Ubuntu runs on my laptop !

Bruno

Here is the idea: You have Ubuntu running on a Laptop, and you want to share the experience so that people with the same laptop know what distro to install.Please copy the next report to your post and fill in the details:**********Model:Videocard:Network:Wifi:Bluetooth:Webcam:Touchpad:Hotkey (Home, Eject, Suspend ...):Display:OS:Kernel:Suspend on Disk:Suspend on RAM:Comments:**********We will collect all the data in the 2nd post ( that is why it is empty now ;) );) Your All Things Linux Mod Team

( This is to collect data )

-- Frank Golden:

Model:
Acer Aspire as5672WLMi
Videocard:
ATi Radeon Mobility X1400, needed to manually install proprietary drivers to get full 3-D
Network:
Broadcom Netlink â„¢ Gigabit Ethernet, out of box
Wifi:
Intel ® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG, out of box
Bluetooth:
Acer Module don't know, don't use
Webcam:
Logitech, no, no drivers yet
Touchpad:
Synaptics, yes, out of box
Hotkey (Home, Eject, Suspend ...):
Yes, out of box
Display:
1280x800 native
Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS
Kernel:
Suspend on Disk:
Don't use
Suspend on RAM:
Don't use
Comments:
Except for webcam and 5 in 1 card reader (Texas Instruments) all hardware works either out of boxor with manual tweak. Same with Edgy Ubuntu (on another HDD)

-- mhbell:

Model:
Toshiba Satellite P35-S6053
Videocard:
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP
Network:
Realtek RTL8139
Wifi:
Atheros AR500SGS
Bluetooth:
Yes
Webcam:
no
Touchpad:
Yes
Works
Display:
17 inch 1280 x 1024
Ubuntu 5.10, 6.06, 6.10 edgy, Suse 10.2
Kernel:
Various
Suspend on Disk:
Don't Use
Suspend on RAM:
Don't Use
Comments:
Everything works out of the box for me. especially the latest versions. I did have to tweak my wireless, But it was no big deal..

-- Malachite:

Model:
HPdv6000
Videocard:
Intel Mobile 945 GM
Network:
Intel Mobile 945 GM
Wifi:
Broadcom 4311
Bluetooth:
?
Webcam:
no
Touchpad:
Synaptics
Multimedia keys --- all work
Display:
1280x800
Kubuntu 6.10
Kernel:
2.6.17-11-generic
Suspend on Disk:
Does not work
Suspend on RAM:
Does not work
Comments:
915resolution was not installed by default. Once installed and X restarted, resolution worked. ALSA needed to be updated to the latest version before the headphones worked. Getting wireless to work was the only hard thing, but wireless works fine now.

-- epp_b:

Model:
Acer TravelMate 4000
Videocard:
Intel 82852/855GM IGP
Network:
Broadcom BCM4401 100Base-T
Wifi:
Intel Centrino 2200BG
Bluetooth:
(I don't know, I have nothing to test it with)
Webcam:
(none)
Touchpad:
synPS/2 Synaptics
Email button opens default mailer, web button opens default browser 'P' and 'E' hotkeys do nothing
Display:
1024x768 (XGA)
Ubuntu 6.10
Kernel:
2.6.17-11-generic
Suspend on Disk:
Yes, but kills wi-fi *
Suspend on RAM:
Yes, but there are a few error messages and it kills wi-fi *
Comments:
The wireless was pretty easy to setup. Once I figured it out, all I had to do was:
sudo cp /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples/wpa_supplicant.conf.gz /etcsudo gunzip /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.gz# configure /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf for my wi-fi routersudo wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.confsudo dhclient eth1

-- MysteryFCM:

Model:
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 Series
Videocard:
S3 Graphics Inc SavageX
Network:
Xircom Ethernet Adapter 10/100 (see comments)
Wifi:
Yes and no (see comments)
Bluetooth:
Nope
Webcam:
Nope
Touchpad:
Nope
Not set
Display:
1024x768 SVGA
Windows XP SP2 / Ubuntu 8.04
Kernel:
2.6.24-16-generic
Suspend on Disk:
Nope (works in Windows, but not Ubuntu)
Suspend on RAM:
As above
Comments:
I can have Wifi, but only if I don't have the hardwire plugged in as they both need plugged into the PCMCIA slot sad.gif (I don't have a wireless USB dongle)The two PCMCIA cards I've got are;
Netgear WG511Pro-Nets CB54GM
Alas neither of them work anymore sad.gif (both old and err - dead, lol)I should mention, I had Ubuntu running when I first got it (before the laptops CD drive died) via LiveCD (4.10 - was my first taste of Ubuntu), and the wifi worked absolutely fine, all I needed to do was configure it.

