Novell and Microsoft

greengeek

Saw this on Slashdot. Novell's server is giving me an internal error, must be the influx in traffic after this announcement. This doesn't make any sense. Why would Microsoft help spread a product that competes directly with their biggest source of income?Something smells very fishy here. Then again, I remember Microsoft's previous "partnerships"... Watch out Novell...

Because Microsoft values the importance of collaboration and yet maintains competitive. That's just how Microsoft conducts its business. Novell isn't exactly at its losing end. This is also not the first time that Microsoft sets up partnership with competitors, so no surprise here.

In addition, the software makers have struck a deal on patents designed to give customers peace of mind about using Novell's open-source products, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and Novell CEO Ronald Hovsepian said at an event here. "This set of agreements will really help bridge the divide between open-source and proprietary source software," Ballmer said. The impetus for the arrangement was to make it easier for software buyers to run both Windows and Linux-based systems, Hovsepian said. "We came together to focus on giving you, our customers, the choice," he said. The companies will create a joint research facility at which they will build and test new products, and work with customers and the open-source community. The focus will be on three technical areas: virtualization, Web services for server management, and Microsoft Office-OpenOffice.org compatibility, the company executives said.
C|Net

It looks to me like this will reduce the employability of a few lawyers. It has the potential to prevent some things like SCO's escapades.

Additionally, Microsoft will officially recommend Suse Linux Enterprise for people who want to run both Windows and Linux. It will distribute coupons for maintenance and support for Novell's Suse Linux Enterprise Server operating system. Microsoft and Novell will help each other's customers with support, transferring people over to the other company's help staff if needed.
Sounds like a merger to me??http://news.com.com/Microsoft+makes+Linux+...ne.gall.related Edited by Gary