Downloading Zenwalk

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I downloaded it in just 15 minutes from a very fast French server! It's checked and burned. :)I think I'll be plowing Mandriva 2007 under and planting this in its place. The distro farming continues... :w00t:

Consistencies in life are so reassuring...the sun coming up every day,a cup of hot coffee waiting on my desk first thing in the morning,the smell of freshly cut hay every spring...And knowing ATL's residence GP is still around. :w00t:

sued - nice avatar!urmas - as always, :w00t: @ your pix!eric - cool! let us know ;)
I have a slight feeling he will like it very much. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

Zenwalk is in; Mandriva is toast. :)I'm just trying to get used to how XFCE does things. I pretty much have everything on the desktop set up how I want. I'll finish with the rest of the set up later. I'm back in Slack now.

V.T. Eric Layton

Interesting!When I installed Zenwalk on my system, due to the 15 partition limit in the libATA drivers, it could not "see" the partition (hda16) that I assigned it for /home. As a result, /home is on hda15 along with the rest of the /(root) file system. My original hda16 /home was Mandriva. It's still there.Is there a way to reformat and reassign /home to that hda16 partition within Zen? If not, I may have to reinstall Zen on the partitions where I put Vector (hda9, 10) and reinstall Vector on the higher numbered partitions (hda15,16). Of course, I'll have to recompile my Zen kernel again. That's no big deal, I guess.Any suggestions, anyone?Also, I doubt that Zen is using my swap partition either (hda17). I wonder what it's using for swap? :thumbsup:

Yep since with your new compiled kernel you have now hda and not sda you can use the hda16 and up in Zenwalk: First format that hda16 and next just adapt the /etc/fstab . . and make a line for the swap too . . . reboot, log in as root, check if the /home is populated with your username folder . . . if not delete the user and recreate the user again.:thumbsup: Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton
Yep since with your new compiled kernel you have now hda and not sda you can use the hda16 and up in Zenwalk: First format that hda16 and next just adapt the /etc/fstab . . and make a line for the swap too . . . reboot, log in as root, check if the /home is populated with your username folder . . . if not delete the user and recreate the user again.:thumbsup: Bruno
I'll give that a try right now, Bruno. I'm in Slack at the moment, but I'll reboot into Zen now...

V.T. Eric Layton

That worked, Bruno! I now have my /home directory and /swap on the proper partitions. I just finished copying my private data to the new /home partition. Of course, I'll have to re-set up the desktop and preferences in Zen, but that's OK. It's a usable distribution now.Thanks! B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Virtual Box, huh? *sniff* What a shame... even the gurus are going "virtual" these days. Whatever happened to "hands on", "tinker under the hood", etc. ;)Speaking of more tinkering...I need to run the Nvidia compiler script on Zen. I don't have any headers for my new custom kernel. B) Can I d-load and install the kernel headers for the Slackware 2.6.17.11 kernel? Will they work? If not, where can I get headers for my kernel? :(

LOL . . . sure with going virtual you can visit/answer the forum and install a distro at the same time :DAnyway for the kernel: just install the ( complete ) kernelsource: Installing the kernel source ( a link is in the Tip B) ) And after that you will have all you need in /usr/srcB) Bruno

Well yes . . that is what I thought . . . but I wondered maybe you had thrown it out after the compile . . . . so the idea was "once he sees this he will notice he already has it, or has deleted it" . . LOLYep the "linux"directory in /usr/src should symlink to the "linux-<version>"B) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

It's 4AM, Bruno. I just got home from an evening of playing poker with friends (I won $47.00 B) ). I'm in Slack right now, but I think I'll boot to Zen in a few minutes and see what I can do about fixing this.Thanks! :(

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I ended up trying to get this fixed before going to bed after all. However, using the method in your TIPS, didn't solve the problem. When I run the Nvidia compiler script, I get this error:

ERROR:The kernel header file '/lib/modules/2.6.17.11/build/include/linux/version.h' does not exist. The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source files in '/lib/modules/2.6.17.11/build' have not been configured.
What now? B)

. The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source files in '/lib/modules/2.6.17.11/build' have not been configured.
That is a confusing message because the source files are in /usr/src :'(Just for fun, can you have a look what is in /lib/modules/2.6.17.11/build/include/linux ?If version.h is not there, when compiling your kernel did you at the end do the commands:
# make modules# make modules_install

( after the "# make dep" and the "# make bzImage" )Also have a look in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ the place where the version.h should be ( and where the nvidia installer should look for it B) ):( Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

No. Version.h is not present in that directory. I had already checked for that last night. As far and making the modules while compiling the kernel, I did "# make && make modules_install". I did it THIS way. Maybe I did something out of the proper order?