-- Striker:

Model
: ACER Travelmate 6465WLMi -- Intel® Core™2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz and 2Gigs RAM DDR667
Videocard
: ATI Technologies Inc.M52 Mobility Radeon X1300 (128MB) / driver used : which the distro installed (no fglrx!)
Network
: NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express > works
Wifi
: I do not use this
Bluetooth
: works, tested with Samsung SGH-E250
Webcam
: works with Ekiga and Cheese (use v4l2)
Touchpad
: works (see comment 1)
Hotkey (Home, Eject, Suspend ...)
: they work (see comment 2)
Display
: 15.4" matte display 1680 x 1050
OS
: Ubuntu 8.0.4 (Hardy Heron) 64 bit
Kernel
: 2.6.24-17-generic
Suspend on Disk
: works (see comment 3)
Suspend on RAM
: I don' t use this
Comments
:Additional remarks:
1] In /etc/X11/xorg.conf, Section "InputDevice" (Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad") add this: (without opening and closing quote)'Option "SHMConfig" "on" 'Next install the gsynaptics package, reboot machine. After the reboot run gsynaptics and adjust to your likings.2] (Gnome: In Control Center > Hardware > Keyboard > tab Layouts choose Acer > Acer Laptop.)pull up volume and push down volume, dim and undim display,mute and unmute volume (FN+F8), toggle touchpad (FN+F7),PgUP and PgDn, Home and End buttons all work.Workaround for choosing $ and eurosign keys:SHFT+4 results in $. (dollarsign)Use righthand AltGr key while hitting the 5 key, resulting in eurosign. (forum does not display eurosign)3] (k)Ubuntu does not initialize the swap file. To correct this, edit /etc/fstab so the swap files line reads 2x swap instead of none and swap.In the kernel line of /boot/grub/menu.lst add this : resume=/dev/sdXY, where sdXY is your swap partition.Next, System > Preferences > Power Management > tab ' On AC Power' > When laptop lid is closed: Suspend. Tab 'On Battery Power' > When laptop lid is closed: Suspend.Reboot machine to let xorg.conf and grub be read by the system, after the reboot you can close the lid: machine now hibernates after a few moments. Take a coffee. Open up the machines lid, hit the enter button: in a few moments the machine comes back to life and throws a login box at the screen: enter your password and hit the unlock button, you're in business again.Additional comments: for a solution to crappy/fuzzy fonts, see this thread:
;)

-- Frank

Model
:Acer Aspire 5672WLMi
Videocard
:AMD/ATi Mobility radeon X1400 works 2-D "out of box" at native display resolution. Needed some extra work and a little hairpulling to install the very latest 3-D drivers from AMD/ATi.
Network
:Broadcom Netlink ™ Gigabit Ethernet, "Works out of box"
Wifi
:Intel ® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG, works "out of box". The led indicator light didn't work right off but the wi-fi worked just fine. A little googling came up with a fix. The same problem exists with new 32 bit Hardy installs also.
Bluetooth
:Acer Module don't know, don't use
Webcam
:Acer Orbicam works "out of box" needed Camorama to preview. Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 usb camera the UVC drivers are installed by default needed to install luvcview to preview. Both work great with Skype 2.0
Touchpad
:Synaptics works "out of box"Hotkey (Home, Eject, Suspend ...):Works out of box, have disabled hibernation and suspend, don't use.
Display
:Acer with a native resolution of 1280x800 works "out of box"
OS
:Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 64 bit (Hardy)
Kernel
:2.6.24-19-generic
Suspend on Disk
:yes but don't use
Suspend on RAM
:yes but don't use
Comments
:5 in 1 SD card reader (built-in) works out of box also. All my hardware seems to work "out of box" or only need a little tweaking. NTFS read/write support works perfectly. External drives and flash drives mount with no issues.

