New 400G SATA Drive

Grogerf

Hallo Folks :D Back again after doing lots of family stuff with little (almost walking) & not so little people :w00t: :D I've now got new a 400G SATA hard drive physically installed in the machine :clap: I'm new to SATA drives and apart from the connectors being really easy to put on :thumbsup: and being 'limited' to 16 partitions don't know much else about them :( The new drive shows up as sda with 372 G, 48640 cylinders and empty (unformatted) in the MCC 'Manage disk partitions' :thumbsup: . I've downloaded the 64 bit version of mdv 2008.1 and burned the dvd (first checking the md5) :thumbsup: .The plan is to partition the new drive and use it to install mdv 2008.1 as a fresh installation, and then move over personal stuff (addresses, emails, bookmarks etc) from the existing mdv 2008 installation - (I use Kontact). Finally after the new installation is working properly, get stuff like conky working.When that's all done and dusted I plan to move the existing 160G IDE drive to machine #2 and do a similar procedure on machine #2.Now I've got a "clean slate" at last how should I go about partitioning such a huge drive :hmm: :huh: and installing Spring so that I avoid boxing myself into corners?Looking forward to keeping out of trouble this time :thumbsup: :w00t: GrogerfEditOOps that should bee 400G, not 440G in the title!

Edited by Grogerf

Guest LilBambi

Title Fixed to 400 instead of 440. :thumbsup:Is the 160GB drive (that you ultimately plan on removing) your current grub boot drive?

I did the same myself with a 320GB drive. I suggest about 10Gb for / (root partition), 1Gb for swap is plenty, and the rest for /home.edit- actually 320Gb, not 32

Edited by sunrat

Hi GrogerIf you plan having only the SATA drive in that computer, make sure you install the 2008.1-Spring bootloader in it's MBR . . . else you will not be able to boot after you remove the IDE.Even better it is to use the 2008 install on the IDE to make partitions on the SATA, then copy the complete /home directory to a partition on the SATA ( check ownership and permissions on the new drive after the copy ), next remove the IDE drive and only after that start the install of 2008.1-Spring . . . during the install of 2008.1-Spring you choose "existing partitions" and on the screen where it asks what partitions to format you only format the / partition ( not the /home partition ) . . . . . . that way you can not go wrong.:) BrunoPS: "cp -a" will copy files preserving ownership and permissions :o

Title Fixed to 400 instead of 440. :thumbsup:Is the 160GB drive (that you ultimately plan on removing) your current grub boot drive?
Hallo LilBambi :) Thanks for fixing up the title :o :) Yes the 160G drive is the one with the bootloader - I could see there would be problems if I just 'did the usual thing' :) Thanks for your help :o Grogerf
I did the same myself with a 32GB drive. I suggest about 10Gb for / (root partition), 1Gb for swap is plenty, and the rest for /home.
Hallo sunrat :D Thanks for your suggestions on the partitioning - soo much space creates it's own problems :o Grogerf

Hi GrogerIf you plan having only the SATA drive in that computer, make sure you install the 2008.1-Spring bootloader in it's MBR . . . else you will not be able to boot after you remove the IDE.Even better it is to use the 2008 install on the IDE to make partitions on the SATA, then copy the complete /home directory to a partition on the SATA ( check ownership and permissions on the new drive after the copy ), next remove the IDE drive and only after that start the install of 2008.1-Spring . . . during the install of 2008.1-Spring you choose "existing partitions" and on the screen where it asks what partitions to format you only format the / partition ( not the /home partition ) . . . . . . that way you can not go wrong.:) BrunoPS: "cp -a" will copy files preserving ownership and permissions :D
Hallo Bruno :o Thanks for your reply :o I had thought that it would be sensible to use the existing installation to partition the new drive :) I guess it would make sense to use the partition scheme you suggested last time here http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...20148&st=0#, at post #16and just break down the 'spare' space into usable chunks until I come up with 16 partitions :) I had wanted to use a "fresh" /home to avoid the problems I've had with image magic, printing from Firefox to the HP printer & one or two other minor things - I think that these problems are probably due to my mucking things up in the past and they seem to follow with the /home partition. Is it possible to do the install of Mandriva 2008.1 Spring only on the sata drive (i.e remove the power cable form the ide drive). Then restore the power cable to the ide drive and copy over the bits I need from the old /home?One problem I see doing this is I'd have two bootloaders whic would be bound to create chaos :o Another is finding where Kontact keeps all the address, emails etc :( Grogerf

Hi GrogerI would just make 3 partitions, keep it simple: a / partition ( 10 to 15 GB ) a /home partition ( 20 to ?? GB )a /swap partition ( 1 to 4 GB )

Is it possible to do the install of Mandriva 2008.1 Spring only on the sata drive (i.e remove the power cable form the ide drive). Then restore the power cable to the ide drive and copy over the bits I need from the old /home?
Good plan . . . go for it !:o Bruno

Hi GrogerI would just make 3 partitions, keep it simple: a / partition ( 10 to 15 GB ) a /home partition ( 20 to ?? GB )a /swap partition ( 1 to 4 GB ) Good plan . . . go for it !B) Bruno
Hallo again Bruno :D ,Thanks for your reply :whistling: I'll follow that plan o:) Two little questions:-1. Do I have to remove/disable the boot-loader from the 160G IDE drive, so that when both drives have the power connected (for file copying) and I re-boot there isn't a "boot-loader" clash? 2. If the IDE boot-loader has to be disabled how do I disable it?Looking forward to getting this one done B) Grogerf

1. Do I have to remove/disable the boot-loader from the 160G IDE drive, so that when both drives have the power connected (for file copying) and I re-boot there isn't a "boot-loader" clash?
No . . just set the BIOS to bot from the SATA drive . . . OR for as long as the IDE drive is in the box adapt the 2008 bootloader to also boot 2008.1 ;):whistling: Bruno