Open directory in the same window

sunrat

Just received the Ubuntu CDs in the mail, and had it installed on hda12 several hours later.It installed fairly easily and detected the right hardware. Took a while compared to Mepis, though.One thing that bugs me is that I cant find a way to make Nautilus open a directory in the same window rather than spawning a new one each time. I guess it's a Gnome thing as it behaves the same in my install of Demudi. But Nautilus in Mandrake 10 (in KDE) behaves as I like, opening in the same window! B) How can I get it the same in Ubuntu?

hi Suni agree that has to the most annoying thing about Nautilus but anyway how to stop alll those pop ups is go to 1) System Tools 2) Configuration Editor3) apps4) nautilus 5) preferences then turn on always_use_browserSystem Tools -> Configuration Editor. >apps -> nautilus -> preferences then turn on always_use_browser.then you will have just 1 window not a milllion of them

Edited by steel

now if i can just figure out the second most annoying thing and that is how to get rid of " my computer " icon and name off my desktop and go back to the old format of home B)

LOL . . . . now there is a thing I passionately hate as well Steel !!! :'(
hi Brunowell i got one figured out thats the next thing i am working on B) B) now its worse cos now no more 100 windows open from nautilus it works like Konq but only problem it doesnt hide that icon and its annoying makes me miss window maker and afterstep more and more ... :(

Thanks, steel. I knew there must be a way.Coincidentally the window behaviour "feature" was mentioned in a review of Gnome in Australian PC Authority this month, but not how to change it. Apparently it's only default since Gnome 2.6. I'm accustomed to using KDE and still prefer it, especially the "Actions" section in the context menu. And I hate the My Computer icon too. Smells like Windoze influence here."Oh give me a /Home..........." ;) :lol:

I would have to remove the My Computer. I don't even allow it on the desktop at school (I make my students work at computers with no icons on the desktop so they know how to find things. ;) ) If you don't like how Nautilus works, why not choose a different program? Or do all work the same way? You are right though, there is no place like /home or is that /home sweet /home. :lol:

Thanks, steel. I knew there must be a way.And I hate the My Computer icon too. Smells like Windoze influence here."Oh give me a /Home..........." :rolleyes:  :lol:
your welcome Sun, anytime and i have to agree with your about what you just said as well... now what i do like about Gnome is the apps they are awesome... also found a few ways to get rid of the " computer on desktop " 1 way is to edit a huge bunch of files and the easiest way is to System Tools -> Configuration Editor >apps -> nautilus -> desktop and uncheck the boxes that you want removed :)

I would have to remove the My Computer.  I don't even allow it on the desktop at school (I make my students work at computers with no icons on the desktop so they know how to find things. :) )  If you don't like how Nautilus works, why not choose a different program? 
hi Teach now that sounds like a class that i would love to be in, considering i like desktop clean too no nothing, thats why afterstep, windows maker and black box and flux are so awesome ... xfce and Ice are nice too but a lil bloated ...Gnome is not bad at all with a few modifications and a few distro use it as there default.... now one thing i would disable for your students would be the run command :lol: make them :) a lil :rolleyes:

The run command for students? Are you crazy? If I catch a stuent in the run command they can hang their computer privileges up for the rest of the year. If I catch them in the control panel more than once they are history. Usually a new kid will try to change the desktop their first day and they know to never try that again. :) I keep PC Los on one computer (live) and if I choose to let them have free time they can go play on that - after all of their work is turned in, reviewed, and deemed acceptable. As you can guess, it is not often that they get more than 5 or 10 minutes in PC Los. :DWith any GUI I believe you can clean it up so you don't have anything on the desktop. If I have a nice picture, I sure don't need all the icons there cluttering things up.

The run command for students?  Are you crazy?  If I catch a stuent in the run command they can hang their computer privileges up for the rest of the year.  If I catch them in the control panel more than once they are history. 
LOL..... sounds like you run a tight ship, :) thats geat because honestly gui as nice but should your computer not be able to boot into gui and your not used to cli then your in trouble ... as far as the gnome nautilus poping into a million things so you can get to one folder and the " computer on desktop " are all annoying and shouldnt be default in the first place :lol: if i wanted to look at my computer i would open up windows :) and having to close 100 windows that nautilus had created are all annoying to me .... but i love the apps in gnome there awesome :rolleyes:

SonicTrust me, that is a wise idea. We used to have a program to remove all those things but I had to convince them I needed those privileges. ;) <ducking> I am in a class right now where I am learning that we are suppose to teach javascript to the students. B) :D My students? B)

:angry: ok 2 more extra things that i find annoying in gnome1) you cant delete things right away to garbage you can only move them grrrr2) system sounds are annoyng as heck, close em :) 1)If set to true, then Nautilus will have a feature allowing you to delete a file immediately and in-place, instead of moving it to the trash. This feature can be dangerous, so use caution.System Tools -> Configuration Editor >apps -> nautilus ->preferences >enable_delete--- you still have the option of moving things to garbage or deleting them straight away, but at least you have the option of deleting them without moving them to garbage 2)close annoying system sounds :)System Tools -> Configuration Editor >desktop>gnome>sound and the others from before 3)make Nautilus open a directory in the same windowSystem Tools -> Configuration Editor. >apps -> nautilus -> preferences then turn on always_use_browser.4)you can modify what you want to have on your desktopSystem Tools -> Configuration Editor >apps -> nautilus -> desktop and uncheck the boxes that you want :hmm: :hmm: gnome getting much better, :thumbsup: anyone know anything else ??