KDE 3.5 rc1 in Mandriva 2006 ?

Bruno

Do you want to live dangerously ?? Or do you maybe have an extra partition where you can test this ??KDE will release kde-3.5 rc1 today . . . and there is a possibillity to install it on your Mandriva 2006 . . . BUT . . . . At Your Own Risk !!Don't come crying to me, nor to Thac or Zé ( they packed and are hosting the rpms ) if all goes terribly wrong . . . :) NOTE: There are about 850 MB packages to download !Okay . . all the warnings are given, so now the info:1). Add source:

# urpmi.addmedia thac_rpms http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/thac//2006.0/RPMS with hdlist.cz

2). Please check that you also have the following sources:- main- contrib - plf-free - plf-non-free( see: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=13427 )3). Close X with:

# init 3

and log in as user . . . then type "su" and give your root password.4). Then:

# mv .kde .kde-old

( Yes, you will lose your KDE settings ! )5). Next:

# urpmi --auto-select

and press Y when asked . . . this will install the new packages. ( there still can be a few errors but you can safely ignore them )6). Next:

# rpm -e --nodeps kdebase-kdm-config-file#  urpmi kdebase-kdm-config-file

7). Finally type "reboot" ( you will see the 3.4 splash, but when you check "kcontrol" you see 3.5 RC1Have FUN ! B) BrunoEXTRA NOTE: I tested this on a "special" install especially for this experiment . . . not on my main-work-mandriva-install !! So please be careful ! ( But so far I have not had any real trouble with it >_< )

• 3 weeks later...

Just letting you know that Thac is at kdebase-3.5.0-3 and it looks pretty solid by now . . . . . ( only still missing the 4th tab in the "look & feel" --> "panels" dialog where you can unset the mouseover effects of the taskbar )I had to remove all 5 sources and configure them again before I got the 151 new packages ( 1251 MB ) . . . but when it was done upgrading and I did the "magic" commands you can see in the previous post to move the .kde and reinstall the kdebase-kdm-config-file all was tip top okay :DB) BrunoPS: although you will install kdebase-3.5.0-3 . . . in the KDE Control Center it still says "RC" :thumbsup:

. . . ( only still missing the 4th tab in the "look & feel" --> "panels" dialog where you can unset the mouseover effects of the taskbar ) . . . .
Found it . . . . . add this part in your /home/bruno/.kde/share/config/kickerrc
[buttons]EnableIconZoom=falseEnableTileBackground=false
And the annoying giant mouseovers are gone :DB) Bruno

Hi Bruno!I've got it!snapshot10et.th.pngIt was a bit scary because it took a long time to get the first 120...ish files downloaded out of what 225 or thereabout? So I thought I had plenty of time then I came back something like 15 min later ( maybe a little longer ) and everything was finished, was back to the prompt but above it there were some messages refering to kdeartwork is needed....Anyway I punched in the rest of your codes, rebooted, then as you said the splash screen refers to kde 3.4 but as ( I hope ) you can see I've got 3.5. I haven't done the rest ( about the mouse thing yet ) will do so next.Thanks for tip ( and the rush of adrenaline ).!Rejean

Edited by réjean

:w000000000t: . . . . great Réjean !! . . . . . . Glad you were in for this wild adventure !! ( I hope it did not break anything . . . like the ability of seeing video content from the Net with the win32-codecs :teehee: ):hysterical: BrunoPS: Do never use this "update" command on other installs or even your regular Mandriva install . . .

Hi all!Thanks guy. As I said it was a little bit nerve wrecking but it worked that's the main thing. And it didn't afftect my media players.I have a little problem with my icons, Bruno. Can you add a picture to yours? Here is how mine look like;snapshot26uj.th.pngI tried right clicking on them and going into properties so that I coulc click on the little thumbnail and change them but first of all the little home, or the desktop are there already but not on the desktop. Any clue?Otherwise I like it!RéjeanP.S. As you can see with the accent on my name the settings work fine, I can change language, set the clock, disable programs on the right side of the kicker, change picture on the desktop, choose single clicking, etc.