( This is to collect data )

Just copy 'n paste the template in post #1 and fill it in. Later on we will collect the data and put it in post #2 to have a quick overview. ;)

Yeah, but...do we need to make a new thread about EVERY one? ;)
Yep . . .'cause imagine I like Slackware and I want to buy a laptop . . . in that case I will look in the "Slackware runs on my laptop" thread to see what hardware is supported and what features I can expect to run out of the box. This is why we made separate threads for each distro. ;);) Bruno

Model:Acer Aspire as5672WLMiVideocard:ATi Radeon Mobility X1400, needed to manually install proprietary drivers to get full 3-DNetwork:Broadcom Netlink ™ Gigabit Ethernet, out of boxWifi:Intel ® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG, out of boxBluetooth:Acer Module don't know, don't useWebcam:Logitech, no, no drivers yetTouchpad:Synaptics, yes, out of boxHotkey (Home, Eject, Suspend ...):Yes, out of boxDisplay:1280x800 nativeOS:Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTSKernel:2.6.15.686Suspend on Disk:Don't useSuspend on RAM:Don't useComments:Except for webcam and 5 in 1 card reader (Texas Instruments) all hardware works either out of boxor with manual tweak. Same with Edgy Ubuntu (on another HDD)

Model: Toshiba Satellite P35-S6053Videocard: ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGPNetwork: Realtek RTL8139Wifi: Atheros AR500SGSBluetooth: YesWebcam: noTouchpad: YesHotkey (Home, Eject, Suspend ...): WorksDisplay: 17 inch 1280 x 1024OS: Ubuntu 5.10, 6.06, 6.10 edgy, 7.04, 710, 804, Suse 10.2Kernel: VariousSuspend on Disk: Don't UseSuspend on RAM: Don't UseComments: Everything works out of the box for me. especially the latest versions. I did have to tweak my wireless, But it was no big deal..Mel :thumbsup:

Edited by mhbell

• 4 months later...

Model: HPdv6000Videocard: Intel Mobile 945 GMNetwork: Intel Pro/100Wifi: Broadcom 4311Bluetooth: ?Webcam: NoneTouchpad: SynapticsHotkey (Home, Eject, Suspend ...): Multimedia keys --- all work.Display: 1280x800OS: Kubuntu 6.10Kernel: 2.6.17-11-genericSuspend on Disk: Does not work.Suspend on RAM: Does not work.Comments: 915resolution was not installed by default. Once installed and X restarted, resolution worked. ALSA needed to be updated to the latest version before the headphones worked. Getting wireless to work was the only hard thing, but wireless works fine now.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad just got an Acer TravelMate 4000, and I have an evening to play with it, so I'm installing Edgy Eft as we speak :)I'll fill in what I can for now...EDIT: Update! Got it all here now.Model: Acer TravelMate 4000Videocard: Intel 82852/855GM IGPNetwork: Broadcom BCM4401 100Base-TWifi: Intel Centrino 2200BGBluetooth: (I don't know, I have nothing to test it with)Webcam: (none)Touchpad: synPS/2 SynapticsHotkey (Home, Eject, Suspend ...): Email button opens default mailer, web button opens default browser 'P' and 'E' hotkeys do nothingDisplay: 1024x768 (XGA)OS: Ubuntu 6.10Kernel: 2.6.17-11-genericSuspend on Disk: Yes, but kills wi-fi *Suspend on RAM: Yes, but there are a few error messages and it kills wi-fi *Comments: The wireless was pretty easy to setup. Once I figured it out, all I had to do was:

sudo cp /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples/wpa_supplicant.conf.gz /etcsudo gunzip /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.gz# configure /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf for my wi-fi routersudo wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.confsudo dhclient eth1

And I'm up and running on wi-fi! B)* I didn't go any further in configuring wi-fi than manually running the wpa and dhcp clients each time I wanted to connect, so this may have something to do with the fact that wi-fi timed out when using the suspend features.

Edited by epp_b

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
MysteryFCM

Slightly late and it's installed via Wubi (so not sure if that counts) but;Model: Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 SeriesVideocard: S3 Graphics Inc SavageXNetwork: Xircom Ethernet Adapter 10/100 (see comments)Wifi: Yes and no (see comments)Bluetooth: NopeWebcam: NopeTouchpad: NopeHotkey (Home, Eject, Suspend ...): Not setDisplay: 1024x768 SVGAOS: Windows XP SP2 / Ubuntu 8.04Kernel: Not sure (haven't looked)Suspend on Disk: Nope (works in Windows, but not Ubuntu)Suspend on RAM: As aboveComments:I can have Wifi, but only if I don't have the hardwire plugged in as they both need plugged into the PCMCIA slot :) (I don't have a wireless USB dongle)The two PCMCIA cards I've got are;Netgear WG511Pro-Nets CB54GMAlas neither of them work anymore :whistling: (both old and err - dead, lol)/editI should mention, I had Ubuntu running when I first got it (before the laptops CD drive died) via LiveCD (4.10 - was my first taste of Ubuntu), and the wifi worked absolutely fine, all I needed to do was configure it.

