me, for it would save me some time in not having to open the case, strain my eyes, etc. Since your post, I have been researching this, and I think I will take this route. Thank you very much, indeed. ;)

Hi Again Quint.All Hard drives are configured as (cable select) The cables are 40 pin with 80 wires 40 are for ground for ATA 66 thru ATA 133 a normal IDE cable only has 40 wires. ata 33 drives work ok too with this setup. I use the latest version of (norton ghost) to either clone the hard drive or Just backup my Win XP partition. I use Power quests (Boot Magic) for my boot manager I never let Lilo or Grub touch the MBR I have installed as many as 5 different OS's on one hard drive. Without problems. IF you need more info such as where to get HD racks and carriers. let me know and I will give you the URL for ordering as low as $6.95 for rack and carrier includeds keys to lock in place these fit in a 5 1/4th inch bay.Mel :lol:

Mel,That would be great, if you could post the URL...the best price I've found so far - /w fan - is $16.95; was about to order, but read your post, and now I'd like to check that one first...thanks very much! ;) I definitely see this as a good thing for me, and won't have to hear the "missus'" keep asking what I'm doing in there! :lol:

BTW my Win XP is highly Modified (hacked) all of the spyware and imbedded Junk removed that I could remove.
I know what you mean. I use XP on my main box, which is also highly modified. I'm almost lost when i look at a fresh version of XP ;)And i also have very little stability problems in XP. I'm not running a server, or need it to be up 24/7 or anything like that. It's perfectly fine for anything i do.

Mel,That would be great, if you could post the URL...the best price I've found so far - /w fan - is $16.95; was about to order, but read your post, and now I'd like to check that one first...thanks very much! ;) I definitely see this as a good thing for me, and won't have to hear the "missus'" keep asking what I'm doing in there! :lol:
Here you go Quint.Take Your Data With You!!! Yes! You can take your ATA/133 - ATA/66 IDE Hard Drive Drive with you ANYWHERE with this removable ATA/133 - ATA/66 Enclosure. It includes the removable tray and the tray enclosure (which fits in a standard 5 Drive Bay)!!! This enclosure fits any standard 3.5'' ATA/133 - ATA/66 Drive (just set your BIOS to Auto Detect to migrate hard drives easily and quickly!!)!! This version also includes a cooling fan, and a removable face plate so that you can easily fit hard drives, ZIP Drives, etc.!Removable ATA/66-133 Enclosure w/Lock/Fan/LED-Rem Face Plate Only $6.90http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GN210

That is the reason I say Linux is ready for the masses.Most of the people need only browser and mail, eventually some easy game like solitaire and such.
Zox has a good point. For most folks surfing, email and few games would work for them. Linux can handle this.But what Mel is talking about is getting Networks - Dialups to work with Windows. I thought we had solved this problem by using ICS. Then after I rebooted MD 9.1 nothing worked. :rolleyes: Yesterday I tried NVidia drivers for Lycoris - wouldn't boot into X. Tried to reconfigure the display - nothing. I had this same thing happen when using updated NVidia drivers for SuSE 8.2. :angry: But I still like Linux and believe it will someday offer a truely viable alternative to Windows. ;)
Rons,Just a note here: I *think* SuSe requires a recompile of the Kernal in order to use NVidia drivers. I remember reading iot somewhere a while back. It was the main reason I stuck with Mandrake.Chris :)

CHOICE:You can do a lot of customisation in Windows with third party apps, this is true. In Linux though, you don;t often need a third party app - or command-line editing. Configuring the user interface in Linux (I use KDE3.1 on Mandrake 9.1) is a lot easier if you want a custom look. I used to run LiteStep/ Object Desktop under Windows to have a customised shell, but now I don't need to :)CRASHES/ STABILITY:XP and 2K are pretty stable. I have no complaints there. I've never left my Linux PC on for much over a day though so I'd be interested in the difference in uptime between XP/2k and Linux. Another important point here is that you don't need to reboot when you install Linux software/ patches.SECURITY:I too am behing firewalls and the like. Ideally, nothing would ever get into your network, in which case it wouldn't matter if you were running an un-patched Windows 95. Linux's strength in security comes from if something does get to your PC.NETWORKING:I can set up a simple home/office network in Linux as easilty as I can in Windows (see my reply to your post about Linux/ Windows networking). I don't dial in from my Linux PC though - I'm plugged into a LAN with a DHCP server.EASE of INSTALLATION:Hmmm. I'm not with you on that one. Linux doesn't have quite the wide range of hardware support as Windows, but a lot of this is down to the vendors. I bought a new hard drive this weekend and so decided to reinstall Mandrake 9.1. I didn't have to configure any of my hardware after the install/ install any main software packages (as they're installed along with the OS)/ activate my OS/ mess around with any config files. As long as your hardware is supported, Linux (from the experience of Mandrake 9.1) is a lot easier and a heck of a lot faster to install than Windows.Many thing do still need work, but it's work that's being done. I think once software installation and (my major gripe) driver installation, is sorted, Linux will be an amazing Desktop OS (it's already amazing in this geeks view :rolleyes:)Chris :angry:

• 4 years later...
V.T. Eric Layton

Hiya, Mel...I was just thumbing through your blog a moment ago and found this entry:

WPA (Windows Product Activation), Their DRM (Digital Rights Management). Their WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) and Windows Update, I have had bad experience’s with all of them and have had to call MS for clients to get them to Re-activate Windows after a reinstall or replacing a defective component.
Note, DRM (Digital Rights Management) is NOT a Microsoft creation. It's a statute passed by the U.S. Congress, making it the LAW of the land. Microsoft and other manufacturers probably detest it as much as everyday folks like you and me. In my job (tech support for a LARGE, world-wide consumer electronics manufacturer), we are constantly having to explain DRM to customers who want to know why their MP3 player won't play DRM music or why their new DVDR won't record proprietary programming. It's the law in the U.S. only. It doesn't apply to Europe or other places in the world.Anyway, great blog! Just wanted to let you know the sitch with DRM. :)Later...