Edited by réjean

Réjean . . . no problem with the icons, you probably are missing them in the Menu as well . . . to solve this do: rightclick on the "start-button" and choose "menu editor" . . . . let it load the entries and icons . . . . then simply press the "save"-button and wait for it to finish.Then go to the KDE Control Center . . . there is a section "icons" in the "Look and Feel" section ( or you can take the new "System"--> "Theme Manager" ) . . change to another icon theme ( for example kde-classic, without saving ) and back to Crystal SVG and then press "apply" . . . . you will see a dialog that says "updating configuration" with a nice little progressbar . . . when finished you can close the KDE Control Center.After this all you should be B) again.Glad everything else ( media players ) is still okay :DB) Bruno

Thanks Bruno!It sure is a good thing we've got you otherwise I don't know what we would do sometimes. Like there is no way I could have found your trick anywhere ( and it is going right in my notebook ). I was right clicking on the desktop and trying to figure it out but couldn't find the icons. I even went into Look and Feel but I guess it doesn't work until the menu editor is activated or something.I noticed that many of the themes are not working yet and that others are only partially working. I suppose they are still working on it.One last thing; I couldn't find the System =>"Theme manager". I can see a "Desktop Setting Wizard" and under Look and Feel a "Windows decoration" but not your Theme Manager. No sweat! I've got my icons now so everything is "GREAT" as in Muhammed Ali. LolThanks again Bruno!Réjean

Some mixed news from the 3.5 trenches . . The Good news:KDE 3.5 final is available . . . . . . a simple command will get you there:

# urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto-select

The Bad news:The fake aRts bug is back . . . . The Good news:Since the aRts bug gives a fake error message . . . . just ignore it and wait for additional fix :o:) Bruno

Rejean ...I notice in your screenshot you have "No text!" where I would expect "Help" to be.I also have that in mine...along with everything in the konqueror toolbar "doubled" up.Other than that...it seems to be working just fine.Do you have any doubled up entries?I have not found a "fix" just yet that works/worked for me...Any ideas?Thanks in advance...

Hi Omega . . . I don't have the "no text" in KDE Control Center, all looks normal . . . also the menu and taskbar have no double entries . . . Are you sure you deleted the .kde direcory before rebooting ? If not boot up in runlevel 3 and delete it on the commandline, then reboot the 'normal' way :) ( yep you will loose the kde settings you customized and will have to do those again :( ):( Bruno

Hi Omega . . . I don't have the "no text" in KDE Control Center, all looks normal . . . also the menu and taskbar have no double entries . . . Are you sure you deleted the .kde direcory before rebooting ? If not boot up in runlevel 3 and delete it on the commandline, then reboot the 'normal' way :( ( yep you will loose the kde settings you customized and will have to do those again :( ):) Bruno
Sorry...let me try and clarify.My main menu and taskbar are fine and do not have double entries.It is just konqueror and some of the other kde programs.Like this: see this post along with the pic of konqueror (note the main toolbar).http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=177094note: edit toolbar, remove an icon and add it back, then apply changes... see:http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=179757And I did follow the 7 steps exactly as listed and only got three conflicts (kdewallet, kdewalletmanager, and kdenetwork-kdict).So I did urpmi --auto-select again and it installed those three without error.I did not see a mention about deleting the .kde directory before rebooting...is that important? All I did was move it.Aside from this...and a few other things ...it's working great :( to Thac and ZLike...1. mouse scroll in konqueror not working like it used to2. only storage devices listed in kcontrol / information3. no fourth tab in kcontrol / looknfeel / panel...So I've been looking for any information I can...and following that older threadjust in case it may give me some ideas...even though it was for 3.4 .vs. 3.5(only because not much has been posted yet about 3.5 so I'm still looking)...Thanks Edited by alphaomega