And did you have a look in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ for the version.h ?Is the /lib/modules/2.6.17.11/build/include/linux totally empty ?? ( if so maybe symlink it to /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ )

I did it THIS way. Maybe I did something out of the proper order?
Looks okay to me . . . . There is a nutshell here There is an elaborate howto here: http://www.bitbenderforums.com/vb22/showth...;threadid=58650 ( Look for the "Appendix B (Building a 2.6 Kernel)" part !! )B) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

WOW! Very good tutorials! :)I'm going to d-load and compile (in Zen) the same kernel that I'm currently using in Slackware... 2.6.17.13.I'm off to go play now... B)

If you are lazy like me . . . . You can also get ready made packages here at VectorLinux:ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/vec...nux-5.8/kernelsI just installed the:kernel-2.6.19.2-i586-2vl58.tlzkernel-modules-2.6.19.2-i586-2vl58.tlzkernel-src-2.6.19.2-i586-2vl58.tlzwith a simple "installpkg" [*] and adapted Lilo after that before booting the new kernel :DThese kernels also fit on Slackware so it would surprise me if it would not on Zen . . B) Bruno[*] .tlz packages behave the same as .tgz

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmmmm... well, I have been known to have lazy tendencies. B) This may be a method that would be the simplest for getting Zen to behave properly. However, compiling the kernel myself is a learning experience, so I may do that first and see if I can make it work.Thanks, Bruno. :)I'll keep you posted on progress...

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm compiling the 2.6.17.13 kernel right now, but I cheated just a bit... I copied the .config file from Slackware and pasted it into /usr/Linux, then I started compiling. This theoretically saves me a step in the process because I don't have to do a config on the kernel. The configuration of this same kernel in Slackware works fine. We'll see how it goes...

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, after a couple bumps in the road, it looks like I'm up and running with my new kernel --> 2.6.17.13-custom_eric01. :)I was also able to compile and Nvidia module on this kernel, so my video is OK now, too... frame rates comparable to my other distros 2300+ fps.The only weird thing was when I tried to mkinitrd with my new kernel and boot to it, I got kernel panic... no modules installed. But if I used the old "initrd.splash" that came with Zen, the kernel seems to load properly. Strange, huh? I must have made a boo-boo somewhere when creating my initrd. :(I can start customizing my Zen installation now. Kernel seems stable. Off I go...

kernel --> 2.6.17.13-custom_eric01
LOL . . . That truly is a great name for a kernel Eric !! B) Glad all parts fell in it's place and the Nvidia drivers are working too.B) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton
LOL . . . That truly is a great name for a kernel Eric !! B) Glad all parts fell in it's place and the Nvidia drivers are working too.;) Bruno
Heh! Yeah. It seemed appropriate. ;)How'd you like how I "cheated" on a few steps by copying the kernel .config file from Slackware? Pretty innovative, huh? B)

How'd you like how I "cheated" on a few steps by copying the kernel .config file from Slackware? Pretty innovative, huh? :thumbsup:
LOL . . . . I like the *lazy* kind of solutions, they are the best B) :D :DB) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I've made some progress...- I configured my Xfce desktop to my liking.- I manually installed the 1.5x version of Thunderbird. I didn't want to use the 2.0 version that came with Zen. Many of my extensions wouldn't work.- I had a problem getting T-bird to open any links in emails. I had to do the "Mepis Network.Protocol" modifications to the Prefs.js file in T-bird to get it to work.- I set up T-bird to open .pdf files with evince. I couldn't get xpdf to work after installing it.- I added a Slackware 11.0 repo to Gslapt.- I installed Java from the Slackware repo and configured the symlink in /usr/libs/firefox2.0 to get Java to work in the browser.- I set the Session Manager to start up Gnome and KDE support at boot up. I think this may have solved a sound problem I had in T-bird (not playing custom .wav). However, I also installed esound. That may have actually been the fix.- I removed the 2.6.21.3 kernel, headers, and source from the system. With my two custom kernels, I don't need it. Besides, it uses libATA. No thanks!-- Minor Annoyances --- I have the old SuSE focus stealing across workspaces problem with T-bird and FF. I know this is a focus problem. I can fix it in KDE (and did, in Mepis), but I've tweaked all the focus settings in Xfce and can't get it to stop.- TOP and KSysguard do not agree on the amount of resources being used by the OS. TOP usually shows only about 250M being used. Ksys shows almost 400M. I tend to believe TOP.That's about it for tonight. It's after 2AM. I have a busy day coming up today. I'm off to bed.Nighty-night! :thumbsup:

- TOP and KSysguard do not agree on the amount of resources being used by the OS. TOP usually shows only about 250M being used. Ksys shows almost 400M. I tend to believe TOP.
My bet would be on Top too . . . . and also Ksys could be right: in case the Ksys app itself eats the 150M it shows more then Top. ( Top is a console tool and Ksys a gui app depending on KDE libraries and since you are running Xfce it has to load a whole bunch of KDE stuff to make it work :thumbsup: )B) Bruno