Edited by MysteryFCM

Added. Thanks, Steven! You can check your kernel version with uname -r:

urmas@rocinante:~$ uname -r2.6.24-17-genericurmas@rocinante:~$

:hysterical:

MysteryFCM

Cheers :thumbsup: ....... I'm not in Ubuntu atm, but will do it when I am and post back B) (though I would imagine it will be whatever is the default in 8.04)

MysteryFCM

My pleasure :)I noticed your kernel appears to be newer than mine, so I'll also update that when I boot back to Ubuntu :)Aslong as I get the small niggles sorted out, I'll prolly be moving Ubuntu to a dedicated partition and away from Wubi (noticed the script from the Wubi author that allows for moving the installation, so just gotta get those sorted out, then get round to creating a partition for it (only got a 60GB HDD in this thing, and there's only around 20GB left ........ (17 on the DATA partition now (moved alot of the files to the backup machine as I didn't need instant access to them), and 6GB on the Windows partition (Windows did have 20GB to itself)).

• 2 weeks later...

Model: ACER Travelmate 6465WLMi -- Intel® Core™2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz and 2Gigs RAM DDR667Videocard: ATI Technologies Inc.M52 Mobility Radeon X1300 (128MB) / driver used : which the distro installed (no fglrx!)Network: NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express > worksWifi: I do not use thisBluetooth: works, tested with Samsung SGH-E250Webcam: works with Ekiga and Cheese (use v4l2)Touchpad: works (see comment 1)Hotkey (Home, Eject, Suspend ...): they work (see comment 2)Display: 15.4" matte display 1680 x 1050OS: Ubuntu 8.0.4 (Hardy Heron) 64 bitKernel: 2.6.24-17-genericSuspend on Disk: works (see comment 3)Suspend on RAM: I don' t use thisComments:1] In /etc/X11/xorg.conf, Section "InputDevice" (Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad") add this: (without opening and closing quote)'Option "SHMConfig" "on" 'Next install the gsynaptics package, reboot machine. After the reboot run gsynaptics and adjust to your likings.2] (Gnome: In Control Center > Hardware > Keyboard > tab Layouts choose Acer > Acer Laptop.)pull up volume and push down volume, dim and undim display,mute and unmute volume (FN+F8), toggle touchpad (FN+F7),PgUP and PgDn, Home and End buttons all work.Workaround for choosing $ and eurosign keys:SHFT+4 results in $. (dollarsign)Use righthand AltGr key while hitting the 5 key, resulting in eurosign. (forum does not display eurosign)3] (k)Ubuntu does not initialize the swap file. To correct this, edit /etc/fstab so the swap files line reads 2x swap instead of none and swap.In the kernel line of /boot/grub/menu.lst add this : resume=/dev/sdXY, where sdXY is your swap partition.Next, System > Preferences > Power Management > tab ' On AC Power' > When laptop lid is closed: Suspend. Tab 'On Battery Power' > When laptop lid is closed: Suspend.Reboot machine to let xorg.conf and grub be read by the system, after the reboot you can close the lid: machine now hibernates after a few moments. Take a coffee. Open up the machines lid, hit the enter button: in a few moments the machine comes back to life and throws a login box at the screen: enter your password and hit the unlock button, you're in business again.Additional comments: for a solution to crappy/fuzzy fonts, see this thread:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...st&p=251435 :teehee:

• 2 weeks later...
Frank Golden

Model:Acer Aspire 5672WLMiVideocard:AMD/ATi Mobility radeon X1400 works 2-D "out of box" at native display resolution. Needed some extra work and a little hairpulling to install the very latest 3-D drivers from AMD/ATi.Network:Broadcom Netlink ™ Gigabit Ethernet, "Works out of box"Wifi:Intel ® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG, works "out of box". The led indicator light didn't work right off but the wi-fi worked just fine. A little googling came up with a fix. The same problem exists with new 32 bit Hardy installs also.Bluetooth:Acer Module don't know, don't useWebcam:Acer Orbicam works "out of box" needed Camorama to preview. Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 usb camera the UVC drivers are installed by default needed to install luvcview to preview. Both work great with Skype 2.0Touchpad:Synaptics works "out of box"Hotkey (Home, Eject, Suspend ...):Works out of box, have disabled hibernation and suspend, don't use.Display:Acer with a native resolution of 1280x800 works "out of box"OS:Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 64 bit (Hardy)Kernel:2.6.24-19-genericSuspend on Disk:yes but don't useSuspend on RAM:yes but don't useComments:5 in 1 SD card reader (built-in) works out of box also. All my hardware seems to work "out of box" or only need a little tweaking. NTFS read/write support works perfectly. External drives and flash drives mountwith no issues.