:( Hi Bruno....I am trying to update KDE to 3.5....looks fine...but after typing 'urpmi --auto-select' command it asked me to install some libraries...don't know what it is...so I just choose 1 and 2....is it poosible to know what it was...like is there any log where I can look....Thanks...Well just executed ''urpmi kdebase-kdm-config-file'' and its asking the same question again....its something like this.....One of the following package is needed.1-Nvidia opengl libraries2-fglrx module for Xorg3-Files for MesaThen same way its asking for kernal sources also.....I just choose 1 for all....Don't know if its the right one.... Edited by Drifter

@ Omega:

Sorry...let me try and clarify.My main menu and taskbar are fine and do not have double entries.It is just konqueror and some of the other kde programs.Like this: see this post along with the pic of konqueror (note the main toolbar).http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=177094note: edit toolbar, remove an icon and add it back, then apply changes... see:http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=179757And I did follow the 7 steps exactly as listed and only got three conflicts (kdewallet, kdewalletmanager, and kdenetwork-kdict).So I did urpmi --auto-select again and it installed those three without error.I did not see a mention about deleting the .kde directory before rebooting...is that important? All I did was move it.Aside from this...and a few other things ...it's working great :( to Thac and ZLike...1. mouse scroll in konqueror not working like it used to2. only storage devices listed in kcontrol / information3. no fourth tab in kcontrol / looknfeel / panel...So I've been looking for any information I can...and following that older threadjust in case it may give me some ideas...even though it was for 3.4 .vs. 3.5(only because not much has been posted yet about 3.5 so I'm still looking)...Thanks
Omega . . . . aditionally to mandrakeusers, there is another thread you can monitor for changes:http://forum.mandrivaclub.com/viewtopic.ph...dfa1580f3bd2f5cAnd there was a note from Thac and Zé:
I would like also to remember that users can get our support in IRC in freenode serves (irc.freenode.net) in channel #MDE
:( Bruno= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = PART 2 = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = @ Drifter:
:) Hi Bruno....I am trying to update KDE to 3.5....looks fine...but after typing 'urpmi --auto-select' command it asked me to install some libraries...don't know what it is...so I just choose 1 and 2....is it poosible to know what it was...like is there any log where I can look....Thanks...Well just executed ''urpmi kdebase-kdm-config-file'' and its asking the same question again....its something like this.....One of the following package is needed.1-Nvidia opengl libraries2-fglrx module for Xorg3-Files for MesaThen same way its asking for kernal sources also.....I just choose 1 for all....Don't know if its the right one....
Funny . . . when getting updates today it gave me a choice of 4:
One of the following packages is needed: 1- libnvidia-opengl1-7676-7.1.20060plf.i586 : NVIDIA OpenGL libraries (to install) 2- fglrx_GLX-8.16.20-5.mdk2006.0.mde.i586 : Fglrx module for Xorg X server and OpenGL libraries (to install) 3- libxorg_MesaGL1-6.9-1.cvs20051203.2.mdk2006.0.mde.i586 : Files for Mesa (GL and GLX libs) (to install) 4- libMesaGL1-5.0.2-11mdk.i586 : Files for Mesa (GL and GLX libs) (to install)
I did take the 4th because my test computer has no Nvidia nor ATI card . . . . After that it proposed to me to remove kdenetwork because of conflicts . . . . I took the gamble and although the advice from urpmi was N I typed Y and got ~450 MB more updates . . . After the updates the aRts-error is fixed ! ( and removing kdenetwork does not ruin the net-connection :( ):"> Bruno

I ended up getting the double entries in the kde program menus and the "no text!" thing fixed. I did a urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto-select and it told me all packages were already installed. I then set the sources for the java packages and updates active and did the commands again...and it wanted to install some 190mb of packages off of thac's site...(some of which I could have sworn were already installed once before like kdenetwork-kdict and kopete). I went ahead and installed them...rebooted and :thumbsup:Now to some fine tuning...and hopefully figuring out how to get back all the missing stuff in kcontrol/information (if possible).Thanks for all the help...Cheers

