Still no sound

albrtijo

Formatted / /home /usrReinstalled free2006Upgraded via MCCInstalled aumix and aRts (saw "audio" in list of required others)KMix volume reset to 0 every restartKMix volume not reset with "End Current Session"Still no "Input" tab for KmixSound in WindowsXPAnd the silence is deafening

Edited by albrtijo

Very very strange . . . . . Maybe you can go in the MCC --> Hardware --> Soundcard . . . . . there should be "alternative drivers" listed, note down the driver in use now so you can go back to it and try the 2 ( in most cases there are 2 ) alternatives. Reboot after changing the driver.:devil: Bruno

Very very strange . . . . . Maybe you can go in the MCC --> Hardware --> Soundcard . . . . . there should be "alternative drivers" listed, note down the driver in use now so you can go back to it and try the 2 ( in most cases there are 2 ) alternatives. Reboot after changing the driver.:devil: Bruno
Driver module: snd-hda-intelThis appeared after failed attempt:There's no known OSS/ALSA alternative driver foryour sound card (Intel Corp. (I/O Controller Hub Audio)which currently uses "unknown"I've bothered you enough with this problem. I wanted to try a new install without any of the carry over from my previous "no sound" setup. Is it possible that "snd-hda-intel" doesn't work with Linux, or at least Mandriva? As I reported, I have sound on this Sony desktop with WindowsXP.I've got other things to work on, I'll give you a break. Thanks very much for your enviable patience.albrtijo

I did do a search on "snd-hda-intel" and it does bring a few results, but almost all of them have problems and no solutions, other then plugging in another soundcard, are posted.The only "light" I could find was: http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?m...c=7214&forum=60 but that needs an updated kernel and alsa ( NOTES: The poster named "oCiLeNt1" is the one who bakes the kernels for PCLos. Maybe the solution "bubbleguuum" posts, with his /etc/modules.conf entries that should in Mandriva be placed in /etc/modprobe.conf, could be of help ) . . . . . and if such a kernel is already available for Mandriva remains to be seen. Anyway it looks like your card is not YET supported, but it will most likely be in next versions . . . :'(If you ask me, you're better off buying a cheap soundcard for $10 somewhere and use that one until your current intell one is supported.:devil: Bruno