Stop me if you've heard this before

trigggl

I know this has probably been covered before, but does anyone know or remember what causes this error?

root@fangorn:/home/greg# vi /etc/swaret.confXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specified

I believe it is because you are trying to run the program as root. ( through su command?) If so, try doing "xhost +localhost" as user first.Rodger
It doesn't prevent me from editing, it's just an annoying message I see when I'm done. Would "ZZ" to exit VI cause the message?As for the xhost command you gave, is that a permanent solution or do I need to type it in every time? It won't mess with my Internet connection will it?

As for the xhost command you gave, is that a permanent solution or do I need to type it in every time?  It won't mess with my Internet connection will it?
That is a permanent solution Greg . . . the complete drill actually is:If you get the following error message in the console:
xlib: connection to 0.0 refused by serverxlib: no protocol specified
The solution is: (as normal user)
$ xhost +localhost

and (as root)

# set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

:D Bruno

Thanx for the solution. I have been doing $ xhost +localhost for like a month on SimplyMepis 2004.06.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of temporary solutions.
root@fangorn:/home/greg# set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0root@fangorn:/home/greg# vi /etc/swaret.confXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedroot@fangorn:/home/greg# exitexitgreg@fangorn:~$ xhost +localhostlocalhost being added to access control listgreg@fangorn:~$ suPassword:root@fangorn:/home/greg# vi /etc/swaret.confroot@fangorn:/home/greg# set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0root@fangorn:/home/greg# vi /etc/swaret.confroot@fangorn:/home/greg#
Looks like it worked. I guess the user command has to be done before the root command.

I guess the user command has to be done before the root command.
LOL . . . Greg . . . wasn't that the way I posted it ?? :P B) :) . . . . LOL !!B) Bruno

LOL . . . that is how you can recognize the REAL Explorer . . . . . tying all possibilities and don't go for the obvious first option !! . . LOL . . fair play to you Greg !! B)( sorry, I just had to tease you a bit :P ):) Bruno

That is a permanent solution Greg . . . the complete drill actually is:If you get the following error message in the console:The solution is: (as normal user)
$ xhost +localhost

and (as root)

# set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

B) Bruno

It didn't work. It still does it after a reboot.

I think you have to use the export command to make the change permanent (outside the existing shell) like this (after the SET command):export DISPLAY

Hi Greg . . could you test that "export DISPLAY" ??I think this is a bug in KDE 3.3 because it only happens in distros that use 3.3B) Bruno

Hi Greg . . could you test that "export DISPLAY" ??I think this is a bug in KDE 3.3 because it only happens in distros that use 3.3B) Bruno
okay, I've run the commands and now I'm going to reboot

Didn't work

greg@fangorn:~$ suPassword:root@fangorn:/home/greg# vi /etc/swaret.confXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedroot@fangorn:/home/greg#

securitybreach

It still doesnt work for me and I am running SimplyMepis 2004.06. I use Xfce with some KDE 3.3 apps. I am running Eterm trying to run Synaptic which isnt a KDE program so maybe this isnt a KDE bug. Probably some wrong configuration somewhere.

security@1[~]$ suPassword: su: Authentication failureSorry.security@1[~]$ suPassword: root@[security]# synapticXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specified(synaptic:1872): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:  root@[security]#

Its been happening so long I am kinda used to it. Thanx

Edited by securitybreach

Strangely I've noticed that xhost +localhost doesn't work for me anymore. But if I run:xhost +It works fine (until the next boot or login, that is). I'm still using SUSE 9.1 which doesn't use KDE 3.3.Warning: Using the above command turns off access control altogether so don't use if you're not behind a firewall or on a system that multiple people access (e.g. server). People can spy in on your Xsession, grab keystrokes, etc. That's probably why X has such restrictions on it in the first place.

• 1 month later...
I believe it is because you are trying to run the program as root. ( through su command?) If so, try doing "xhost +localhost" as user first.Rodger

I'm getting tired of this again. Surely there is a setup file somewhere I could edit this into to be run at every login. Any ideas of which file that would be? If it's a KDE problem perhaps it's in the kde settings somewhere?

Hi GregUsusally you would put a line in rc.local . . but that would make that the command is run as root . . . so what you do to run it is user is put a one-line-script ( bash-script see Tips ) in ~/.kde/Autostart . . . and make it executable with chmod 775 . . . That way it will be executed as "user" and at the end of the boot-process when KDE is starting :DB) Bruno

Why noy just start the whole thing from a script?

#!/bin/sh# first set displayxhost +localhost#change to rootsu#enter password#start programvi /etc/swaret.conf
Save the whole thing as vi_swaret.shMake it executable... "chmod a+x vi_swaret.shopen terminal and run ... "sh vi_swaret.shShould work. Shouldn't it?By the way, "xhost -localhost" should set display back to normal afterwards. Rodger Edited by RD1

Well, I made a file called "xhostrc". Here are the contents:

#!/bin/bashxhost +localhost#End script

At first, I forgot to put the first line in it. That's when I took the time to check the tips and did it right. When I logged in, I would get the command in a text editor.After remembering to edit the bin/bash line in, it still wouldn't work. It took a while for me to remember that I was currently root and that I needed to be a regular user for it to work. :w00t: It was a comedy of errors, but I finally figured it out. So, to make a long story short, the above file is what's working for me.

LOL . . . well I see that there is at least ONE thing you did not forget and that was to make it executable . . . LOL . . . see that is progress :w00t: . . . Sundays are funny days to have the gray cells working . . . . :PAnyway I am glad it does the trick :DB) Bruno

• 2 months later...

For some reason, this isn't working anymore.Bruno, would you have any idea why? Anyone? The file is still there and still executable, but it's not executing when I log in.Could this be because of the KDM login?

Edited by trigggl

Hi GregMaybe add those lines to rc.local if kde/Autostart is starting it to late . . . :thumbsup: Bruno