Edited by alphaomega

Bruno will it work if I follow the instructions here MANDRAKE UPDATE CD ,and change only the update paths to ''ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/official/updates/2006.0/''....
Drifter . . I will post instructions in the other thread you started :DB) BrunoPS: Sorry, I accidentally messed with your post above . . . I hope I restored it well enough :thumbsup:

Like...1. mouse scroll in konqueror not working like it used to
Hi Omega . . . .I had that too and fixed it by changing one line in /etc/X11/xorg.cof, section inputdevice, it now reads: Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"Change that to: Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"I know that in more distros they started changing the usual "4 5" to "6 7" and it works fine, but in the CVS xorg that you upgraded from Thacs it needs to be the good old "4 5" again. ;):o Bruno

Hi Omega . . . .I had that too and fixed it by changing one line in /etc/X11/xorg.cof, section inputdevice, it now reads: Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"Change that to: Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"I know that in more distros they started changing the usual "4 5" to "6 7" and it works fine, but in the CVS xorg that you upgraded from Thacs it needs to be the good old "4 5" again. ;):o Bruno
Thanks Bruno...that was it...:)Now back to investigating some of the other stuff...1. kcontrol / information / empty except for storage devices2. kcontrol / look-n-feel / missing fourth panel read that you have to configure the stuff manually in ~/.kde/share/config/kikerrc3. kcontrol / power control / laptop entryon a desktop pcAnd of course...now...how exactly are updates supposed to be handled?Did I get myself into a mess? If so...I think it was worth it. :thumbsup:So far the only real difficulty was the menu problem in kde programs.The other stuff is minor.Thanks...Cheers Edited by alphaomega

HI OmegaI just did the "regular" updates in PCLos, it has KDE 3.5 too . . . and here it has the 4th tab in the "panel-config" . . . . . so I guess there is still hope when we get bugfixed thac packages for 2006 ( note: mdk-cooker has 3.5 too and also there the 4th tab is missing ).:o Bruno

There are new 3.5 packages from Thac again !The only strange thing is that when I do the usual "urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto-select" I do get a whole bunch of errors . . . . BUT when I first remove all the sources and then add the same sources again I get ~700 MB of updates nicely downloaded and installed . . B) ( only 10 of the 121 packages failed )So here is what to do:Remove

# urpmi.removemedia -a

Add the sources again ( using the synthesis list is faster :o ):

# urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/contrib with ../media_info/synthesis.hdlist_contrib.cz

# urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/main with ../media_info/synthesis.hdlist_main.cz

# urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/free/2006.0 with synthesis.hdlist.cz

# urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/non-free/2006.0 with synthesis.hdlist.cz

# urpmi.addmedia thac_rpms http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/thac//2006.0/RPMS with synthesis.hdlist.cz

Then install the updates with:

# urpmi --auto-select

Don't ask me why the old hdlists got corrupted and had to be replaced . . . because it puzzles me too B) :PB) Bruno

I did not get the error messages...but I did get 10 packages that failed to install due to dependencies.They included packages in the kdetoys*, kdeutils*, and kdegraphics* range.I could not get urpmi to update them and I did not want to use "force"...so I used mcc to remove the packages and then installed the updated ones.Thanks

