Webroot firewall

Jeber

There's a new player in the software firewall market. The makers of my favorite anti-spyware software, Webroot (makers of SpySweeper) have introduced their Desktop Firewall.I've had it running for about 2 weeks on my test computer, along with SpySweeper and NOD32 AV, and thus far am finding it quite good. It has many of the same controls as Zone Alarm, monitoring inbound and outbound traffic and asking permission only on the first attempt of any software to connect to the internet. It will automatically recognize your default browser and allow it access to the web, and provides the ability to block all traffic if you need it to.From their site;

A computer without a firewall is easy prey for hackers, worms, remote access Trojans and other online threats. Anti-spyware and virus protection are only a part of any security solution. A firewall is a critical component, and Desktop Firewall secures your computer from Internet threats and reduces the risks of being a victim of online crimes.Designed for novices and experts alike, Webroot Desktop Firewall is the gatekeeper to your PC * Monitors Internet traffic in and out of your PC for better protection * "Hides" your PC from online scammers looking for easy targets * Prevents remote access Trojans from hijacking your PC What's New in Version 1.3 * PC Lock Down immediately stops traffic in and out of your PC for added protection * File and printer sharing protection on your local area network for greater flexibility * Comprehensive event logs record in- and outbound online activities for in-depth review Critical Online SecurityIn this day and age, sophisticated PC security is required, including anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall protection. Webroot Desktop Firewall provides the critical protection you need to keep your PC safe from unauthorized access.Traffic MonitoringYour computer can be a revolving door of constantly streaming communications - some desirable, others dangerous. Webroot Desktop Firewall actively monitors this activity and alerts you to suspicious traffic so you aren't surprised by unwanted traffic.Stealth Mode FeatureWebroot Desktop Firewall lets you operate your computer operate in Stealth Mode, making your online presence invisible to Internet scammers looking for easy targets.Automatic Security AlertsReceive instant alerts whenever suspicious programs, applications or other computers contact your PC or attempt to send information or data from your PC to stay notified of your computer activity.PC Lock DownExperiencing unexplained computer activity? Use the PC Lock Down feature to immediately stop all traffic in and out of your PC, and protect your data until you can determine the cause.File and Printer SharingWebroot Desktop Firewall lets you easily share your files and printers with other computers on your local area network without unnecessarily exposing your PC to online threats.Comprehensive Internet Activity LogIf you think someone has attempted to access your PC, simply review the Internet activity log. You'll know if a hacker or unknown programs has cracked your PC.Expert Customer SupportWebroot Desktop Firewall is backed by knowledgeable and friendly customer support technicians to help you through any issues you encounter. Unlike many of our competitors, we offer online and phone support absolutely FREE.Satisfaction GuaranteeWebroot always stands behind its products, which is why all of our products are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. No questions asked.Minimum System RequirementsWindows 98 SE, 2000, Me or XP233 Mhz processor10 MB hard drive space64 MB RAM
There's a free 30-day trial. The full version retails for $29.99.If you're looking for a good software firewall, I'd recommend at least checking out Webroot's. SpySweeper remains at or near the top of every anti-spyware review I've seen. If they built their firewall with the same care, it should prove to be a real challenge to ZA.

• 3 weeks later...
... The full version retails for $29.99...
That is a yearly subscription fee (but including the updates).Would the good money be better spent on a "Hardware Firewall" that comes included with most retail (DSL/Cable) modems?Such modems fetch a one-time similar price! My DSL Modem (a 2Wire model; which includes such a hardware firewall PLUS Wi-Fi connectivity) came free when I signed up with my SBC (now AT&T) DSL and I have not used a software firewall for the past few years in my system. I find that hardware firewalls are much less intrusive and don't gummy-up or slow down the system at all!There is no argument that all users should employ some sort of firewall: Whether they are hardware based or software based, or even the WinXP built-in ingress firewall. And/or maybe even a good proxy server!But I am in the inclination that yearly subscription based software is something I would rather not endorse!

But I am in the inclination that yearly subscription based software is something I would rather not endorse!
I confess that bothered me too when it comes to software that doesn't require frequent updates. ZA and Webroot are two companies that have yearly subscriptions, yet a software firewall doesn't really require much in the way of updating. A better business model for firewalls would be to charge once (not annually, just once, period) then update (what, probably every 6 months or so) for free or for a very reduced fee.

A hardware firewall will not have any kind out outbound protection.
How very true... Few years ago, I did a long search, looking for a single sw firewall that was strictly an 'egress' protection or one package that can be setup for ONLY 'egress' filtering.I could not find one to my satisfaction and finally gave up!I tried to read up on how to block malicious software from going out of my network.I studied DDOS, TCP state machine attacks (SYN, FIN, NUL, ACK/NACK, ICMP, UDP (Fraggle) flooding.I researched Stateful/Stateless Access Controls.I reviewed my DSL modems DMZ Support.I also fooled around with using packet sniffers and outbound traffic monitoring and network activity logging utilities.I even attempted to create ACLs to prevent unauthorized traffic from reaching out to the outside world.I finally came to the conclusion that any cleverly written malware would be able to fool any type of egress filtering that I can possibly setup.I also came to the conclusion that to prevent such types of egress violations from taking over my machine was to prevent spyware/virus/malware from infecting my computer in the first place!My 2Wire DSL modem firewall, although primarily ingress firewall, provides "Attack Detection" provisions for such things as ExcessiveSessionDetection, InvalidSource/Destination IP AddressChecks, Packet Flooding, TCP FlagAttacks, Invalid ICMP Detection and some other miscellaneous provisions!And with some experimentation {wink.gif} I found out that my DSL service provider does not take kindly to bogging down the network whether it is ingress or egress. Heck, they don't even enjoy users doing the BitTorrent gig!So, you know what I did? I learned to trust my continually updated anti-Spyware/Virus/Malware programs and let DUmeter graphical interface show me if/when there is too much unauthorized traffic on my network.Knock on wood >> I have not been dinged yet!