Hello All! I've been reading these forums since I first tried Mandrake 9.2 and it's has been a great source of help and learning. Thanks to Bruno, Teacher and a number of others who have been very helpful on this forum and especailly kind to newbies. Anyway, on to the problem I'm having..hopefully you can help..I am trying to update KDE to 3.5 and have followed the steps above. Unfortunately when I run urpmi --auto-select I get the folowing:One of the following packages is needed: 1- liblua5-devel-5.0.2-7mdk.i586 : Lua is a powerful, light-weight programming language (to install) 2- liblua4-devel-4.0.1-5mdk.i586 : Lua is a powerful, light-weight programming language (to install)What is your choice? (1-2) 1One of the following packages is needed: 1- libnvidia-opengl1-8174-0.1.20060plf.i586 : NVIDIA OpenGL libraries (to install) 2- fglrx_GLX-8.16.20-5.mdk2006.0.mde.i586 : Fglrx module for Xorg X server and OpenGL libraries (to install) 3- libxorg_MesaGL1-6.9-1.cvs20051205.1.mdk2006.0.mde.i586 : Files for Mesa (GL and GLX libs) (to install) 4- libMesaGL1-5.0.2-11mdk.i586 : Files for Mesa (GL and GLX libs) (to install)What is your choice? (1-4) 1Then it just stalls nothing happens at all! I've let it sit for a long time and nothing. I did a urpmi.removemedia -a and then re-added all the sources again but the results are the same.Any ideas?

Hi cybrmat!First of all let me welcome you to our forum. As you have mentionned already Bruno and Julia are extremely resourceful persons but there are others as well who should be acknowledge.Just one single question; when you see the text you mention do you make a choice? I normally go for the most up to date suggestion and type in the corresponding number. In your case, for instance:

One of the following packages is needed:1- liblua5-devel-5.0.2-7mdk.i586 : Lua is a powerful, light-weight programming language (to install)2- liblua4-devel-4.0.1-5mdk.i586 : Lua is a powerful, light-weight programming language (to install)What is your choice? (1-2) 1

I would type in "1" since the number is 5.0.2-7 instead of the second which is 4.0.1-5 and keep on going until the choices are over and the real install starts.HTH!Réjean

Edited by réjean

Greetings as well cybermat...I would second réjean's recommendation about selecting the most up to date version...And on the second set of choices...It's hard to say...I can only tell you what I picked and why.One of the following packages is needed: 1- libnvidia-opengl1-8174-0.1.20060plf.i586 : NVIDIA OpenGL libraries (to install) 2- fglrx_GLX-8.16.20-5.mdk2006.0.mde.i586 : Fglrx module for Xorg X server and OpenGL libraries (to install) 3- libxorg_MesaGL1-6.9-1.cvs20051205.1.mdk2006.0.mde.i586 : Files for Mesa (GL and GLX libs) (to install) 4- libMesaGL1-5.0.2-11mdk.i586 : Files for Mesa (GL and GLX libs) (to install)What is your choice? (1-4) 1I had installed the nvidia driver...but it was not version 8174...it was an older version 7174...so I did not pick option 1.Out of the next three, I had no real clue which would have been best for my situation...so I ended up picking option 3 only because part of it "6.9-1.cvs20051205.1.mdk2006.0.mde"matched with the installed version of Xorg.I hope this was helpful...CheersP.S. on a side note...anyone else seeing certain settings not sticking?like:net applet set to always launch at startupkorganizer set to not launch at loginkwalletmanager set to show icon in system tray

Edited by alphaomega

HI cybrmatWelcome to the forum !!You will have to experiment a bit ( if 1 + 1 does not work ) . . . my choice in the second section was 1 +4 ;)<_< Bruno

Hello and Thank you! I didn't mean to miss any one. I was trying to cover with "a number of others", for those who's name I could not remember!Réjean, yes I made the selection just like you seen in the capture. I picked 1 + 4 becuase I thought they were the best choices for my system. OK, really I did not know what the heck the first one was is, I only choose it becuse it looked like a more recent version. The second chioce was becuase I have a nvidia card in my system. Actaully I had tried 1+4, then 1+1 and then 1+3. I had no idea what the #2 choice for the video drivers was so I did not select that option. That was until you'all answered the post so I decided I better check all compinations. It does not matter which I choose, after I select the last one it just sits at the prompt. Nothing else happens. :blink:

Hi CybrmatMaybe try what I did in post #23 here above: remove all the sources with "urpmi.removemedia -a" and add them again.:blink: Bruno